• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who is to blame?

When is 2020ma not really 2020ma?

When it's powering a super LCD3 screen, that's when. These screens, sourced from Sharp, are incredibly energy efficient and draw far less power than equivalent sized AMOLED screens. I think it would be wise for us all to withold jusdegement of this beast's battery life until we have it in our hands and see what it's capable of. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it equals or betters the GS3 in real world conditions. I think many of us are quick to rush to judgement and just assume that the phone's battery is woefully underpowered when that might not be the case at all. After all, HTC was and is not oblivious to the fact that most of us want our phones to make it though at least eight hours of moderate to heavy use and it really wouldn't have been that hard to design in a 2500+ma battery if they believed it would be necessary.

Just sayin'. ;-)

I fully understand your point. HTC managed to keep the 5", 1080p DNA battery life close to GS3 by using more efficient SLCD3 screen, S4 pro chip. But still I wonder why HTC couldn't put bigger battery in this large phone. This phone has larger, thicker body than Maxx HD, but its battery capacity is only 61% of Maxx. If Moto can put 3300mah into smaller body why can't HTC stuff even 2500 in bigger phone?

I don't think DNA battery life will be big issue for normal usage. It's just that a lot of folks (including me) anticipated 2500mAh in DNA based on rumors and got hugely disappointed at 2020mAh after official announcement. Also historically HTC has not been great on battery life for the most part, and many of us hoped DNA would turn that reputation around. To do that, HTC needs to make battery life excellent, not just good enough in my opinion.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
I fully understand your point. HTC managed to keep the 5", 1080p DNA battery life close to GS3 by using more efficient SLCD3 screen, S4 pro chip. But still I wonder why HTC couldn't put bigger battery in this large phone. This phone has larger, thicker body than Maxx HD, but its battery capacity is only 61% of Maxx. If Moto can put 3300mah into smaller body why can't HTC stuff even 2500 in bigger phone?

I don't think DNA battery life will be big issue for normal usage. It's just that a lot of folks (including me) anticipated 2500mAh in DNA based on rumors and got hugely disappointed at 2020mAh after official announcement. Also historically HTC has not been great on battery life for the most part, and many of us hoped DNA would turn that reputation around. To do that, HTC needs to make battery life excellent, not just good enough in my opinion.

I honestly cant say for certain, but maybe because the s4 pro, screen size, and display itself take up more room? Or HTC isn't as good as making a slim phone with a huge battery.

I don't think anyone would disagree with saying they wished there was a 2500-3300 mah battery in there, but with that said it seems to be doing alright in the test.

Upvote 0
When should we as consumers have to settle for "alright". Dont get me wrong, i am ok with "alright" most of the time. i just dont like "alright when i am forking over that kind of money. Phones are getting more and more expensive, and they are supposed to last us 2 years, unless we want to pay the off-contract price for the latest and greatest. This is what i am going to do, and i just havent decided between this and the note 2.

I have had my galaxy nexus for almost a year, and i have used just over 16 gigs just with apps and pics. It would be nice to have a phone that i wouldnt have to worry about running out of space. I am not that techy, i have a cloud account, but dont know how to use it, and i prefer not always synching my phone and computer, just to make room for something else. In the end i know as things change we will never find the perfect phone, but it would be nice to have something that would actually last me 2 years.

Reactions: mush10
Upvote 0
I decided I had to bail on getting this device. I really want to try it, but 11 gbs just isn't enough for music and videos while traveling, let alone apps. I could grab a USB, but then I need to carry an extra Mophie battery pack and USB when there are plenty of devices that fulfill these needs. I will certainly be following this forum for additional feedback on the device, but for now I will sit on the sidelines until Gen 2.

Upvote 0
Decided to change my mind. I have one set aside tomorrow to pick up. The storage still annoys me, but the rest of the package is too good to pass up. I do hope HTC can get it back together and put a true flagship device out across all carriers. Combine the One X + with the DNA and we are set.

Seems like the reviews of the battery life continue to be inconsistent - some quite bad but others saying it is decent........what to do?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones