1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

who makes the most "updateable" phones?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by badkuk, Sep 25, 2010.

1. badkuk

badkuk Member

Jul 11, 2010
    specifically, which manufacturer has the best track record for providing Android OS updates for its phones/devices?

i'm planning to buy a phone real soon; probably something with at least a 3.7" screen, and a 1ghz processor...i won't be using it as my "main" phone -- i just wanna get a foot in the door with all things Android. i was more or less decided on a phone, but then i read somewhere that the manufacturer(rhymes with Smamsung :D ) isnt; very religious in providing updates for existing phones...i don't wanna spend that much money only to have it become obsolete a year later...when Froyo was barely making it to handsets, people were already talking about Gingerbread...then Honeycomb.

i think most Android apps won't be that sensitive about the OS version, but i'd really hate to miss out on the goodies that a new OS version brings. So...any suggestions? HTC perhaps? i'd like to think they have an inside track with such things. tia

Advertisement

2. Selespeed

Selespeed Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Hampshire UK
    The phone that gets android updates first is the Nexus One, made buy HTC (in conjunction with Google)

3. darklide

darklide Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Agreed Nexus One /thread.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    In short :
    Sony Erricson - fails at updates (2.1 on X10 anyone? :) )
    Motorola - provides updates, but once they stop you are out of luck unless you have Droid 1 (locked bootloader means no community updates)
    HTC - provides updates relatively quick, but often not much of them; on other side they are open, so you usually get community updates (see CyanogenMod 6 with Froyo on G1)
    Samsung - i don't know, didn't consider them so i didn't check out their update policy

And yeah, Nexus One is the developer phone, so it gets updates first, the question is how long ;).

5. Chroma

Chroma Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Nexus One

6. Kekkle

Kekkle Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Netherlands
    Nexus One as it's the only vanilla Android phone.
    HTC followed because of their support of their phones and the big community.

7. badkuk

badkuk Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Hmm, seems my country(Philippines) isn't on the Nexus' supported territories list :p

There seems to be two versions: one that does UMTS 850/1900/2100, and the other 900/AWS/2100...which has better coverage in the US? Do we expect AWS to catch on soon?

8. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    at&t (850) is the larger carrier but coverage really varies by location for any carrier.

The Droid is a Google Experience device (no UI).

9. fangorious

fangorious Guest

The "myTouch 3G 3.5 mm Jack" (not the myTouch 3G Slide) and the upcoming G2, from T-Mobile USA are both Google Experience (vanilla) phones.

T-Mobile is the only US carrier using AWS frequencies.

10. vani77a

vani77a Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Singapore
    i would say get an HTC. even if they don't provide an official update, at least you can still use custom roms.