• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Who owns the Morortola Media Dock?

Who has the media dock from Motorola and what is your opinion of it? Does it charge the phone as well?

I have it.

It has a micro USB socket so you can connect it to a charger or a USB port.

I really like it because I use my Milestone as a night clock (Bedside application).

The moment I put it in the dock the night clock comes up and the buttons at the bottom go off.

Easy way to charge the phone overnight.

Upvote 0
Yep, got one. It charges, and is quite well built. It's a nice desktop stand, but it's not super exciting.
Main problem is it's Motorola's software so is not extendable by standard widgets (if at all).

I dock at work, so would like calendar and messages, but default is just clock.
Still, you can always close the media-dock screen and return to your default home page manually every time, which is what I do.

One further annoyance is that the onscreen keyboard becomes unusable when docked (some weired hyper-sensitivity issue, no doubt because of bad coding by Motorola); so have to undock if you want to enter anything.

Upvote 0
Yep, got one. It charges, and is quite well built. It's a nice desktop stand, but it's not super exciting.
Main problem is it's Motorola's software so is not extendable by standard widgets (if at all).

Still, you can always close the media-dock screen and return to your default home page manually every time, which is what I do.

One further annoyance is that the onscreen keyboard becomes unusable when docked (some weired hyper-sensitivity issue, no doubt because of bad coding by Motorola); so have to undock if you want to enter anything.

You can install a free program called dock nothingness and set it as default dock and then when you dock the phone it will not do anything.

Alternatively, if sometimes you want to have the clock open and sometimes not, do not choose the default on and choose either nothingness or clock as required.

There are also a lot of other night clocks/ dock applications in the market, just do a search and maybe you will find what you need.

Reactions: andyclap
Upvote 0

The hyper sensitivity is a result of not being properly connected to the phone. Capacitive touchscreens like it ;)

Upvote 0
I've been using a cheap unbranded version of the Motorola Dock from eBay. It works just as well as the Motorola one* but for less than a third of the price. For all the reasons mentioned above, I love it too.

My only concern is if the life expectancy of the screen is going to be compromised by using it. Being on for just over 8 hours a night adds up to 6000 hours for the duration of my 2 year contract, and I'm just worried that a mobile screen might not be designed for that kind of use.

STM

* I thought maybe the hypersensitive screen was the fault of this dock, but I'm 'glad' to see that others have the same issue

Reactions: ongadget
Upvote 0
I've been using a cheap unbranded version of the Motorola Dock from eBay. It works just as well as the Motorola one* but for less than a third of the price. For all the reasons mentioned above, I love it too.

My only concern is if the life expectancy of the screen is going to be compromised by using it. Being on for just over 8 hours a night adds up to 6000 hours for the duration of my 2 year contract, and I'm just worried that a mobile screen might not be designed for that kind of use.

STM

* I thought maybe the hypersensitive screen was the fault of this dock, but I'm 'glad' to see that others have the same issue

I have the same concern as well. That's why I always turn off the screen before going to bed. Although, I'd love to keep it on all night. Any expert Opinion would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
not being connected to the phone with what kind of way???
so is there any solution to face this problem (hypersensitive while docking)?

thx in advance guys...

I used the onscreen keyboard when docked today and it worked fine? Had not one problem typing out a huge message... I did notice that because I have a screen protector that its not as responsive after having it on the phone for a while.

Anyone know if the dock can hurt the battery when fully charged and left docked? I hope not because it would defeat the purpose. Most of my lame phones I've owned say its not good to leave it connected when fully charged and the phone is on.

Upvote 0
Anyone know if the dock can hurt the battery when fully charged and left docked? I hope not because it would defeat the purpose. Most of my lame phones I've owned say its not good to leave it connected when fully charged and the phone is on.

Nothing will happen. The dock will be conected to a charger which has overcharge protection.

Reactions: TelusMilestone
Upvote 0
Got another one for you, will charging it half way or 3 quarters full hurt the battery? Or how about draining it all the way before charging it? I guess I could read the manual just though I would ask here first...

Eugh. Lithium Ion Battery 101:

1. Don't drain it to 0% - This will do MAJOR damage to the cells.
2. Don't charge it constantly - If you're only using it in your house, and you aren't using a cellular radio of some kind, you can probably get 3 days out of it at least before it needs a charge (general statement about Lithium Ion batteries). Charging Lithium Ion batteries isn't the best for them either, but with a cell phone its a necessary evil. Better to lose a little battery life than to be without your phone during an emergency. Charge your phone every night.
3. Lithium ion batteries can be overcharged, but it is not 1994 anymore, and modern batteries and devices have overcharge protection.
4. There is no such thing as conditioning a lithium ion battery. Hit anyone you see telling someone this with a large, heavy, steel object. Tell them to stop spreading lies, and then run away and call the police to come pick up the remains. *(Don't really do that - but seriously, you don't need to condition these batteries.)
5. EVERY single time you use about an 80% charge of a lithium ion battery its maximum charge capacity will decrease. This will happen even if you split the 80% discharge, say over 2 40% discharges, or anything else that will add up to about 80%. Eventually, the battery will become unusable. Motorola sells replacements - Deal with it.
6. Do not expose your Lithium Ion batteries to water. This includes being in the bathroom with you when you shower. the humidity CAN trigger an explosion in these batteries. Lithium is an alkali metal - like all alkali metals, when exposed to water it will explode. The lithium in your battery is no exception to this. If you suspect that your battery has been exposed to water stop using it immediately, and store it in a seal-able zip-lock bag or similar. Turn it in to a recycling facility immediately.
7. Not fully charging a lithium ion battery will not harm it in any way - it does not have a memory in that sense. also, discharging it to a specific level every day doesn't cause memory either. In fact, laptops from Lenovo actually use this property of Lithium Ion batteries to extend their lifespan by deliberately not charging them to full every time you plug the laptop in (With an override for when you need to make sure its fully charged, like if you plan to travel)
8. Every other standard battery warning applies - don't puncture it (it'll probably explode), don't expose it to extreme stress, don't hook it up backwards, don't expose it to fire (it'll probably explode) or bridge the contacts (it'll probably explode)
9. Most importantly, NEVER throw a lithium Ion battery away in regular trash, they are HIGHLY toxic and need to be recycled properly (and not the shipped to china where they end up in a landfill properly - real live battery recycling. An industry that DOES still exist in the United States)

if this post is scary, just realize how insanely stupid you have to be and deliberately ignore several warnings to make the battery explode. Lithium makes a pretty toxic mess when it explodes, I've done it several times working as a lab assistant at my college. Just don't do it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones