1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Who uses Hangouts as default sms app?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by MLSS, Jul 21, 2014.

1. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

Has anyone had any issues since the last couple of updates?

Sometimes I don't get notifications for new messages, and when I archive a conversation the message to undo it at the bottom of the screen won't go away. I also noticed that Hangouts is a little bit laggy now. It is slow to switch between messages.

I hate that they took away the swipe to archive.

Advertisement

2. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

I'm not having issues with notifications, they seem to be working fine (I get them on my active display/Moto X).

It seems to go between being laggy and not, it's not consistently either for me. I guess it just depends on the exact second when you click something.

It still takes way too long for VM to get from GV to HO's though.

3. gingersnapgirl

gingersnapgirl Android Enthusiast

This is the primary reason I don't use it. I like darker themes, and Google seems to be staunchly avoiding the use of darker color schemes.

MLSS likes this.
  4. Divergent

Divergent Well-Known Member

I don't use it as hangouts SMS client because it will confuse me, i used my default stock sms client.

5. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

I had to stop using it as my default sms client. I still use hangouts though.

6. niswander91

niswander91 Lurker

I always want more customization options with my apps but i do think hangouts does just about everything well. Tried hello for a while but it was too glitchy. The one thing i would like them to add is custom vibration support, little frustrating that it doesnt have that.

7. alanbingham27

alanbingham27 Well-Known Member

What I think let's it down is the lack of customisation for chat bubbles. The green bubble for a hangout is nice but text bubble is white, so sender and receiver is white. Really annoying.

8. maritzaah

maritzaah Lurker

This may be a stupid question , but when you use Hangouts , does it show that you sent it from an email or your actual cell phone number ?

9. alanbingham27

alanbingham27 Well-Known Member

If you send a hangout the chat bubble appears green and tells you it has been sent by hangout. If SMS, the bubble is white. At the bottom left of the screen it gives you the option of flicking between hangout/sms. I hate how you cant change colours of sms bubbles, white on white is horrendous.