• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whoa Nexus One!

ianr

Android Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2009
Got my Nexus One on Monday night, now this is a fantastic phone!

Compared to the hero it's snappy, feels great and the screen is an eye-opener. At first I was disappointed with the contacts app (no groups), the phone dialer (no phone-pad dialling shortcuts to contacts) and the keyboard (different), but it's turned out that there are plenty of positives with those that outweigh the disadvantages.

So why a Nexus One and not the HTC equivalent? Basically the Hero still doesn't have 2.1 and I don't fancy waiting for ages for the equivalent updates for their new phones. HTC Sense never really won me over enough to make it a winner, it's nicer looking than straight android but the delays in updates and the small incompatibilities make it not worth it for me.

It would be nice to have more screens (5 instead of 7) but I just use folders more now, so no great problem. I could install an alternative home screen but just don't have a need for it.

I'm also won over by the touch-screen buttons, I thought I'd prefer physical buttons but I now prefer the touch-screen buttons, it makes using the phone one-handed easier as you need less pressure to hit them, it took a few hours to get used to it but after that, I preferred the touch buttons.

The speed and screen make it a real leap from the Hero though. Only Copilot can bring the phone to a crawl, but that could bring anything to its knees! Copilot is snappier but it's still rather unreactive, needing plenty of prods on the buttons to make it go, but not as bad as it was on the Hero.

I don't like the unlock screen as much as the Hero version, and I've not quite got used to the phone answering procedure, you have to swipe a tab sideways, it does have the advantage of not hitting the hangup or answer buttons by accident when taking the phone out, but I never really did that more than once or twice anyway. The in-call menus are much better than on the Hero though, the proximity sensor wakes the screen up as soon as you take the phone away from your face and the buttons are all there ready to hit, e.g. keypad, speaker and so on. No fiddling with menu buttons or accidentally hanging up the phone when waking the screen up!

It seems to pick up signals better than the hero too, and the web browser is fantastic.

Excellent device, well worth the money.

It's the next step on from the Hero, I'm not going to go sideways and get a Hero competitor, that would be pointless, it is a competitor with the HTC Desire, but as I said in my post above, I'm not happy with HTC's updates, wasn't that keen on Sense, and given that I only keep my phones for about 8 months or so I thought I'd try straight android instead. I might come back to HTC next time, time will tell.

But the step up from the Hero is very significant, so either with an N1 or a Desire, it's a worthy upgrade!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones