• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Who's dropped theirs so far? Any damage?

Have you dropped your Captivate yet?

• Yes, with a case, no damage!

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Yes, with a case, but it still got damaged.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, naked, no damage!

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Yes, naked, and it got damaged.

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

Jofaba

Android Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2010
I dropped mine about 1-2 feet onto the sidewalk and the glass shattered. I'm currently trying to decide whether I want to pay the $162 to get it fixed or sell it for parts on ebay. Thing is, Samsung claims they've only had to replace the glass on 3 captivates so far, and I cannot find a single screen-damaged Captivate on ebay past or present. Did I just have really really bad luck with my drop? I find it hard to believe that so few are getting broken.

This isn't a bitch thread, I'm genuinely curious. Also, if you dropped yours with a case and the case saved it, please post which case you have. If I do fix and keep my Captivate I want to get a really protective case for it.

I dropped mine the third day I had it from a 4' 3" countertop to a hard ceramic tile floor. Somehow I suppose it landed on the lower left corner and suffered no damage. I have since put the body glove tpu on it and like it..I didn't like the silicone case I put on it after that. I'd prefer no case, but it is a slippery device

Upvote 0
I wrapped mine in a body glove snap on case as soon as I took it out of the box. couple days later I dropped it getting out of my truck, approx 4.5' down to the cement curb/asphalt...the case opened up on one side but the phone stayed in undamaged. very small scratch on the case. i'm a really big fan of the case I got. it has a very nice feel to it, easy in and out of pockets, grabs the phone really well and if you choose to use the belt clip you get a kickstand that works well in both portrait and landscape.

Upvote 0
The phone is made of cheap plastic, I'd imagine it will take some serious damage if dropped to a hard floor. My intuition tells me when Samsung claimed "they've only had to replace the glass on 3 captivates so far" is bullshit, over 1 million Galaxy 9000s models were sold in the first month and there got to be more than 3 broken screens.

Upvote 0
yeah! I dropped mine while getting out of the car and broke the screen. It still works but I want to cry every time I look at it. I have tape over it right now but will be getting a new in 2 weeks. I can't recommend it enough! GET A CASE!!! I didn't have a case because I couldn't find one in person and was to lazy to order one online. But I've learned my lesson; all $150 of it.

Upvote 0
yeah! I dropped mine while getting out of the car and broke the screen. It still works but I want to cry every time I look at it. I have tape over it right now but will be getting a new in 2 weeks. I can't recommend it enough! GET A CASE!!! I didn't have a case because I couldn't find one in person and was to lazy to order one online. But I've learned my lesson; all $150 of it.

See this section of the Captivate FAQ:

Repair - CapFAQ

Upvote 0
I am very clumsy when it comes to phones and have dropped my phone several times, usually 3-4 feet onto hardwood floors. Luckily I have both a silicone case and the heavy duty screen protector on it so it hasn't suffered any damage whatsoever. So I'm either protecting it properly or I have been very lucky so far.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones