1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Who's fed up with VZW?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by GalaxyNexus, May 29, 2012.

1. Demache

Demache Android Expert
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    But what I was wondering is if there is any way you can actually tell. I'm not sure if I can. 4G is fast as always, probably because they aren't allowed to throttle that. But 3G is pretty mediocre, with maybe 500 kbps if I'm lucky downstream.

Advertisement

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  2. in2uition

in2uition Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 13, 2010
    Philly
    I think you can perform a speed test on your phone before and after you past that limit and see if you're being throttled.

In regards to VZW CS, I've always had a good experience on those rare moments I go to the store or make a phone call.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  3. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    Male
    Phila, PA
    Were your issues in store or on the phone? I've never had issues on the phone but have run into a prick in the store one time. I think you are more likely to have issues in store as the phone csr's are probably better trained to deal with customer issues where store staff is probably more focused on sales.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  4. red66charger

red66charger Android Expert
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    Television Production, Producer/Director, Editor
    Belleair Bluffs, FL
    On the phone. It was a tier 2 supervisor from what I could tell. I do have hi employee number. He was very arrogant and acted completely without class. I really wonder how he keeps his job because his customer relations tact could use some improvement. It was very hard to keep my cool. Not just because of my issue, but the way I was treated. I came from a long relationship with Alltel...that's how long we've been with VZW.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  5. callmeox

callmeox Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Paid geek
    NE Ahia
    Am I imagining things or is the difference between the throttling practices of VZW's and ATT based on location?

IIRC, when you hit the magic number ATT throttles you everywhere, but VZW only throttles you on congested towers during peak use times.

The last point is probably a discussion for a different thread, but unless VZW knocks me down and takes my lunch money I'm not going anywhere. The coverage in my area is stellar and trumps any perceived lateness in rolling out an incremental OS update.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  6. GalaxyNexus

GalaxyNexus Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 12, 2011
    Male
    LifeGuard, Weight Lifter
    Bikini Bottom
    This.

7. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    I cant leave Verizon just yet. I always, always put carrier first, phones 2nd.

I have been living and working in a weak reception area since 2008. So far Verizon and AT&T are the best for me. AT&T might be a lil better. My PS Vita data reception in my apt is the best vs. any smartphone I had on Verizon. My apt is a dead zone...lol.

Unlimited data going away is the only thing having me look around. That and possibly better service with AT&T where I work n live.

The wildcard is always how does the carrier's service do away from home n work. T Mobile might be good in my surrounding area. But Sprint isnt. So that unlimited data on Sprint does me no good.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  8. krouget

krouget Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 13, 2010
    I've not been fond of VZW's recent decisions and it's more than lead me to think twice about the company, but so far as customer service goes, they've done an outstanding job, in my experiences.

I remember when they started their in-network free calling thing and I went in to have my plan changed to take advantage of it. Somehow, the person at the store didn't do what I asked and the end result was a bill of over $600 at the end of the month. After a call where I politely made my case, and showed that all of the minutes were to the same VZW customer after the day I changed my plan, they apologized for their screw-up and credited my account, in total-- no debate or hassle.

It's been one of many times they've helped me, too. In general, where I become critical of a company (or person), isn't in the mistake itself, but in how you fix it.

That said, I'm still not fond of the nickel-and-diming.

jroc and GalaxyNexus like this.
  9. jova33

jova33 Android Expert
    None

Oct 19, 2011
    militar
    El Paso
    I hate VZW. The only reason I've stayed with them and their high prices is because I get signal everywhere. Well not everywhere, but alot of times when no one else has signal, I do. I travel alot and need service.

Customer service sucks. I didn't have a smartphone until last year, so I didn't have a data plan or internet on my flip phone. One bill I had a $64 data charge. I had to argue for 45 mins over the phone that it was impossible for me to use data. Then finally the last agreed to credit my account back. Its like this every time I get some random charge on my bill.
    I was deployed to Iraq, so I had my two lines suspended. I returned and I told them to deactivate one line and start my main line back. They restated both lines...

Sent using Tapatalk, the free one.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  10. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    I'm also one who had good, great customer service from them. It actually made me change my mind about cancelling my contract.

I lost and had my phone stolen more times than the insurance would cover. I was months into the contract so the ETF was smaller. I informed Verizon about this and after a few holds on the line....got a new phone at the upgrade price. And...I think I got them to put me in a phone that just came out.

And...Verizon has let me be real late on my bill, even times I billed the phone to my account. It took about 3 moths to pay off the phone billed to my account. I have read its supposed to be paid by the next bill.

When I wanted the Droid 1 I was months away from being able to get it...probably 6+ months. After a few tries online and calls....I was all of a sudden sent a special promotion email for early upgrades.

I know there are probably customer service horror stories and praises from every carrier...but Verizon has been good for me.

11. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    it works great. Not only for my Nexus but my wife's VZW phone as well. You can set up a priority list online for only certain numbers to access it so your neighbors can't use it. I got full 3G -75dbm with it on. Network Extenders as of yet don't do 4G which is fine with me. i have WiFi at home for data.

Someone asked if anyone has ever had a good customer experience with VZW.

To be fair i don't think i've ever had a bad customer experience really.

Outatime and jroc like this.
  12. GalaxyNexus

None

Nov 12, 2011
    Male
    LifeGuard, Weight Lifter
    Bikini Bottom
    So, has anyone made the switch from LTE Nexus to GSM nexus?

13. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Programmer
    Columbia, SC
    I have made the change from a vzw nexus to a GSM one.

14. GalaxyNexus

None

Nov 12, 2011
    Male
    LifeGuard, Weight Lifter
    Bikini Bottom
    Have you noticed a big difference between the two? If you had to make the choice between LTE and GSM regardless of money, which one would you choose?

Also, have you noticed a big difference in battery life?

15. jova33

jova33 Android Expert
    None

Oct 19, 2011
    militar
    El Paso
    I want to know too. The VZW GNex costs, what, 799 without contract? The GSM straight from google is 300 or 400?

16. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Sorry to interrupt the conversation, but I have to interject this real quick:

I can give you MY opinion: Verizon is #1 in carrier service and customer service. But I think they pretty much stink at supporting and updating their devices in a timely manner... especially devices that have been out for more than a few months. Rolling out a badly needed OTA over 10 days? Come on!

So today I decided that if anything was going to go wrong with my phone, it would have by now. And all I really want from Verizon is their data and phone service. That's what I pay them handsomely for. I do not want or need them telling me HOW to use my phone and what I can & can't do with it.

I never thought I'd root it. After having ROMmed my OG Droid, I vowed to just be a happy stock user of my Nexus. But I just wasn't happy anymore.

Using Wug's Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit and online step-by-step instructions, I quickly and easily wiped, unlocked, rooted and put a 4.0.4 custom ROM on my phone. And I only have one regret: I should have done it a lot sooner.

My 0.02 :)

Okay folks, back to your regularly scheduled programming!

iowabowtech, GalaxyNexus and jbdan like this.
  17. GalaxyNexus

None

Nov 12, 2011
    Male
    LifeGuard, Weight Lifter
    Bikini Bottom
    $400 from Google. :p

18. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 14, 2009
    I'm goog with Verizon only as long as my grandfathered unlimited plan stays in tact. Once Verizon weasels it's way out of providing me that service, I'm leaving. Their prices are actually too expensive for the services they are providing. Tiered data and upgrade fees. I think alot of people on this forum have been riding on their current contract but doen't realize how expensive they have gotten. Just upgrading my wife to an iPhone 4s was steep, not to mention that it's basically a dead end data plan now b/c of their backtrack on 4g. On a basic level, I live in Atlana metro area and Sprint could probably serve my needs.

19. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    N/W Ohio
    I'm not really fed up with them at all. Sure the update should have came sooner but I'm not gonna jump ship over it.

Outatime likes this.
  20. Ed5275

Ed5275 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 10, 2010
    Risk Management
    Harrisburg, PA
    I can't justify dropping a cell carrier because of internet rumors not coming true fast enough. I also couldn't see dropping a cell provider because I bought a phone that didn't live up to my expectations...that would be on me, not VZW.

The only Google-related thing I see Verizon advertising is that it runs 4.0. I don't see "pure Google" anywhere.

jroc and jbdan like this.
  21. tomato88

tomato88 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 13, 2010
    Male
    Grad student
    Northern VA
    For now I will see how the shared data plan turns out. If it isn't favorable, I'm jumping to other carrier.

22. jova33

jova33 Android Expert
    None

Oct 19, 2011
    militar
    El Paso
    I dunno. Another problem I've had with Verizon is I live near the border if Mexico. So every now and then my phone will hit a tower in Mexico and I'll get outrageous roaming charges. And then I have to call and argue forever because I've never stepped foot into Mexico.
    "I can't refund you the charges"
    "then put someone on the phone who can!"
    "that would be me"
    "then why don't you refund me the g-- d--- charges!!"
    "I can't refund you the charges."

23. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    Turn off roaming man. Is the extra charges and/or hassle worth the slightly improved coverage? Ask yourself that question... :)

24. Raftysworld

Raftysworld Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 16, 2010
    I switched from a VZW Nexus to a GSM one, with the T-Mobile pre-paid plan ($30/month). Could not be happier.

My leaving Verizon had little to do with the update... but more like a trend of degradation in their consumer friendliness.
    - Imminent loss of unlimited data
    - Constant addition of new fees
    - Poor customer service (in my case)
    - Poor phone selection, bloated phones, lack of updates, etc

The advantages that I now receive:
    - Literally saving $50/month, $600/year on my cellphone plan
    - Updates straight from Google
    - No contract whatsoever (if T-Mobile starts sucking more, I can just pop in a new SIM card and carry on
    - Better resale value (since its a GSM phone)
    - International support
    - 5GB of unthrottled data with no overages, versus 2GB on Verizon

The disadvantages
    - Loss of LTE (which is also somewhat of an advantage considering the battery drain was horrible on the VZW Nexus but great on my GSM one)
    - Worse coverage in some rural areas

I think so long as there is sufficient coverage in the area where you will be using your phone, its almost insane not to go the pre-paid GSM route. I'm absolutely thrilled. I think for me the single biggest improvement is not being under contract. Knowing that I can jump around month to month and really shop for the best carrier, rather than being beholden to one.

krouget, in2uition, Optimus and 4 others like this.
  25. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 14, 2009
    I use less than 300min per month that T-Mobile prepaid sounds like it would be ideal. The only problem is T-Mobile's call quality and coverage are pretty bad...but the sacrifice sounds feasible they way you stated it.

Tags: