1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Who's keeping their Prime?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by andygu3, Jan 3, 2012.

?

Who's keeping their Prime

1. Keeping their Prime

48 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. Returning/Cancelling order Prime

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Lewis Center, OH
    Keeping?

Returning/Cancelling?

Since the GPS issue has been confirmed, wondering what everyone will do now?

Advertisement

2. rsarno

rsarno Thank Me, Im Irish!
    None

Jun 6, 2010
    Westchester, NY
    Too soon to vote just yet, for me anyway.

MUST see how this tablet responds to ICS. But ill say this ... i have very little room for error once ICS hits.

It will either be a smooth update with incredible improvements in performance ... or im walking into BestBuy the next day.

Too many options on the market right now, and coming very soon .. to be screwing around with anything less than flawless.

andygu3 likes this.
  3. rdalev

rdalev Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    AMT
    Fayette, Ga.
    Bought mine from BB online and actually will be getting tomorrow. What is the return window from BB.

Would also like a little ICS time before a possible return..........I really want to like this device !

andygu3 likes this.
  4. Gatman

Gatman Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Male
    Bean counter
    Cleveland, OH
    14 days for tablets --> BB Return Policy

What I'm not clear on is if it's 14 days from when it ships or from when you receive it. Since they say you need the packing slip, I would err on the side of 14 days from shipment to be safe. That time is up for me before the reported 1/12 arrival of ICS. :(

andygu3 likes this.
  5. BIG CAT 7

BIG CAT 7 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    MICHIGAN
    This tablet was built in preparation for ICS so I am sure it will be even better than it is now. One good thing about Asus is the fact that they are communicating with everyone and have sent out a few updates since the launch which to me means that they are looking for perfection as well. Once mine gets here it will stay.

I have waffled between about 4-5 different tablets over the past two weeks and it came down to the Ipad 2 and this one and I am taking a stab at the TFP. I think I made the right choice and won't regret it for it being my first tablet :)

andygu3 likes this.
  6. rsarno

None

Jun 6, 2010
    Westchester, NY
    We all sort of got them around the same time didn't we? Could it be that Jan 12 is more than 14 days beyond the first major batches coming out of retailers online ... intentionally?

If i was Mr. Asus and i just released a product that was subpar, so i had the masses awaiting an update which will suposedly fix it ... but if i knew it would in fact NOT fix it, i would make every effort to stop the masses from returning. Wouldnt I?

7. rz22g

rz22g Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Have 3 in the family and they are all going back. The GPS was the deciding factor. I have also noticed painfully slow USB transfers. LightBleed on all three but was able to exchange one locally by luck and got one without any notable bleed.

There is navigation software on the system with turn by turn voice. Unlike some, I think the GPS was intended for use as navigation at least to some degree and it just fails at doing so. This is a specification, although not the only one, that I took into consideration when purchasing this over the Non GPS iPad 2. I paid full price therefore should get full function, othewise price needs to be adjusted.

andygu3 likes this.
  8. Zebulon

Zebulon Android Enthusiast
    None

I'm definitely keeping mine. Everything has been flawless, except for the GPS, which works fine, but isn't terribly accurate. I was never going to use it for navigation or anything like that anyways.

9. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Android Expert
    None

Oct 17, 2009
    Ugghhh. I am really wanting this tablet but the GPS issue has me hesitating. I have a boat and it would be awfully nice to use this thing and some marine software and use it as a chartplotter....especially with the extra bright screen!!! Anyway, I think I will go with it anyway. I am in possession of an iPad2 that is inside of the 14 day window. I am not over or underwhelmed by it but I am Android to the core and it is....boring! Anyway, TFP here I come.

markbc and andygu3 like this.
  10. rz22g

rz22g Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    I do wish though that there was some user mod that could be done to the case to fix this. I think that cutting a section of the shell and replacing it with a colored piece of plastic to blend, would probably make all the difference.

markbc likes this.
  11. theandies

theandies Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 15, 2011
    Field Service Engineer
    Warrenton, Va
    I'm with you. Have had no problems with mine. GPS is ok but I have a better solution for that if I want turn-by-turn navigation.

andygu3 likes this.
  12. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Android Expert
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Medical Doctor
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Could care less about GPS on my tablet myself, but can fully understand that others use varies and this will be a biggy for some (like our mariner up the page).

Galaxy Note has the best GPS I've ever used with barometer and GLONASS support, so I'll just be using that.

andygu3 likes this.
  13. thomslik

thomslik Lurker
    None

Dec 9, 2011
    It's already gone! No more Asus problems for me!

Good luck to those of you who decided to keep it.

andygu3 likes this.
  14. Gatman

None

Jun 27, 2010
    Male
    Bean counter
    Cleveland, OH
    I've decided to return it tonight after work. I want to like it and keep it, but the deciding factor that pushed me over the fence was app availability in ICS. I just went over to the Galaxy Nexus forum and looked through the threads about software that wasn't updated for ICS and it kinda bummed me out.

I tinker with my PC and my phone...I really am not looking for another piece of tech to tinker with. I'm wanting something I can sit down and use to read the news, read books, surf and play the occasional game. I don't think the Prime is going to be that device for me. I've had it about a week, and I've spent 7 days researching the various topics on the forum instead of enjoying it for what I wanted to use it for. I don't think the ICS upgrade will be without some bumps in the road, and I don't want to wait for software to be updated for ICS. I realize all this will likely happen in a relatively short period of time, but my busy season at work starts this week and runs through February, and I really want something I can use immediately without a lot of tweaking.

In hindsight, I should have realized a new product would probably have some bumps in the road initially, and I'm pleased to see Asus stepping up to address them. I think it's a fine piece of hardware, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it matures with the ICS update. I just don't think it's the right device for me right now based on my needs/wants.

~Gary

markbc and andygu3 like this.
  15. Treknologist

Treknologist Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    Male
    Coral Gables, FL
    I'm keeping mine. I can care less for the GPS function (I never expected it to have it anyway). This tablet was designed for ICS and that's coming next week. No tablet is for everyone, so if you don't like it, don't keep it.

andygu3 likes this.
  16. BDBMike

BDBMike Member
    None

Apr 16, 2011
    full time student, which means I'm too lazy to get
    Florida
    Been playing with mine for about 3 hours and its a definite yes from me. Super smooth, snappy transitions, wifi is good, GPS seems to be very accurate, and the camera absolutely blew me away... Amazing pictures in low light. Opera browser is defifinitely better than stock, and I'm experimenting with slideit and swiftkey which unsurprisingly blow the stock kb away. I was worried it was going to feel cheap but the build quality seems legit. I'm experiencing zero lightbleed as well... Really thought with my luck id have some kind of problem, but my prime seems perfect. One thing is rather odd,I ordered the grey one from bestbuy and to my pleasant surprise i received the champagne... Did this happen to anyone else who ordered from bb around the 24th?

andygu3 likes this.
  17. BDBMike

BDBMike Member
    None

Apr 16, 2011
    Florida
    Nevermind my above post about receiving the chamchampagne...just read that its just darker then it appears. kind of threw me off because it definitely resembles pics of the champagne rather then grey

18. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Android Expert
    None

Feb 8, 2010
    won the lottery
    WestSiiiide
    keeping.

NOT happy with GPS. Happy with ICS in 2 weeks or less. Happy with root there after. Maybe root can help some of the GPS issues as I really think and believe in software as a culprit as much as the claimed metal case. Happy with the tablet overall as it is pretty awesome.

andygu3 likes this.
  19. houtx1

houtx1 Newbie
    None

May 10, 2010
    Keeping. The GPS issue isn't a game stopper for me.

andygu3 likes this.
  20. rsarno

None

Jun 6, 2010
    Westchester, NY
    can't say I didn't see that coming, gary. I'm having similar feelings. if I didn't order a case and spend $20 on apps I might be holding a different device right now.

you going to ipad?

21. golfernut78

golfernut78 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 28, 2011
    if you stay with android then you haven't wasted the $20 in apps, they'll go to the next device.

JackG058 and andygu3 like this.
  22. Gatman

None

Jun 27, 2010
    Male
    Bean counter
    Cleveland, OH
    Yes. As much as I dislike their business tactics, it's better supported by our IT department at work, so I'll get more mileage out of it.

I did make a couple Best Buy employees' evening when I brought it in to return it this evening though. They were quite excited to have one in the store to play with. :)

~Gary

23. BDBMike

BDBMike Member
    None

Apr 16, 2011
    Florida
    Okay, spoke too soon about the hardware... Seems like the screen sticks out a little above the volume button to the point where I can push it in a little and it comes back out. Not the biggest issue but for $500 I expect a solid piece of hardware. Does anyone else have this defect?

24. rsarno

None

Jun 6, 2010
    Westchester, NY
    id like to hear your feedback once you have a few days on the ipad. please do remember!

we are in similar situations im afraid.

25. Treknologist

Treknologist Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    Male
    Coral Gables, FL
    Mine doesn't have this issue. So far, I've had no hardware issues with mine but I only got it yesterday. Maybe I haven't had it long enough to discover any! Here's hoping there are none to discover.

andygu3 likes this.