1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Who's passing on Thunderbolt and waiting for something else?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by griller, Mar 19, 2011.

1. rip03

rip03 Member
    None

Mar 10, 2010
    silver spring, maryland
    THIS IS WHAT I DONT GET ABOUT VERIZON...i want the thunderbolt sooooo bad but my upgrade isnt for another 7 months..i even considered to just buy the thing full price..but now htc is starting to come out with these other rumored devices that we might see at the show the coming up.. and all happens to be rumored dual core phones.. HTC Pyramid...HTC EVO 3D...HTC SHOOTER ect ect....i love htc and would love a htc dual core even more... especially if im going to be stuck with it 1-2 years..but i dont think verizon is going to get any of these power houses coming out it always seems they are a step slow and they always been on the motorola bandwagon... but im not going to switch carriers because i do live in a 4g lte area and want an HTC 4G lte phone..DAMN U VERIZON!! if this phone came out a month ago and i never heard of these other phones i would of bought it n a heart beat! but i guess we will see what happens...

Advertisement

2. Yellow Snowman

Yellow Snowman Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 16, 2011
    You dont have to sign up for a 2 year contract, thats your choice. You can always pay for retail price and upgrade as often as you want, or sign a 1 year contract and upgrade every 10 months

3. BzB

BzB Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 6, 2009
    i understood correctly. my cell signal is irrelevant because the phone isn't using the cell connection for anything other than receiving calls and texts. it needs to have minimal power output to cell antenna to perform those functions. the wifi antenna is carrying the most power consuming function which is the data connection. and the wifi antenna handles the data passing function more efficiently with less power consumption than the cell antenna does. this is why the phone has better battery life when having wifi on.

with wifi on you'll actually see the 4g signal in your notification bar turn off. (or 3g if you're in a 3g area). this means it's not using the cell signal for data transfers.

4. Bearly

Bearly Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010

Its my understanding that being in an area of weak cellular signal negatively impacts battery even if you're not on a call.

5. BzB

BzB Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 6, 2009
    that is accurate, but weak cell signal has much less of an impact when the phone doesn't need to maintain a data connection in 4g or 3g. with wifi on and handling the data connection it allows the cell antenna to basically run in lower power mode.

when wifi isn't on the phone has to send more power to the cell antenna to maintain a 4g or 3g connection for data communications. that eats through the battery much faster.

6. Bearly

Bearly Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010

Agreed on all points about HTC.

7. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC

I wouldn't say HTC rushed this phone out, because its been in the works for a really long time! I remember seeing pics of it floating around sometine in fall 2010. So they been at this phone for a while! However yes, you would think they would have had everything spot on when released so many months later. Either way, if the Bionic is anything like the Atrix, which it mainly is, just has an 8 mega pixel shooter, and is just a tab bigger and thicker with a real 4G radio on board, then its going to be a really really BIG hit on VZW. Holdin on to the TB for now, but the Bionic is deff my next phone from VZW.

8. Bearly

Bearly Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Keep in mind that "been in the works" can either mean the phone was with HTC before handing it off to VZW or it was with VZW and required testing for "a really long time."

And we don't know how much of that time was spent refining the device or even designing it in the early stages, or if the time was mostly spent on a bug (say power consumption) that was difficult to tackle.

I still say most mfgr don't think devices through; if they would poll users they would get a better sense of what a refined product should be like.

Why put the charging point on the side down when in landscape mode? (TB)
    Why put in such a SMALL battery?
    Why leave the gap below the glass rather than make the glass cover the entire front?
    Why not cut out an oval shape within the kickstand so the speaker grill won't have to reverb against metal when the kickstand is closed?

9. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC

My take has become...WHY ASK WHY! Lmaoooo...they don't care what we have to say! The tiny battery alone is a major downfall..but ohh well! What can ya do, do the best ya can and make it work...

10. BzB

BzB Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 6, 2009

doesn't seem rushed to me. now the blackberry storm 1, that was a rushed phone.

the charging port may be where it is because HTC had no other place to put it on the board without a significant (costly) redesign. plus considering the use of a dock and location of the camera, they didn't have much of a choice. it was an acceptable trade off. it's not like they had to include a kickstand to begin with. nor are users forced to use it. that said, i do agree that it's in a bad place but probably because they didn't have a choice.

battery size/life...could definitely be better. to think about it though, this is on par with most of the competition. although they do have slightly better battery size/life. either way this is an area where HTC has consistently been in the back of the pack. it's a very well known issue and i deal with it accordingly.

the glass size...not an issue imo. extending the glass to the edges would make the glass more damage prone, like the iphone 4. drop that phone or set it down too hard and you can chip or crack the glass edge. the chance for dust to get in seems to be isolated and not widespread at this point. any phone can have dust get in from a number of open areas (charging port, earplug, ear piece, speaker grill, etc) or from bad seals.

cutting out any portion of the kickstand or drilling holes in it could weaken it and cause it to bend or break. they should have thought of a better way to keep it from muffling sound when the kickstand is not in use though. this is an annoyance, but minor issue imo.

11. Yellow Snowman

None

Mar 16, 2011
    What they should have done with the kickstand is have it open the other way. That way if you open it you can still charge the phone. If you flip it the other way you can put it on the dock.

Bam, some guy on a message board named Yellow Snowman just solved the design flaw in 2 seconds.

12. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC

Bro ur funny! However, your completely right....

13. Magnus_CA

Magnus_CA Member
    None

Nov 20, 2009
    The battery life in the TB is considerably worst than the incredible. Hopefully that will change with more updates, custom ROM's, and kernels.

14. Bearly

Bearly Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Maybe you should chug the rest of that glass my friend... ;)

15. nateap87

nateap87 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    California
    in all honesty, the only time i've ever been impressed with a phone on verizon was when the OG droid came out. ever since then, verizon has not had a single phone that caught my eye. every other carrier has a phone that i'm almost tempted to jump ship for. at&t has the atrix, t-mobile had the g2, nexus one and s. sprint had the evo(which i don't care about anymore but now they have a 4g nexus s coming soon). i'm supposed to get my TB in the mail later today but i must say that other than the screen and lte, it's gonna give a lot of people buyers remorse a lot sooner than if they had bought other devices. the processor is behind, the styling and build are behind. the battery is behind. don't get me wrong. i'm sure it's great. but releasing technology right as newer technology is coming out is gonna bug people in a few months.

16. BzB

BzB Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 6, 2009
    if it opens the other way then that makes the ffc useless...

17. BzB

BzB Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 6, 2009
    never mind the valid responses made to your rants. perhaps you need to put down the haterade... ;)

18. BzB

BzB Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 6, 2009
    not in my experience. however, that could be because i'm on wifi most of the time. maybe tomorrow i'll go all day with 4g only and see how my battery does. haven't tried that yet...

19. slinky

slinky Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    Is the NE2 being honored any more? I do know that they aren't doing that with some discounts. I pounced on the 1 year plan I got with a discount (corporate ranges from $239 to $249) as it seems VZW is phasing out what it can in order to keep that stock up... Don't know what 4G pricing will be in a few months either... we'll see...

20. Bearly

Bearly Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Hey valid and satisfactory are independent of each other. What you call valid I call spin!

21. BzB

BzB Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 6, 2009
    lol. admittedly, my responses are all speculation since i don't know the reasons behind any of their design choices. just an educated guess.

but, maybe i am giving them too much credit for the issues you're complaining about...

22. Yellow Snowman

None

Mar 16, 2011
    ffc?

23. BzB

BzB Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 6, 2009
    ^ front facing camera.

if the kickstand opens the other way that puts the ffc at the bottom of the device which would be aiming at the users chest.