• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who's picking up the Galaxy Tab and using tethering w/ Evo?

I rooted my phone and am using the wifi hotspot for my Galaxy and IPad. Needed a end of year expense so used that as an excuse to get the Galaxy. I first had the ViewSonic GTab but took it back because it wasn't ready for prime time and the rooting instructions produced a boot loop. I liked the larger screen but find the size of the Galaxy tab is better for taking it with me to meetings.

Upvote 0
I picked up the Tab and I love it so far! Saying its just a bigger Evo sounds like everyone that said the iPad is just a bigger iPhone and no one will buy it. 8 months and 14 million iPad sales later, those people look pretty silly. The Tab has already sold 1.5 million units and its hardly been 2 months. Having owned both the iPad and now the Tab, both are different from phones.

For starters, the Tab has front and rear cameras, can shoot pics and also 720p video. The interesting thing is its only a 3.2 megapixel camera but the photo and video are about the same quality as my Evo with 8MP. I am sure the larger Tab houses a larger image sensor than the Evo, so thats a reason. The tab can also use Allshare to wirelessly display 1080p video to your HDTV, the Evo can only output at 720p and needs a hardline. The Tab will play back movies with 5.1 SRS surround sound which sounds great with headphones, the Evo can not. iPad cant do any of these either and it only has 256GB of RAM to the Tab's 512MB. The display is also much more rich and vibrant on the Tab than the Evo's slightly cool and a bit washed out look. Not to mention everything from Google maps and browsing online to Angry birds and watching movies look much better on the larger screen.

Having said all that, I am still keeping my Sprint Overdrive for 1 reason...4G If I used my Tab as a hotspot, best I could do is 3G. Would rather run the Overdrive and have my Tab on 4G :)

Upvote 0
Never thought I'd pick up a tab, but last week I did just that. It has it's quirks, but overall it's a wonderful device. I don't really understand the whole iPad vs. Tab debate. Go with the device that best suits your needs. No matter what device you choose, it's a win win.

Yep. I'm thinking I may pick up more than one becuase up need a cheaper one to carry around daily for presentations, but it needs to have some power too. So another in I may pick up is the nook color and ill root and rom it.

Upvote 0
It seems I may be in the minority with this, but I bought a Galaxy Tab off-contract with Sprint and am tethering via my Evo. I love my Evo as a phone, but the Galaxy Tab's form factor has distinct advantages for me. It is basically replacing my netbook for basic browsing and academic functions.

I have the off contract tab and a sprint on contract evo. Were you able to tether without rooting your Evo? Do you know if it is possible to tether the tab using bluetooth with the evo using Pdanet?

Upvote 0
Who's getting an Galaxy Tab at retail (without committing to contract) to use with EVO? Since I have a Evo and it's rooted, I can authorize tethering on my phone to be use with any device.

Looking for some thoughts here. I'm a Anti-apple guy and originally thought about buying a Ipad, but refused to.

I've been considering it. Although, I'd like to see the Blackberry Playbook first since I heard they're now going to allow Android AND Blackberry apps to run on it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones