• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who's planning to get the HTC Evo 3D

Will you be getting the new HTC Evo 3D

• Yes, I'm Sold

Votes: 147 76.2%
  • No, Going to another phone

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Not Sure, Still to soon

Votes: 43 22.3%

• Total voters
Upvote 0
I changed my mind, I'm getting the 3d, even though I don't really like 3d yet. I do however, like all of the other features, and hopefully look forward to improved battery life, and application management. I also hope google does make sure companies upgrade in a more timely fashion.

Truthfully i would upgrade for better battery management alone. If siedo comes out with a 3500 for this phone maybe i could get the type of battery life I have always wanted with the evo. Plus like many I like new tech. The only new tech I get is a macbook pro every three to four years and new phones. I am not into ipad mania as of yet, and even though I love macs, I don't like the iphone.

Reactions: toolwarrior
Upvote 0
Just wondering what people are thinking.

Personally, while I'm anxious for the release of the phone, I'm still dubious of how effective the 3D will be used, but more so curious about it.

I hope it leads to some new innovations and not simply Angry Birds 3D (though that might be cool too)

Is anyone still considering any other phones?

I'd still like to see more of the Galaxy S2 variation that Sprint will most likely get.

I'm also a little worried about HTC apparently locking their devices down more effectively.

Apparently the only way developers got around to unlocking the Thunderbolt with relative ease was due to the fact that an earlier leaked build of the factory rom without protection was found.

If you found out the EVO3D was locked down pretty tight, would you still get it?

I would honestly have to reconsider my purchase seriously if that were the case.

Upvote 0
I've been looking forward to something new, and this is the only thing in the forseeable future that grabs me. I was really excited before and around CTIA, but unfortunately, it's beginning to wane with the new information slowing to below a trickle. I want it, but just as much, I just want a release date so I have something to be excited about again.

Almost makes me pine for the Verizon way of doing things. Announcing and then launching very quickly (or Apple for that matter?)

Upvote 0
I'm also a little worried about HTC apparently locking their devices down more effectively.

Apparently the only way developers got around to unlocking the Thunderbolt with relative ease was due to the fact that an earlier leaked build of the factory rom without protection was found.

The Tbolt bootloader was no more secure than any previous HTC phone. locked and required signed images. Same as always. Initial reports were wrong to think that it was, and FUD spread for no reason.

The Engineering HBOOT would be what you're referring to as the leaked factory ROM. It's what the bootloader runs while still in testing phase. It's unlocked (S-OFF) so you can flash a custom recovery and therefore flash a custom operating system. That's exactly how all previous HTC phones got fully rooted. The Eng HBOOT image is also signed by HTC, so the bootloader accepts it. That ENG HBOOT always gets leaked. Nothing's changed.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sold on it. I'm honestly not worried about the locking down because HTC has always been good with those sorts of things, i couldn't imagine why this would be any different. Also I'd prefer the EVO3D over the GS2. For 1 the Super AMOLED screen is pretty overrated in my opinion and always has an over-saturated blue tint on it. I'm much preferring the SLCD provided by the EVO3D along with the qHD resolution. The 3D capabilities is also a biggie for me. Even if a person isn't into 3D, there's no telling what types of innovations we will see with this and you're almost guaranteed that the EVO3D will be relevant in the coming year. I also like having an LED notification light, which I believe the GS2 doesn't have. The larger battery will be pretty nice as well, along with the more efficient processor and SLCD screen. And a major deciding point, HTC sense, untouched by iO.. I mean TouchWiz(Get it?).

Upvote 0
You can't win, break even or leave the game.

The Thunderbolt gang was really getting twisted signals on the release - seems the iPhone did have some precedence after all.

And every year - Apple fans are certain some leak will give the real date and features ahead of time.

We all know that Sprint tends to release new phone in June - the Evo came out June 4th - and they've already said - Summer of 2011.

So, all things considered, we have a ballpark.

Somehow - I suspect that the dearth of info won't go on too much longer.

Or - they don't get how to work the crowd.

Or - their supply chain might be in question with the Japanese tragedy after all and they're doing the only thing they can with silence.

But in case someone's listening - how about a vid besides the 40+ second one on the HTC web and besides the great one from the show - like the one from the show, only without the background noise.

The phone's going worldwide - it deserves a nice VP vid like the Sense intro - or a behind the scenes look like the Flyer/View got.

It REALLY does - how about it, HTC? :)

Upvote 0
I have great expectations for this phone.

I posted HTC's call for display experts for hire with 3D and e-ink experience last year, for their North Carolina facility. They've been working on this for some time, using the core R&D group and not just integrating and slapping together whatever's coming off the lines in Asian software duck factories.

I think there's more to the whole phone than we've been told.

Upvote 0
HTC has said they have secondary supply chains and will be unaffected by the Japan quakes/tsunami/meltdown.

But HTC might be delaying their tablets due to poor reception of the Xoom.

Good to hear about the secondary chains. I know several companies have been hit crazy hard by that disaster, Toyota especially.

Second point though.. I hate reading that. lol The XOOM is such a nice piece of machinary, especially in comparison with the IPad that it's disappointing it's had such a poor showing. I had high hopes for the thing.. What're you gonna do when the consumer just doesn't bite though?

Upvote 0
Second point though.. I hate reading that. lol The XOOM is such a nice piece of machinary, especially in comparison with the IPad that it's disappointing it's had such a poor showing. I had high hopes for the thing.. What're you gonna do when the consumer just doesn't bite though?

Lower the price.

I didn't design the thing, so I don't know how much it costs. Was Motorola too greedy? Did they think that consumers would actually appreciate how much better it was and would be willing to pay extra?

Seems to me there's some psychological barrier to tablet pricing (much like the $199 for subsidized phones). I think to a lot of people, the tablet is a cool gadget. Not essential, but cool. And since it's non-essential, people aren't going to pay desktop/laptop prices for it.

Playbook from RIM is actually selling well. Their price point is also much lower. It's not rocket science. Tablet manufacturers have to figure out how to get prices much lower and still make a profit. If they can't, they should get out of the business.

Upvote 0
Very very true. Im not sure how much of the pricing is out of necessity, and how much of it is just because the iPad is that much. Im assuming, though, that as they touted it as a iPad killer, they'd price it as low as possible. Which then leads to your point, of they have to figure out how to undercut and still make a profit.

I do agree that Tablets are regarded as a niche market. With that said though, from my personal experience, within the last few months I became a proud owner of an HP TM2. It's a convertible laptop, in that the screen will swivel and drop down to make it a tablet-- but it's still a full functioning laptop. After owning it for a while, I can't see myself ever going back to a straight laptop again- but again, that's still a niche market, and Im only a huge fan of it because it allows me as an artist to have a lot more freedom than a regular laptop.

I think, overall, its a mix between poor sales pricing, and poor marketing. I've been stuck in afghanistan for the last year, so I haven't seen what, if any, TV spots they've had in regards to the XOOM, but I know as far as online goes, I've only kept up with the XOOM because I tend to frequent forums such as this as well as 'techie' news sites. The average consumer doesn't.

Upvote 0
Oh I didn't know they had anything out that does this. I'll have to recommend that to anybody I know wanting an e-reader/tablet for sure.

Yeah - you forgot. :) We discussed it last year in the Evo 2 thread. ;)

Reminder, here's some good info from their blog (with vids!) - What’s Happening at Pixel Qi – Mary Lou Jepsen’s Blog

The other choice as a front-runner is the Qualcomm Mirasol display - strictly e-ink - but it's color e-ink. They're putting up a US$ 1 billion fab in Hsinchu, Taiwan for that right now, expected to stream out panels later this year (maybe late 3Q or even 4Q).

Demo | mirasol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones