• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whos saved they're upgrade for Bionic/GS2

What have you saved your upgrade for?

• Motorola Bionic

Votes: 55 52.4%
  • Samsung Galaxy S 2

Votes: 41 39.0%
  • Something Else/Something Better

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • No upgrade but still getting one of these

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The same day release date for two big players from different manufacturers makes sense to me. I'm sure this was a matter of negotiation in which neither Moto nor Samsung wanted the other next best phone to have any lead time in sales over the other. Look at the poll...it's evenly split between Bionic and SGS2 but many many of the respondents will probably get "whichever comes first".

Upvote 0
Don't completely rule out a SGS2 Release in August. That map starts in September and mentions nothing of phones coming out this month. So here are some things to help boost your spirits (Purely my objective opinion however!)

1. Motorola said, with much confidence, that the Bionic was going to be the first Dual-Core 4G LTE Device. This either means the Stratosphere is not dual-core, or that leaked map is wrong. (Or Motorola was wrong)

2. The Fascinate was recently retired and the BOGO on DX2's and Droid 3's means SOMETHING has got to be coming out in August.

Best case scenario in my mind? A 3G SGS2 Comes to verizon in August. I know nothing has passed through the FCC, but I still have high hopes. It just seems strange to me that if the Stratosphere was indeed a superphone to compete with the Bionic, why would it release on the same day? Has Verizon historically done anything like that in the past? Seems to me like they don't even release phones that are not competing against each other on the same day (Like Droid X - Droid 2)

I agree that seeing 3G SGS2 in August is possible given Sammy CEO's words, Fascinate retired from stores, that map list starting from September.

But I think Stratosphere is 4G version of SGS2. I don't put any stock in Moto CEO's words. Even if stratosphere is released on the same day or a day after Bionic, he's still technically correct.

OK, given the last two posts, think about this - has VZW ever released an upgraded version of a phone within 1 month? Because if the Stratosphere is the 4G LTE version of the SGS2, then releasing the 3G version this month would be catastrophically stupid on both VZW's and Samsung's parts, as least in my opinion. I feel that there are very few people out there like me that will settle for a non LTE phone b/c of lack of availability currently in my area....

While I'd like to the Sammy come out now I'm not holding my breath.

Here's to hoping that I'm wrong.... :p

Reactions: jroc and bigbabys
Upvote 0
OK, given the last two posts, think about this - has VZW ever released an upgraded version of a phone within 1 month? Because if the Stratosphere is the 4G LTE version of the SGS2, then releasing the 3G version this month would be catastrophically stupid on both VZW's and Samsung's parts, as least in my opinion. I feel that there are very few people out there like me that will settle for a non LTE phone b/c of lack of availability currently in my area....

While I'd like to the Sammy come out now I'm not holding my breath.

Here's to hoping that I'm wrong.... :p

A point I didn't really consider. :( However if one of those 2 devices was drastically different, it might be a possibility. For example:

That 4G slider picture that leaked is in fact the stratosphere, making it drastically different than both the SGS2 and the Bionic. Or maybe that 4G slider was a mid range set to come out in August?

My assumption is that August will not go by without some kind of smartphone release. The question is will it be anything I want? :D

Reactions: Sandroidfan
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones