• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who's stalling Android upgrades...

No, the HTC Magic/Dream debacle was very different (and I know first hand from dealing with RogersMary, and meeting with Rogers management).

With the Magic/Dream, quite simply Rogers did NOT completely understand what Android was, and what these devices would be when they jumped on board. They weren't even sure how to market them. I know this, because they told us all repeatedly how surprised and shocked they were when we fought back over a lack of updates to the Magic & Dream.

HTC didn't want to do an update because it costs them money. Rogers would never confirm whether or not they have to pay for the upgrades, but i can tell you that money is the reason we are not getting 2.2 for the Magic.

In the end, we got the update to the Magic because we fought for it. We embarrassed Rogers, who pressured HTC to give us the 2.1 upgrade. The Dream was not updated (even though it CAN run 2.1) again for the money reasons.

The costs to modify the software for each phone, and test it, and roll it out, is big, and HTC would rather focus on their newer devices.

I think the fact that Rogers has not had an HTC Android device since the Magic speaks volumes, but that is my opinion, and Rogers continues to refuse to comment on their relationship with HTC. Of course, there was that whole E911 thing, that didn't help.

In the end, I pestered HTC to find out why they won't give us 2.2 for the Magic, and in their nice PR-speak they said they felt it better to invest their time and money elsewhere (ie. not in Canada for Rogers customers, even though Magic owners in other countries ARE getting 2.2).

You can read the final email exchange between myself and HTC here: I Want My One Point Six - Demanding Android 1.6 for our Rogers HTC Magic & Dream, and LG Eve Phones

Upvote 0
Here's an interesting thread at XDA: The Samsung Secret - Why U.S. Galaxy S Phones run Android 2.1 Still

The Samsung Secret - Why U.S. Galaxy S Phones run Android 2.1 Still - xda-developers

To explain the political situation, first, a primer on how phone firmware upgrades work for carriers. When a carrier decides to sell a phone, a contract is usually written between the phone manufacturer and the carrier. In this contract, the cost of updates (to the carrier) is usually outlined. Updates are usually broken into several types: critical updates, maintenance updates, and feature updates. Critical updates are those that resolve a critical bug in the phone, such as the phone overheating. Maintenance updates involve routine updates to resolve bugs and other issues reported by the carrier. Finally, feature updates add some new feature in software that wasn

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones