• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who's still on the fence about purchasing?

ODog2323

Android Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2010
NJ, USA
I think I'm leaning towards taking the plunge, but it's a question of when?

I had been looking forward to see the new iPad, and while it looks like a nice update, it's still the same old thing from Apple...blown up iPod touch with an OS that's still not designed for tablet. I don't care what they say about under the hood improvements and such...iOS is falling behind.

I had also been waiting for more info about the Galaxy Tab 10.1, but the recent news that that device is more or less overpriced junk has kinda dashed those hopes.

Ok, so the Xoom seems to be my best choice for the time being by that reasoning. Do I pull the trigger now with some buzz growing about the wifi only version lurking sometime soon? With the iPad 2 dropping next week, is it possible that the price of the Xoom could come down a bit?

Anyone else finding themselves in a similar boat?

Dog, I am totally anguishing on the fence! It's makin me crazy. I so want the xoom to be more than it is, yet. I'm not thrilled about the possibility of being bi-operational (Incredible and ipad2), but this may have to be how it goes down for the next year or so, until droid tablets are ready.

Why? For a tablet to work for me (which means it's a tool, not a toy) I absolutely need three things. 1 - ability to sync with exchange server (check), 2- Docs to Go or better to work with and edit native Office documents (apparently check as of very recently, I'm told), and 3 - and have a Cisco VPN Client to sync with file exchange server (not check and not happening anytime soon, according to other threads in androidforums). If all three were checked, then I could deal with anticipated flash update, having to send the unit in for weeks to be upgraded for microSD and 4G, and the slow dribble of optimized Honeycomb applications that I may or may not have to pay for again even though I've already paid for Froyo versions.

Such is life...

Upvote 0
I think prices will come down to compete with Apple. I also think wifi is much better deal especially if Sams Club rumor prices are real. I was able to get the 25% off deal from Moto that is no longer available. Otherwise I think I would have regretted my patience if I had bought the full price $799 or signed a Verizon contract (which I did but was able to get out of it once I bought the 25% deal.)

That being said fantastic device that I am totally happy with but I think it can be had for a better price for those who can wait a little while longer. Even if just wait for wifi which I think comes sooner than later because of pressure from Apple will be worth the savings.

My version is the 3g but I think for most people wifi along with a tether to phone will prove more than sufficient.

I had been looking forward to see the new iPad, and while it looks like a nice update, it's still the same old thing from Apple...blown up iPod touch with an OS that's still not designed for tablet. I don't care what they say about under the hood improvements and such...iOS is falling behind.

I had also been waiting for more info about the Galaxy Tab 10.1, but the recent news that that device is more or less overpriced junk has kinda dashed those hopes.

Ok, so the Xoom seems to be my best choice for the time being by that reasoning. Do I pull the trigger now with some buzz growing about the wifi only version lurking sometime soon? With the iPad 2 dropping next week, is it possible that the price of the Xoom could come down a bit?

Upvote 0
you guys on the fence, let me help you. dont buy the xoom now. :)

the xoom,, in its present state, is designed for early adopters to test it, kick the tires, submit reports, etc... :D moto and google are listening and working on getting the bugs fixed and implementing the SD card and flash. most of you fencers should wait for the wifi only model, which should have most of the updates patched HOPEFULLY buy its launch. you guys are all on the fence because of the price of the gadget and the missing pieces that will be activated in the coming weeks, so listen to your instincts! :)

as it stands now, not many apps are fully working on the xoom and with the lack of flash, etc, most of you would be frustrated. :(

so, sit tight, wait for the wifi only model and your golden.. :D

Upvote 0
I tried one out at Costco, I did like it but will wait for the wifi only. Another point is if the wifi only sells on Amazon I lose the 10% California Sales Tax. The hard part is avoiding the $349.00 Ipad1. If only the the Xoom was $349.00.

Upvote 0

the xoom,, in its present state, is designed for early adopters to test it, kick the tires, submit reports, etc... :D moto and google are listening and working on getting the bugs fixed and implementing the SD card and flash. most of you fencers should wait for the wifi only model, which should have most of the updates patched HOPEFULLY buy its launch. you guys are all on the fence because of the price of the gadget and the missing pieces that will be activated in the coming weeks, so listen to your instincts! :)

as it stands now, not many apps are fully working on the xoom and with the lack of flash, etc, most of you would be frustrated. :(

As much as I love the Xoom, well said..

Upvote 0
I was at the verizon store today xoom bagged and tagged, then my cc did not go trough, I was spooked. Later found my wife put a hold on out CC because she thought I has lost my wallet (long story). So then next day armed with my Amex I was on my way back I stopped at BB ... I'm back on the fence, power cord, heavy I gotta feel like I would want to carry it around, currently I don't.

Upvote 0

Thank you for the good breakdown :)

I hadn't worried too much about flash and the sd card since I know they're coming, but the thought of getting the device with those features along with whatever other small fixes already complete is very nice. I'm really not worried about apps at all, since it's much more about the web experience for me.

I just hope we don't have too long a wait for the wifi version. The rumors about pricing and stores prepping are already making me antsy. I feel like I could cave any second :)

My gut says we're in for a lengthy wait though...

Upvote 0
I was initially concerned about the price, but would have been willing to buy at a cost around $500 for a wifi-only version. However, at this point, I am extremely concerned with the lack of functionality and compatibility with Honeycomb at this point, and will probably continue to wait until Android "grows up" to 10.1 inch screens and there are more apps supporting that screen size/resolution and Honeycomb itself. I may just buy an iPad 2, since the platform is more mature - Apple and app writers seem to have done a good job of adapting to a lack of Flash on iOS.

Upvote 0
I think MOTO was very wise to push out the Xoom now. They beat Apple to the punch and grabbed some market. Which is putting pressure on the other mfgs who will not be able to separate their product from the Xoom. If Xoom gets there act together even in just half of the issue and prices the Wifi only version just under the IPAD the will be in the cats seat. There are lots of us just needing a little push to tip us. Heck if they just put out a press releases and floated their progress every few days. that would be enough for most of us. At lease me. I'm holding of for Wifi only hope they knock it out of the park with a software update at the same time.

Upvote 0
i was on the fence the whole entire week before launch day and i ended up caving in on launch day and i for one have not regretted the purchase at all in fact one of the best gadget purchases ive ever made

I was on the fence for the week after the launch....evaluating and studying reviews and impressions. I bought fully aware of the minor issue that exist and don't regret it in the least. I love my Xoom and am loving it more every day as I begin to use it and integrate it into my daily activities.

:D

Upvote 0
I'm waiting for WIFI version of the Xoom, and to play with the new Ipad2. I find Apple OS boring, but I like the screen dimensions better for web surfing (primary use for me). The thought of a really thin tablet is appealing too. On the other hand, I love Android and widgets.... We shall see....

Upvote 0
I'm waiting for WIFI version of the Xoom, and to play with the new Ipad2. I find Apple OS boring, but I like the screen dimensions better for web surfing (primary use for me). The thought of a really thin tablet is appealing too. On the other hand, I love Android and widgets.... We shall see....

Haha that sums it up exactly for me too...

iOS is nice but I think I've outgrown it.
The taller iPad screen is definitely better for web.
Gonna try and check out the iPad 2 later today, just for kicks...curious to see just how thin and light it is.
I've become a huge fan of Android since I got my EVO back in June.

My gf pointed out a post at DroidDog that points to an early April release for the wifi only Xoom, so maybe we won't have to wait too long...

WiFi only Xoom coming to Staples as soon as April 3rd

Upvote 0
Haha that sums it up exactly for me too...

iOS is nice but I think I've outgrown it.
The taller iPad screen is definitely better for web.
Gonna try and check out the iPad 2 later today, just for kicks...curious to see just how thin and light it is.
I've become a huge fan of Android since I got my EVO back in June.

My gf pointed out a post at DroidDog that points to an early April release for the wifi only Xoom, so maybe we won't have to wait too long...

WiFi only Xoom coming to Staples as soon as April 3rd

i wish i could understand what there is to try out?? Its going to be the same. but the camera. its already fast cause its so locked down.. i cant see faster will make that much difference...

Upvote 0
Just got back from Best Buy where oddly enough they had a Xoom set up just a few feet from the iPad 2.

I'm sure the Xoom was a decently beat up demo unit (I even rebooted it to get a relatively fresh start), but I gotta say, as much as I love the Android platform and want to like the Xoom, it just doesn't seem to work as well as the iPad. On the web at least, the Xoom hiccuped several times during loading scrolling and zooming, while the iPad 2 felt totally natural and fluid throughout. The same could be said for each device's UI's just from poking around menus and such. Even the ipad's cameras, while lower resolution, seemed more fluid and natural Hardly scientific I know, and I know there's plenty the Xoom has that the iPad doesn't, but a quick comparison felt like the iPad just works better overall.

Hardly case closed, but I feel like I'm back to square one :)

Upvote 0
I thought I was on board to get one, but will hold off until somebody confirms 64gb thumbdrives work fine in the hacked USB host mode. Work great on gTablet, so no point in changing unless they will work with the Xoom. The dude in the article only tested an 8gb- a 64gb DOES draw more voltage.

I may wait until prices drop, once competition has increased.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones