1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Who's upgrading to the n5?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mustardtiger56, Sep 25, 2013.

1. mustardtiger56

Not sure if I am yet, the nexus 4 should still be a decent phone for at least another year and the difference in smoothness and load times will probably be miniscule if you compare the snapdragon s4 with the 800. The display on the nexus is still to this day the best sub 1080p display on the market and the camera is great for people like myself who just take the odd Facebook photo. So at this juncture I really don't see the need but time and price will ultimately determine my decision. Interested to hear what you guys have to say.

2. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

I might find myself doing so... As of an hour ago when i think i just broke my microUSB port.

3. jhsrennie

jhsrennie Android Enthusiast

If the N5 is similar to the LG G2 then I like the large battery and the way they've managed to squeeze in a large screen without increasing the size of the phone too much. However rumours suggest that the N5 uses a smaller screen (don't know about the battery). If so, it will depend on the price. If the price is low enough I'll buy one just for bragging rights ;-)

4. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Well-Known Member

I prefer the larger battery but the same screen size as the N4. In not sure if you are going to see better battery life if the screen is increasing with the battery.

The screen on the N4 is already plenty for my small hands.

5. saptech

saptech Android Expert

I may look into getting one around December if it's out then.

6. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Android Enthusiast

Now that Straight Talk supports AT&T's LTE network, if the Nexus 5 is LTE capable (without hacking), I will very likely buy it.

Honestly though, I'm really hoping for a new 10" nexus tablet to be announced with 3G/LTE support. I would probably get that instead if I had to pick.

-SF

7. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

FCC report seems to indicate it's compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile LTE. Unlike last time where it wasn't listed and was sort of found by "accident" by a developer.

8. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Extreme Android User

Read Straight Talks fine print very carefully. ;)

9. ooberandy

ooberandy Android Enthusiast

Once I have kitkat on my nexus 4 then I'll be happy. The hardware chase isn't as important to be as it use to be & I'll try to hold out for the nexus 6 :D

10. SlyFerret

In already a ST customer. Is there something in the fine print about LTE specifically? Or are you referring to the soft data caps on the"unlimited" plan?

-SF

11. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

I think he's referring to the part where they prohibit streaming music/video

12. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

Yup, and they basically say they can terminate/throttle your data at any time for any reason.

Lots of people getting throttled at 1GB or less.

13. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

If the Google staffer in photo of the Kit Kat launch was actually holding a Nexus 5, then it looked a LOT bigger than the N4 - both wider and longer :eek:

On the upside, that means room for a bigger screen and battery - on the downside, the bigger screen would require the bigger battery. Look how long iPhone batteries last with their postage stamp screens ;)

Have to say that, barring accidents, I probably won't be getting an N5. The N4 is fine for what I need for at least the next year - so I'm looking forward to seeing what the N6 has to offer :D

14. SlyFerret

Ahh, OK. I've never had any problems with them. I'm far from a problem customer when it comes to mobile data usage. I'm also in a low population density area. It's pretty rural here, but just close enough to the Columbus, Ohio metro area to have LTE coverage. Probably because I'm near a state park.

I only use ~1GB per month of mobile data. I work from home and am on wifi nearly 100% of the time. I stream XM or Google Music for a couple hours each week while I cut the grass, but that's pretty minimal.

I've found that Google Music doesn't actually stream, so much as download/cache on demand. After the track is cached, it continues to play to the end, so the data usage looks like a series of file downloads a few megs at a time every few minutes.

XM streaming is pretty low bandwidth. I don't know exactly what bitrate they use, but it doesn't sound like it could be above 128kbps.

One of these days I'm going to put up a comercial wifi AP like they do in campgrounds to cover my entire 5 acre lot so I can get wifi from anywhere on my property.

-SF

15. Biaviian

Biaviian Android Enthusiast

I put two up this summer to cover my entire property (12.5 acres). I'm very glad I did because I would have to turn off wifi to keep SiriusXM streaming without interruption.

16. jhonb

jhonb Android Enthusiast

I am thinking the same thing about the LTE. If it is a true LTE it would give me incentive to buy it. As far as the Nexus 10 with data, I was going to wait last year when the Nexus 10 came out for the data version, then decided not to wait and bought one in the end of November. I guess I would still be waiting is I had not pulled the trigger.

17. andruoid

andruoid Android Expert

Just replaced my trustworthy Samsung S2X which died a sudden death with a Nexus. It will more likely be whatever is out in 2 years (my contract term). Very happy with the Nexus specs, more than enough for me.

Nexus 4 Forum

The Nexus 4 release date was November 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 2100mAh battery.

November 2012
Release Date
Reviews