• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whose got their chromecast working?

Streamed movies from wherever...
Ah, then it should be crystal clear. I'll use Netflix as an example. You pull up a movie and start watching on your phone, then cast it to your Chromecast. The stream doesn't go from your Wifi, to your phone, to the TV. The stream goes direct to the TV and your phone essentially becomes a remote. I'm not sure how all the magic happens, but that is more or less how it works. That's different than screencasting (sharing your devices screen to the TV) or streaming movies that are stored on your device, as that is dependent on the performance of your phone .

Upvote 0
In terms of bangs for the buck... Chromecasts are awesome.

When it comes to streaming .. Your phone hands off all the work to the chromecast itself... And then effectively just works as a remote control whilst the chromecast does all the data traffic straight to the network

If you are casting your display... Then there is more lag, as your phone is sending data directly to the chromecast which is then dealing with it...

I'd rather have a dumb TV with a chromecast... Than a smart TV without one any day

Upvote 0
... Cathode ray has been my thing in the bedroom. Everybody else uses flat screens Im the only one left with this tech. Life goes on.
Don't write off that old CRT TV off completely if you want to use it for streaming online content. A Chromecast might not be an option (requiring a HDMI port) but the Roku Express+ is one of the few set-top devices available that include support for composite cables (red-white-yellow connectors):
https://www.roku.com/products/roku-express-plus

Upvote 0
I've been mostly watching past series of Scandi dramas from the BBC and find the colour, contrast etc not great.

I guess the HD setting on BBC iPlayer is 720. I may be missing some tricks, I admit.

Anyway : I read a few days ago somewhere that it's better to use the BBC iPlayer app on my phone rather than stream from my pc. something to do with poor frame rates, but I've no idea if that has substance.

Still experimenting with Chromecast when I have the time,so interested to see this thread. I was initially disappointed that you can't mirror your phone directly, and there's unacceptable lag unless you're streaming, iirc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Anyway : I read a few days ago somewhere that it's better to use the BBC iPlayer app on my phone rather than stream from my pc. something to do with poor frame rates, but I've no idea if that has substance.

Streaming from your PC is a much more computationally demanding task, and so it certainly could be responsible for the poor resolution/quality that you're getting.

Like others mentioned above, if you use the iPlayer app on your phone, you're telling the chromecast to use its own built-in app to stream the data from the BBC server, decompress the data and play the video. No different to watching it on any other single device.

If you go via your computer, your computer is streaming the data, decompressing and playing the video, and then re-compressing the video and sending it via your router to be de-compressed again by the chromecast.

Compressing video throws out information, stuff like colour, contrast and detail, so the extra step of compression when streaming via the PC will make your video look worse. Also, this setup is much more sensitive to slow or disrupted internet speeds on your home network, as the chromecast can't buffer any video ahead of time. Dropping the resolution of the streamed video is the usual way to compensate for that, which might be why your resolution is lower than expected.

Upvote 0
Come on, Chromecast isn't that expensive after all. I paid like $50 for mine and it's working wonders with my mobile devices and a 10-year-old TV.
Seriously, people think it is magic when you play a video from YouTube. It was a main attraction on my birthday :D

Did you see my post? Particularly the "Smart TV w/Roku"

That's where I went "broke" :D:D:D

Upvote 0
Streaming from your PC is a much more computationally demanding task, and so it certainly could be responsible for the poor resolution/quality that you're getting.

Like others mentioned above, if you use the iPlayer app on your phone, you're telling the chromecast to use its own built-in app to stream the data from the BBC server, decompress the data and play the video. No different to watching it on any other single device.

If you go via your computer, your computer is streaming the data, decompressing and playing the video, and then re-compressing the video and sending it via your router to be de-compressed again by the chromecast.

Compressing video throws out information, stuff like colour, contrast and detail, so the extra step of compression when streaming via the PC will make your video look worse. Also, this setup is much more sensitive to slow or disrupted internet speeds on your home network, as the chromecast can't buffer any video ahead of time. Dropping the resolution of the streamed video is the usual way to compensate for that, which might be why your resolution is lower than expected.

Great. Thanks for the info. That makes sense, I guess. I was seeing the Chromecast as a receiver of data and not having it's own apps. I tried the Google Home app but that just directs to the iPlayer app for the full play list.

I'll experiment some more and try for a faster hotspot soon as my only wifi.

I'll try running a movie from Google Play Movies later.

I just remembered (this is what late middle age does to me) I also have iPlayer on my HDD / BD recorder (not my tv) and that wasn't running great in a brief period today, but I think it has run with better pictures jn the past.

Reactions: greentech49
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones