• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why 2.1 v3 leakers can't manually update to the official 2.1 OTA?

First post here. Been reading here for a while now. Thanks for all your great help and suggestions!

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I have searched around and i have not found a good explanation as to why those with the 2.1v3 leak cannot manually install the official OTA file that was posted here.

Anyone have an explanation for this? I read that it has something to do with a different HBOOT, but I'm not really understanding it. Do you think we will every be able to get the OTA so that we can go root? I quickly jumped to the 2.1v3 leak without fully understanding the benefits of root and now, after more research, I really want to go root.

Thanks in advance for your responses. And if there is another thread that explains this, I would appreciate it if you could direct me to said thread.

Thanks!

Basically, stock 1.5 had one HBOOT version, and the leaks (which you have) have a different one. The OTA has the same HBOOT version as 1.5 however. For some reason or the other, the HBOOT is different for only the leaks. So in other words, 1.5 and 2.1 OTA can be rooted with that 2.1 root rom, but if you're on a leak, there is currently no way to root it. Hopefully soon enough, and I think there are some devs working on it, the leakers will get root. There is no telling if we will or not though.

I'm in the same boat as you. Wish I hadn't jumped on the leaks, but I'm impatient and didn't understand.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I was reading in another thread that the ota & the leaked v3 r exactly the same. The numbers maybe the same but the ota has some xtra apps that came standard that the v3 doesn't have one in particular I saw was called backgrounds. My mom & dad got it on their ota but mine v3 doesn't have it. There was another app that came as well but now for the life of me I cannot think of what it was. So they're not 100% the same.

Im also in the boat the rest of you guys are got tired of waiting for an update that should've been pushed to the Eris months ago. I was also told the leakers would get the ota, but you know vwz we were also supposedto get pinch to zoom Google maps & live wallpapers. Also where the hell is friend stream?

Upvote 0
I was reading in another thread that the ota & the leaked v3 r exactly the same. The numbers maybe the same but the ota has some xtra apps that came standard that the v3 doesn't have one in particular I saw was called backgrounds. My mom & dad got it on their ota but mine v3 doesn't have it. There was another app that came as well but now for the life of me I cannot think of what it was. So they're not 100% the same.

Your mom and dad most likely had backgrounds already installed when they updated to the new 2.1 OTA update because that app definitely DOES NOT come with it. I did a full factory reset when I manually installed the 2.1 OTA update, so if you'd like to know what came with it, I can tell you.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, thanks for all your posts! Very helpful. This has been on my mind a ton lately because it didn't make sense why we can't get the OTA from 2.1v3. It's more clear now. That thread posted a few up looks pretty promising. Hopefully the HBOOT is a quick fix. I just wish I knew enough about that stuff to do it myself and get it out to the world! I like having 2.1 but I'm kinda upset that I jumped to the leak without looking into the wonderful world of root. Let's hope they find a way to change the HBOOT soon. I think many of us would be eternally grateful if someone figured that out.

Thanks again for your comments!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones