• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why all the different S2 forums?

Nodders

Android Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2010
One for each US carrier plus a catch-all for everyone else? Come on androidforums - people say android is fragmented, no need to reflect this accusation in the forums. Why split into all the little forums, I can't see what useful purpose this serves anyone? Why not use the prefix/subforums?

One for each US carrier plus a catch-all for everyone else? Come on androidforums - people say android is fragmented, no need to make the forums unusable too. Why split into all the little forums, I can't see what useful purpose this serves anyone?

All forums do it, If I want to ask a specific question about the S2 on T-Mobile why should there not be a place where I can go and ask rather than putting it into a generic forum

Upvote 0
All forums do it, If I want to ask a specific question about the S2 on T-Mobile why should there not be a place where I can go and ask rather than putting it into a generic forum

It's an appalling idea. If you ask a question general to S2 on the tmobile forum, then people on the AT&T forum wont see it. As I said, surely this is exactly what subforums/prefixes are for. Then you can ask your tmobile question on a prefix and other people can see it or filter it out as they please.

Upvote 0
It's an appalling idea. If you ask a question general to S2 on the tmobile forum, then people on the AT&T forum wont see it. As I said, surely this is exactly what subforums/prefixes are for. Then you can ask your tmobile question on a prefix and other people can see it or filter it out as they please.

I couldn't agree more, I think its totally pointless and impractical and like you said your also missing out on valuable feedback and support from users in different sections.

Upvote 0
There are fundamental differences between the original Galaxy S2 released worldwide and the variants recently released for AT&T and T-Mobile in the US. Not to mention the fact that the Sprint variant, the Epic 4G Touch, is a CDMA handset. That's why this is now the "International" section. See here.

This is nothing new - AF had separate sections for the worldwide HTC Hero and the Sprint variant almost three years ago for the very same reason.

Upvote 0
There are fundamental differences between the original Galaxy S2 released worldwide and the variants recently released for AT&T and T-Mobile in the US. Not to mention the fact that the Sprint variant, the Epic 4G Touch, is a CDMA handset. That's why this is now the "International" section. See here.

This is nothing new - AF had separate sections for the worldwide HTC Hero and the Sprint variant almost three years ago for the very same reason.

Indeed, but there are many many more similarities. And just because it is not new thing, doesn't make it a good idea. Seriously, I've always thought the split between different small variants of a device into totally different forum sections a bad idea but at least with e.g Hero v Sprint it was somewhat hidden, but even then I found myself having to toggle betwen the two forums to browse "show your desktop" type posts. This new S2 split just makes this rather unhelpful setup more obvious.

Your decision of course, so just take this as feedback from someone who uses the forums. At the moment though its a real weak point of this forum IMO.

Upvote 0
Your decision of course

No, that of the owner and Admin. With feedback from users.

so just take this as feedback from someone who uses the forums

The best place to register disagreement is in the Suggestion Box & Feedback forum, where those who formulate policy can see it. I can assure you that your voice will be heard.

Upvote 0
Indeed, but there are many many more similarities. And just because it is not new thing, doesn't make it a good idea. Seriously, I've always thought the split between different small variants of a device into totally different forum sections a bad idea but at least with e.g Hero v Sprint it was somewhat hidden, but even then I found myself having to toggle betwen the two forums to browse "show your desktop" type posts. This new S2 split just makes this rather unhelpful setup more obvious.

Your decision of course, so just take this as feedback from someone who uses the forums. At the moment though its a real weak point of this forum IMO.

I agree. It's a bad idea. There are morrow similarities that differences which means most of the posts would apply to all SGS2s.

Here is what's gonna happen:
Someone who lives in the US on Tmobile who wants to ask a question would just go to the Tmobile forum even though the issue is general to all handsets.

Someone from Europe who has a similar question would go to the international forum and possibly wouldn't find an answer because its in a different forum. Or would have to search all 3 forums to find an answer.

Like someone suggested above; why not just add prefixes. That way, anyone posting about an issue/info unique to a particular variation of the phone can add the applicable prefix to his/her thread.

That's my opinion on this. I say consolidate the forums.

Just saw Slug's post. I'll turn to the suggestion box.

Upvote 0
The thing is, 99% of people on here wont know the specific differences between the various models of the S2 (I have no idea for one) so people will just see their "own" forum, and post the problem or question within there, when it is highly likely to be related to all traits of S2.

Unless it is a question that is truely relating to the sub-forum then it should be posted in the particular sub-forum, but how is one to know beforehand?

On the other hand however, even before the split, how many of the posts in the GS2 forum are actually related specifically to the GS2, and not Android in general?

Its a difficult one, but personally I would think it better to be under a single GS2 umberalla so that knowledge and answers do not get lost between different forums.

I agree that prefixes would be a "happy medium". Personally at the moment, I never even look at those prefixes when looking through posts. I only bother when entering a new post but only because I have to. Prefixes for the different traits of S2 instead of support/general etc. I think would be a better way. The OP wouldn't necessarily know if it is specific to his/her particular trait, but at least it would be a quick reference to onlookers who are perhaps looking for something specific to themselves.

Reactions: Twinn
Upvote 0
Just heading off to kip so this is necessarily brief.... a few reasons why it's the way it is:

1. Experience. Rob and Phases have a few years of running AF and tend to know how things work best for the site.

2. Hardware. Last time I checked there were at least three different CPU/GPU offerings in the Galaxy S2 range, not to mention the GSM/CDMA difference. This means that advice on firmware/kernels and mods will quickly become very complicated and prone to errors.

3. Software. Similar to above, the US carriers install far more of their own apps making their variants very different to the "international" GS2.

Prefixes: way too much work; afaik individual device sections can't have their own specific prefixes without completely restructuring the site, and with well over 100 device sections that isn't viable.

The old adage of not pleasing all the people all the time applies, so if you have an alternative put it up for consideration the the Suggestion Box & Feedback forum here. That's what it's there for. :)

Upvote 0
I, for one, am pleased that the SGSII hybrid handsets have been given their own forums.

As slug mentions, they are Galaxy SII handsets with just enough differences to cause confusion on just one forum.

Lets be honest, it's sometimes like pulling teeth to get posters to list which firmware, location and service provider they are with so that the correct advice can be given.

I must confess that in one of my postings on another forum, in reply to an Epic 4G Touch, there was some confusion until I realised we were in fact talking about two different handsets as the poster referred to it as a Galaxy SII.

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones