1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Why am I getting storage problems on my Sony Xperia S?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dawud Beale, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Dawud Beale

Dawud Beale Lurker
    None

Jan 30, 2014
    Hi everone.

My Sony Xperia S is saying that I have run out of storage. When I go to settings, storage, it says that I have 22GB available and 1.24GB used for apps. 1.03GB used for pics and vids. 28MB for audio.

Is there any way I can reallocate some of that 22GB that is free to use it for more applications?

Have I run out of physical storage, or RAM?

I do have a lot of apps start up when I start the phone. How do I stop apps from running unless i purposely start them, to conserve RAM?

I need to download so more apps so any help with this is appreciated

Advertisement

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    I doubt its RAM. Ram isnt usually called storage. I dont know what the problem is though.
    Is the xperia S a fairly new phone?
    On most modern phones, the internal storage can be filled with apps

3. PaulS

PaulS Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 24, 2013
    Male
    It's always possible that an app has munged in the O/S preventing the access to the internal storage.I've had this happen by a misbehaving app.
    Quick,safe and simple fix for me was to shutdown the device and remove the battery for a minute and then put it back in and re-boot(If this is possible as some devices don't have removable batteries).

HTH :)

4. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    If it doesnt have a removable battery, holding in Power until it reboots does kinda the same thing :thumbup:

5. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Yes..... and no.

It was Sony's first Xperia under their sole name, released to market March 2012, so yes it's fairly new. However it shipped with 2.3.x, which may account for the OP's issue; versions prior to 4.x had partition limitations on internal storage which continued even after updates for compatibility reasons.

The S has 32GB internal storage (no external sd), so 22GB available means 10GB used. The OP's listed files total < 2.3GB, so let's call it 7.7GB unaccounted for. I doubt the OS occupies more than 2GB, so we've (at a guestimate) approx 5.5GB MIA. This may point to a log file accumulation, a busted cache... who knows. :thinking:

Btw, I'm moving this to the Sony Xperia S sub-forum where other users of the device can offer suggestions.