• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

why am i having problems web browsing and with youtube with all my android phones?

Sento

Jan 19, 2011
long story short, i started with lg optimus years ago then from there went to nexus one to nexus s to nexus 4....and the same thing i noticed with all phones with all the different versions of androids, it will work just fine for a day or 2 then the web browser just stops responding, and it just keeps on spinning forever until i pretty much reset the phone and then "maybe" it works....same with youtube, i can watch videos fine for a couple days, then it randomly just keeps spinning and its VERY frustrating.

i even stopped doing the roms and rooting and kept the phone as stock as it possibly could be and didn't install any third party apps, and it still does that - with wifi and with cellular data.... its very frustrating...i tried chrome, dolphin, firefox - all give the same problems...

has anyone else experienced this or know a fix or why this is happening? its gotten to the point where i pretty much just use my phone to make calls and check email and if i want to look something up, i tell myself "save yourself the frustration and wait until you get home to your computer".... and don't even get me started on using google now for reminders...

Spinning? Only thing I've seen spinning is when you get the spinning blue bagel on a PC, or spinning beachball of death on a Mac, because an application or the system has crashed or hung.

Do you mean buffering, like what can happen with YT videos and other streamed media, maybe because there's not enough bandwidth. Are you being bandwidth throttled by your carrier?

"save yourself the frustration and wait until you get home to your computer"

At home with your PC, you're on DSL, cable or fibre internet of course.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
long story short, i started with lg optimus years ago then from there went to nexus one to nexus s to nexus 4....and the same thing i noticed with all phones with all the different versions of androids, it will work just fine for a day or 2 then the web browser just stops responding, and it just keeps on spinning forever until i pretty much reset the phone and then "maybe" it works....same with youtube, i can watch videos fine for a couple days, then it randomly just keeps spinning and its VERY frustrating.

too much advertising crap..........
I installed AdBlock browser and made it default.
problem solved.

* Adblock Browser for Android - Android Apps on Google Play

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
nah my network and everything seems fine....tbh i notice i start having problems with youtube and stuff every few days or so - and usually if i reboot my phone once a day it seems to help...so is it a good idea to reboot the phone once a day to clear out the ram? i know lot of people say "omg its linux and ram management is perfect!!~!111!!" - but i don't think we're there yet so should i reboot the phone daily? do you guys?

Upvote 0
I reboot my phone maybe every couple of months, and never because of performance problems. But if it helps you then give it a try.

The thing that puzzles me is that you have had this problem on 4 phones in a row, while it's not most people's experience at all (the platform wouldn't survive if it were). So the question is what is the common factor in your setup that's different from other people?

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
^
I reboot my phone maybe every couple of months, and never because of performance problems. But if it helps you then give it a try.

The thing that puzzles me is that you have had this problem on 4 phones in a row, while it's not most people's experience at all (the platform wouldn't survive if it were). So the question is what is the common factor in your setup that's different from other people?

im not sure, though tbh i have dropped my nexus several times and the back is pretty cracked, though lot of those initial drops were throws because of the youtube app and browsing crapping out....its been so long i cant remember what came first, the drop or the endless circle....could those be causing this problem?

otherwise i just use a simple wifi/router at home, no special firewalls or nothing....and now my n4 is as stock as can be, though i did some rom flashing before, is it possible that maybe during the flashings something got damaged?

Upvote 0
nah my network and everything seems fine....tbh i notice i start having problems with youtube and stuff every few days or so - and usually if i reboot my phone once a day it seems to help...so is it a good idea to reboot the phone once a day to clear out the ram? i know lot of people say "omg its linux and ram management is perfect!!~!111!!" - but i don't think we're there yet so should i reboot the phone daily? do you guys?
Not using Android 5.0 on your Nexus are you? Because apparently it did have a memory leak, which might require periodic rebooting, but was subsequently fixed, i.e. a bug.

I rarely have to reboot my Android devices, sometimes they're going for months.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
im not sure, though tbh i have dropped my nexus several times and the back is pretty cracked, though lot of those initial drops were throws because of the youtube app and browsing crapping out....its been so long i cant remember what came first, the drop or the endless circle....could those be causing this problem?

otherwise i just use a simple wifi/router at home, no special firewalls or nothing....and now my n4 is as stock as can be, though i did some rom flashing before, is it possible that maybe during the flashings something got damaged?
Not really. If you flashed a ROM you have that ROM, if you flash a different one or the stock software it overwrites the previous. So no, I doubt that's anything to do with it.

And hardware damage would not be app-specific, nor would it be likely to be resolved by a reboot. I'm sure your problem is software, but don't know what. I suppose a trivial thing would be to try a different browser?

Upvote 0
ya like i said earlier im keeping my phone stock as can be minus a couple apps like great clips and banking and a meditation timer, soundhound and a call blocker...but im gonna do another factory reset now and just not install anything and hopefuilly it will be ok.

Upvote 0
ok so i just did a factory reset, and im keeping things as stock as possible, im even choosing to use the default photo app instead of quickpic, and trust me that takes some epic dedication.

also i let my APN auto configure instead of typing it in myself, so i feel like that will help too.

im staying so stock, that im not even gonna change the default home screens, this is how stock i am:

5_HxwudSIFJQ2R_yGczjl0sXG8gZm_q0lGlxOsW9KuW-1eXQJ8MHFX8swt0IgGIdrnLRwP6dUISg4QhDt3zEh9OyqwS-e9HnuBllDeXZHnEg0K72RClOdFr9UW8MBqtvrwuzhJ-bALDPK7ZFN6cKCtW104HboLEj6pLwITR58YwCwDJNm-JjYwHPwT4B9fTF7YI0xrpyLnf8gMqSiNWESpp9HNFsOG3IKAUPDDtBwHEm0jkbgk5H9PNAFrXl7Ybjgcsiu-Hrozssz5b6MiKJGOCivQYvLbWWpFsSYtKRbX9wLIBqOxZ53RL0qQ-aquCsC6Fr9NN6QAlQjiZwnhkJVlIFAgVE_-1q3JOjq_tBvzlH35ELZNlaad9Nf2ZlTuXgd6YPL3RXnJcu-7RBcnUEQmMebODq5cTQIyaeoTMK83Asuw1bgYTXgwDWYOmiBgSZOHnMBL_XI9tqIvu_VjS6YUlbNlhAaDg9lwqGWhLWte-bboNikYvJY0RypXFBjAOhfQiOYVdM4NLfhZud4WNKGkVqf1gS5Y5bxJaSyi5zOsIq819WfuC44ukyuKnycJZhGvwr=w573-h955-no

xnPoeAKW-wSdYZagaHJaFP9oBKlL8YHU0zRVG4Wm0emj4sgPNTVm3PBHzDgkbtqac8w8BGcWeK7YW7StB0e2ncUEgsZBqQ3lmzezNykELhpO05KTVAkcF0-8JEstmBBS_gqIWQI5gDc9Gl1ogmuvKRHTBcKICCWN7alWltRkL38bSmiLkmDOhj4ImBL0ZJTdvq39Jh5tXTKWuKq5bZdQIuAYW47AhNe4qYfRxpzp0jYtZUedtEL37YkEX1kwMA7iggciyev2d7J5gwsDvl84jK2aTWb3JbhrMABnnChwamrVL00WYwWfMgiXWcTd3RMQ7CFQlVksP8IcTSVt1p73hWfSIChqFYvXkuQPKj322brDyzmqiPlb0n9PK0U6k48UoFWBhekuWaI44dvWuRfkm7LBUii-yeAmpU4bnlwiB6kuiey9X_ZeEvdWMU78HhuIbtsXf45eWcR7Bn3joOnvS58p7VF_MnFJaRBeT0_5ZWx9M70h6Bj90qntyMnM2cqDCau6RlWYD0HQy18SqmqCg-lPjrmB_8Us_-sIUaXwSM0__3Dhg9kuwPfcueOoVakUhsYO=w573-h955-no

that being said i have just discovered google photos and how it automatically backs up is pretty cool, so no more dealing with photobucket :D i love how google slowly makes everything its own, like youtube and everything it just absrobs the world and SOON THE UNIVERSE WILL BE GOOGLE :DDDDDDDDDDD

sorry i didnt sleep much.

Upvote 0
Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
just an update to this thread, i found out why my nexus devices have been so annoying, and considering how ive been going through hell to find a solution for the past several months, i wanted to share what helped me.

http://androidforums.com/threads/if...-issues-and-or-hate-your-n4-read-this.998797/

TLDR: cyanogenmod + nexus devices = among the best tech known to mankind.
I'm glad you got things sorted out, but I wonder if just changing launchers/browsers would have done the trick?

Upvote 0
I'm glad you got things sorted out, but I wonder if just changing launchers/browsers would have done the trick?
yeah i tried that too but the thing is the way snapchat/skype crashes on the nexus 4 is ted to how the stock google rom is written...but using CM just kinda makes it a totally different phone! i have not had any issues with snapchat/skype after flashing CM12.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nexus4/comments/2coxsc/that_snapchat_bug/

its no secret that i love google, but they are doing a million things at once so it's not unreal to expect some things will slip through the cracks. but the CM team is extremely dedicated to their roms and last i heard they even raised over 80 million dollars to fund their work, not bad for a team of custom rom devs!

https://cyngn.com/press/cyanogen-raises-80-million-in-series-c-funding

Upvote 0
I just want to update one thing i noticed: thing is that I got the 8gb nexus 4, and these days even 16gb can be insufficient, but with only 8gb the way android distributes storage space, even if you have like 1gb of space free, you quickly run out of "swap space" for daily tasks, web browsing and especially watching youtube videos - which is when the phone starts acting up/crashing/freezing.

though for most people with newer androids i dont imagine it to be a common issue since most devices these days are 16gb and up. also i think in general its better to get a phone with a big internal memory rather than messing with sd cards because i have noticed a lot of issues while using sd cards and i think even google said a while back that the reason they don't put sd cards in their nexus devices is because they can cause a lot of problems and then people start blaming the android OS and say IOS better, but also IOS devices don't use sd cards either :S planning my next phone to be a 32gb white nexus 5x, can't wait!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones