• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why are all Google Native Apps only for OS 2.0 and up?

thomasanderson

Nov 6, 2009
Is it just me, or is it weird to anyone else that more than half the apps Google itself releases for Android leaves us 1.5 users high and dry? It would seem that if anyone would empathize with us poor schmucks who got suckered into buying a phone whose OS went obsolete in 3 weeks Google would. Seems like when I view all the apps Google has for Android every other app I search for comes up nill on my Hero.

Most likely the apps use APIs opened up in 2.0. If the code could actually work against 1.5 I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible. Basically that means there are certain things the software can ask the os to do. At an older version the os doesn't know what to do with those requests so those calls won't work.

Upvote 0
Is it just me, or is it weird to anyone else that more than half the apps Google itself releases for Android leaves us 1.5 users high and dry? It would seem that if anyone would empathize with us poor schmucks who got suckered into buying a phone whose OS went obsolete in 3 weeks Google would. Seems like when I view all the apps Google has for Android every other app I search for comes up nill on my Hero.

More buyers remorse? Come on already... 2.x will be available to Hero owners 1st half of 2010. We are barely through 1st quarter and still people seem confused.

What Google apps to be specific? Goggles? Maps? My Google Maps works fine, but is it you are wanting street access or turn based voice?

This forum will guide you through tweaking the Hero to function wonderfully, yes, albeit without Google/HTC/Sprint support as they all seem to be looking forward, which we are all eagerly awaiting the release of their hard work. Until then we are left to patiently await those apps.

Or... just ROOT it, lol...

:cool:

Upvote 0
It just amazes me how people do not use the search button or read any of the posts on the same page! You can download the 2.1 version, if you can use the internet, you can upgrade your phone. You literally install it on your computer, hook up your phone and click the next button. That's it!!!!!! About 15 minutes later, BOOM--you have 2.1 on your phone. Google Goggles, Navigator, etc. Just do some reading!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones