• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why are my contact pics blurry?

Hi all

Im on my 2nd Hero at the moment but im having a problem with my contact pictures. On my 1st Hero with Orange they were perfectly clear however I now have 1 with T-mobile and the contact pictures are very blurry, almost unrecognisable. Anyone know why this would happen and how to fix it? It is the exact same pics from the same memory card that I used on the 1st phone, I just swapped it over to the new 1 when it arrived.

I should add that when I say contact pics, its only when im calling some1 and their face fills the screen that this happens

It sounds like the first phone synced your contacts to Gmail, which then imports them to your new phone automatically when you sign in. The phone is not using the pics on your memory card as you think, instead it's using the synced version which is compressed. You can re-assign the pics if you wish.

And in the sync options, turn off synching contacts with google, or they'll revert back to blurry after an automatic sync.
I just let it sync and put up with a bit of blur when a call is made or recieved, you know who it is by that apple bottom jeans ringtone you assigned ! And it keeps all of your contacts intact.

Upvote 0
It sounds like the first phone synced your contacts to Gmail, which then imports them to your new phone automatically when you sign in. The phone is not using the pics on your memory card as you think, instead it's using the synced version which is compressed. You can re-assign the pics if you wish.

That makes sense. Thanks to both for the replies:)

Upvote 0

Hi heroes,

Sorry, but I'm having the same problem and I'm having difficulty try to solve it after reading your replies-

All my contacts have been saved as Google contacts (not as phone or SIM types), and all of their contact pictures are incredibly blurry when it pops up during a call.

So do I have to re-assign all my contacts to phone/SIM in order to not have blurry pictures (would rather not do that, in case I have to do a hard reset)?

Or can I keep my contacts as Google contacts, but have clear pictures?

Thank you kindly :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones