• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why Are People Saying The Camera Is Bad On This Phone??

You need to play with the settings to get some better pics. Here is what I posted in another thread.

http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/69132-offical-incredible-pics-thread-2.html#post688468

I ran across an article comparing the Inc to Nexus. The article shows the Nexus outshining the Inc camera. Down in the comments was some great advice in tweaking the settings. Basically turn down the sharpness and play with the white balance. I changed the sharpness to 1/4 from 1/2. Center focus and daylight WB.
Article- The Incredible Camera Showdown: Droid Incredible VS Nexus One

Upvote 0
What people don't get is that there is a limit to the increase in quality that is gained by adding megapixels. Never mind that the camera is fantastic for a phone camera - people figure that, if the camera has about twice as many pixels as their previous one, they should be getting pictures that are twice as nice.

There are several problems with that...

1. There is no optical zoom. Digital zoom cheats by (more or less) cropping the image, so you are getting less resolution as you zoom in.

2. The primary design consideration for the lens is size, not optics.

3. Camera software is a secondary consideration for what is basically a computer.

4. The flash is pretty much "all or nothing".

5. There is no image stabilizer.

6. Most importantly, the sensor is nowhere near as large as it is on most traditional cameras.

If you want to know more about any of those, Google away.

Now, having said all that... For a phone camera, the one on the Incredible is... incredible. It's fast, takes good photos, and has a decent feature set. The quality of photos on the Incredible is very close to that of some point-and-shoot digicams.

A smartphone is jack-of-all-trades, and a master of none. Like anything on the device, the camera is not quite as good as a dedicated camera would be. Of course, the browser and computing experience isn't as good as it is on a dedicated PC/Mac, and the call quality isn't as good as it is on a landline.

But for a single device that I can call, email, chat, SMS, stream music and video to, check Facebook on, and customize with several thousand apps worth of functionality, the camera is pretty damn good.

Upvote 0
I took this pic yesterday, stock settings. Looks a little blue to me, but overall a fantastic pic for a camera phone. Photobucket takes some of the quality away though...

IMAG0014.jpg

Upvote 0
The camera phone newbs were all crying that their 5mp dedicated camera took better pictures than their phone.

I myself had had many camera phones and this is the best one i have ever had.

I thought i was the sh!t when i had the Sanyo 5300, the first camera phone in the states.
I bought it the day it came out and have 2 years worth of pictures that i would hate to lose.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones