1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Why are power buttons on the side of phones?!

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Deleted User, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I have a problem with this. I generally grip or grab the phone on the sides and have accidentally hit the power button, turning off the screen while I'm using it, or turning it on when I didn't mean to. Also, when they're on the same side as the volume buttons and next to them, it's easy to accidentally hit the wrong button.

Power buttons being at the top always made sense to me. I could grip the phone with my thumb and last three fingers, then hit the power button at the top easily with my index finger. The iPhone was great because I could easily manipulate the volume buttons with my thumb and the power button with my index finger without losing my grip or having it be awkward. Same with the Droid.

Now I see the Pantech Perception, and it looks great (sorry, I like Pantechs), and the power button's on the side! Aargh!!!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. LilBit

LilBit Extreme Android User

Failure in Engineering. Need to get Donald Trump on this. :p

3. bubkusjones

bubkusjones Well-Known Member

The power button on both my Huawei and old ZTE are on the top.

4. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

My first two Android phones, OG Droid and Bionic, have their power buttons on the top. Once I got my Gnex, I realized how MUCH better it is to have it on the side. Use your thumb or index finger to unlock. :)
    You get used to it, but with a 4"+ sized phone, I would never buy one with an unlock button on the top.

5. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Extreme Android User

Opposite problem with me, I used to hit wake/power when shoving it back into my pocket all the time. I like it on the side, still getting over it not being on top, I keep thinking I'm going to wake it up anyway before realizing it's no longer up there

6. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

It varies by manufacturer. For example all current HTCs have the power button on the top edge; ditto with LG handsets. Samsung put theirs on the rhs towards the top, whereas Sony prefer a central position on the same rhs.

7. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

I preferred it on the top like my zte and sony. Just be thankful it isnt directly opposite to the volume up button like on the samsungs lol. That took a lot of getting used to :)

8. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

I prefer to have it on the side. Sure it could be a problem if you're using a smaller phone or have huge hands. I have neither. It makes for better one hand operation. If you want it on the top, don't get a Samsung. Sony always had it on top, and HTC I think.

9. nickdalzell

My Samsung Galaxy Precedent had it on top. As I said, putting it back in pocket always hit the darned button. I always push the top to get it in the pocket.

10. funkylogik

Skinny jeans? Lol. My phone just drops right in :)

11. nickdalzell

Tight pockets. The phone ain't the only thing in there. Surprised the S3 fits. It's huge! Almost Phablet size

12. funkylogik

Lol i thought that when i 1st got the s3 but ive got used2it now. Ive been in the habit for years now of only having a phone in my left jeans pocket. Coins, keys etc in the right :)

13. mikedt

mikedt 你好

If you previously got used to an iPhone 4 or something, the S3 might seem large. Unless you are wearing skinny tight jeans? A Note 2 fits in my trouser pockets OK, and my fat wallet in the same pocket.

14. Stannis the Mannis

Stannis the Mannis Rapscallion

Yea i imagine it would, a lot of people seem to complain about this but unless they're wearing skinny jeans I don't see a problem. I have pretty big hands and 4.7 inch handsets feel "just right" in my hand and devices like the Note 2 would take a little getting used to but i've played around with it and could still use it with one hand for plenty of things.

15. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

As with most things Android, we have choices, as previously mentioned HTC has it on the top and Sammies have it on the side. Definitely think that the button position would be pretty far down the list as far as influencing my purchase decision on a handset though. :D
    OB

16. nickdalzell

Oh I'm not complaining, I love my S3, for the size it still feels comfortable in pocket and natural in my hand. Not sure why everyone pegs Svoice, it's saved many a fingerprint smudge unlocking and launching apps. Now, if Android supported full voice control in-app, I'd truly be happy

17. funkylogik

Im sure voice control is great if you have an american or southern english accent lol :D

18. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

S Voice can barely understand a word I say for some reason. I want to call my sister and say call Lyra, and it thinks of various other word combinations I can't imagine from whose nostrils it pulled. Assistant from Play Store understands my speech perfectly.

19. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I found voice control and speech recognition works well in Mandarin, even my Mandarin as a non-native speaker. :D ...not so good in English, unless one has a standard(CNN) American or southern English dialect..apparently.

If one is having difficulty with voice control, perhaps this book and CD course might help...
    http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-American-Accent-Audio-CDs/dp/0764195824/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1373556009&sr=8-2&keywords=american+accent
    [​IMG]
    :)

20. funkylogik

Lol i doubt any software will ever be able to understand the paisley accent. Ive taken to just typing voice commands into Google Now :)
    I remember i got a cold call from an (im guessing) indian call centre and she asked what language im speaking. I said scottish and she said "spanish?" Lol. I just said yeah n hung up :D
    What do you teach over there mate? Would you say its harder for an english speaker to learn mandarin than it is for them to learn english?

21. nickdalzell

well either way it's fun to pull a Star Trek and say 'Computer! unlock' to unlock my screen. or 'Computer! Open Play Store' to open play. works fine for me.

When i see this rise of Phablets i am thinking the 21st Century version of the Motorola DynaTAC 'Brick' which Zack Morris carried around in Saved by the Bell. before long they will make a DynaTAC styled case or something for the huge Note. a huge cell phone to one's ear is goofy in any decade

22. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

I had to put a rather thick case on the Nexus 4. It came with a holster. It did stop the Vulcan from turning the phone off when he grabbed it.

I may be old fashioned, but I will be damned if I will have a conversation with a freaking phone!

23. nickdalzell

I don't have conversations with it, I just love the Star Trek factor, still can't wait until TVs have voice controls instead of remotes so I can say "Computer! Delete audio!' To mute the thing.

I love how I can set the activation phrase to make it authentic. Saves fingerprints on the screen. Other voice assistants just don't allow the user to set a custom activation phrase.

24. funkylogik

I just cant get over the fact that you remember Zack's surname mate lol :D

25. nickdalzell

Why? Saved by the Bell is one of my fav shows and in my Netflix queue ;)