1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Why are S3's so popular?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rottweilerjim, Dec 30, 2012.

1. rottweilerjim

rottweilerjim Well-Known Member

I Don get it. On google play apps and games in comments 95% are galaxy owners and most are bitching how updates don't work or something else is wrong. So why do so many people buy them?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. murzz

murzz Android Enthusiast

They are probably bitching about nothing:D, people just like to moan, especially about free apps. Why do so many people buy them, well for me its just a damm fine splendid bit of kit.

bearballz likes this.
  3. john_g

john_g Android Enthusiast

When something sells in such large quantities, it's inevitable that any problems will become highly visible. I've not had any unusual or serious issues with my phone, and I suspect that the S3 is as good, and as bad, as other phones... it just grabs more headlines.

4. annebrooks64

annebrooks64 Android Enthusiast

This is probably going to annoy a lot of s3 owners (I have one) but I suspect an awful lot of the complaining is because they don't actually know how the device works properly and find it easier to moan than learn. I have an s3 and a Note 2 and have had no problems whatsoever with either of them.

PRkid, pharla, jgscott987 and 3 others like this.
  5. SaleenFiend

SaleenFiend Android Enthusiast

With an influx of new android users jumping ship from iOS it is only normal that the most marketed device will see the most interest. S3s are the new cool phones for brand jumpers. You have plenty of uneducated Android users in that category (not saying this is the only category) with lack of experience on the OS and confusion as to why it doesn't work like their iPhones or confusion bc it's just not the same. People love to complain and push the fault away before researching their own errors.

KOLIO likes this.
  6. murzz

murzz Android Enthusiast

Spot on anne, couldnt have put it better myself.

7. philayl

philayl Android Expert

Also remember that you only hear of the complaints, the majority are very happy with their S3's, but you don't hear from them. Phil

8. annebrooks64

annebrooks64 Android Enthusiast

As far as complaints about apps go I think the biggest problem here is that people don't read the description properly, don't read other reviews before installing, don't look at app ratings and most definitely don't read permissions. Then they complain the app doesn't do what they want or that their phone is now full of push notification spam. Hello, it clearly tells you all of that BEFORE you stupidly click on everything in sight!

9. lennydude

lennydude Android Expert

Was going to post something similar but no back bone here.....WELL SAID

10. fdbryant3

fdbryant3 Android Expert

Why are they so popular?

1) It is an excellent device.
    2) It is highly reviewed and talked about in the tech press
    3) The Apple vs Samsung court case has put Samsung on a level with Apple in people's mind
    4) A successful marketing campaign
    5) Samsung has turned "Galaxy" into a brand of products
    6) Word of mouth - people are showing off the device and bringing in new sales

The fact of the matter is that often negative reviews are really the outliers and not the norm. They only seem to stand out because people are more likely to call out a negative than praise the positive, and we are geared to pay more attention to the negatives than the positive.

11. tcope

tcope Well-Known Member

How is rating an app low because it no longer runs on the S3 after update "bitching about the S3"? Sounds like the people are complaining that the app no longer works... probably with the release of 4.1 on the S3. This is a complaint against the app itself... not the S3.

UserName872 and KOLIO like this.
  12. andrejhoward

andrejhoward Newbie

Same thing as Windows users. A lot of people don't know how to use them completely. Which there could be better tutorials, I hate to say it but Apple has been a lot better about showing new users the OS on their device.

And you're looking in the play store, a lot of times developers don't optimize apps for the device, maybe it's installed wrong but mostly I see A LOT of people are stealing the apps and then complaining their pirated copy has issues.

pharla likes this.
  13. lennydude

lennydude Android Expert

Apple has a large following for many reasons. The following numbers are not science at all. Just my opinion but you can get the drift by what i say :)

Of the 100% of iPhone owners, probably only 10% (being VERY conservative) know how to use the phone and all of its options. Of the remaining 90% probably 70% just use the phone and the very few options they care to know about. The remaining 20% own the phone because it is "cool" including grand parents.............their friends and relatives swear by it so they have to have it.

Given this scenario, no wonder there are very few converts to Android........LOL

14. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert

IMO, It's all marketing along with innovative features, though a tad bit gimmicky. The galaxy line of top tier phones from the S1 and the Note series have gained massive followers because of Samsung's relentless marketing and some mocking of the Iphone. The galaxy line has always been the thorn in Apple's side and the general public has noticed. If you can take on the top dog, no doubt you'll gain in popularity.

15. iBleedBlackNgold

iBleedBlackNgold Android Enthusiast

I'm happy with my S3 purchase, T-Mobile .... best battery life over any other phone I've had and I come from a long line of smart phones. I'm using it out of the box stock. There are a few minor glitches here and there but this is a very smooth device.

16. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert

Number one reason is because it's the same device available on all 4 major carries here in the U.S.
    Second, marketing.

17. Dvoraak

Dvoraak Newbie

S3s deserve the sales they've gotten. They offer a very smooth experience. As a long time iPhone devotee, I've been waiting for Android to mature. I've periodically bought Androids to test their progress and been consistently disappointed with the performance issues until I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. It impressed me enough to give up my 4S for an S3. If iPhone users are converting to S3s, it's only partly due to marketing. We are used to the smoothest experience possible. Samsung was one of the earliest to include 2 gigs of RAM and skinned Android OS' need it. Android isn't as RAM efficient as we're led to believe, especially after OEMs and carriers fill 'em with bloat. If the iPhone faithful want to give Android a go, the S3 is a very solid choice.

18. THE W

THE W Android Expert

because play store comments are a poor estimation of the S3's consumer base.

19. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

It was heavily marketed, very powerful and had stupid useless gimmicky (iphone killer) features.
    Now, its a well priced, powerful modable piece of hardware with a lot of developer support and if you arent tied to a carrier or do a bit of hacking, its still one of the most powerful phones on earth.
    On the other end, it has a big gorgeous screen and a lot of people seem to find the design attractive......
    ...i think it has a lot of life in it.
    And remember you mostly only read complaints about products. Its a nice chunk of hardware, just be willing to use apps to get what u want :)

20. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert

Yea its the best phone outside of apple, and with apple not innovating many people have left, and they see the s3 as the best android phone. this is especially true for when the s3 came out, there wasnt much competition, it has improved some but i dont think there is a better phone out there still.

21. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Theres better, htc one x+ htc DNA and nexus4 but the s3 was HEAVILY marketed so its populer so theres a lot of accessories and dev' support :)

22. colobuckeye

colobuckeye Newbie

I agree that it is mostly from ignorance on how to use the phone. I was originally on the IOS side and it definitely took some time to get used to the android platform.

23. Internaut

Internaut Member

The S3 remains by far the best phone I've owned.....

The biggest gripe I have with my S3 is that I'm still on Ice Cream Sandwich and this is where I will remain until Orange UK bother to roll it out (it looks like they're the last network, anywhere, to do so). Normally, it wouldn't bother me as patience is something I have in abundance, but I can see Google Now actually being quite useful in a phone!

24. MicroNix

MicroNix Android Enthusiast

The S3 is so popular because they ROCK! I run a ton of great apps on mine and don't have any issues whatsoever. Battery is kick a** compared to other phones I've had and it takes pictures so well that I rarely use a regular camera anymore. I've captured photos that could be on the cover of a magazine with this thing and still can't get over how well Samsung put this all together vs something from like Motorola or even Apple on the software side.

25. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert

Well saying those are better is pure preference, they all lack very nice features of the s3, removable battery and sd card, and touchwiz features also. i would definitely not say they are better, but can somewhat see why someone could pick them. if anything the best phone on the market from a hardware standpoint is the lumia 920

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews