1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Why are so many phones still launching with Froyo?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by trophynuts, May 17, 2011.

1. trophynuts

trophynuts Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    Lately there have been a lot of Android phones announced. Yet almost everyone of them are still launching with Froyo. Does anyone else find this strange? With the mention of ICS at Google I/O coming in Q4 of 2011 ...i think that was right...its almost like are we just going to skip over GB for the most part?

Another thing i was thinking is maybe GB is going to be the final resting place for some devices..which we know will be the case. So maybe they're just trying to prolong that from happening to keep customer spirits high lol.

Does anyone know of or if it even exist a set of hardware requirements for Ice Cream Sandwich? Such as is it necessary for a phone to have a dual core processor?

anyways just food for thought. I hope i posted this in the proper section of this great Forum site.

Advertisement

2. tlbj6142

tlbj6142 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 11, 2009
    Frankly, laziness and a lack of market pressure. There aren't any real new features in GB, so there isn't urgency (though the recent security issue might change that) . And because there isn't market pressure, the huge companies that control the distribution have had plenty of time to add layer upon layer of 'process' that makes them feel in control and justify their jobs.

Add real market pressure, and management will shortcut the process to get to market faster.

3. meisaia

meisaia Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    Or probably manufacturers love to play God and watch their users beg for any updates that would seem like manna from heaven. LOL

4. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    Many Android phones have their own skin which require additional development time to get it working with a newer version of Android.

5. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010

It generally takes about six months for a phone's development cycle from start to finish.

The last recent Froyo phones have development cycles that began when Gingerbread hasn't come about.

Motorola Atrix and LG Optimux 2X - launched February 2011. Gingerbread was only launched in December and made available to OEMs around November of 2010. That would have been too late for the Atrix and the Optimus 2X, both Winter release phones.

But note the spring release phones --- Xperia Play, Xperia Arc, Desire S, Galaxy SII, these are coming with Gingerbread. The Incredible S came with Froyo, but it already has a Gingerbread update coming out. More on that.

Gingerbread itself had many issues on 2.3.1 and 2.3.2. In fact, attempts for early upgrades by the Galaxy S and the Droid X in March and April was turned down by Google, the handset makers or the carriers. It was only 2.3.3 that was the first truly acceptable Gingerbread, and that is now the becoming the basis for the upgrades like to the Droid X and Galaxy S. The earliest non Google phone to ship with Gingerbread was the Xperia Play. Note it was delayed in April due to "software" issues. Re-equipped with 2.3.3, it is now shipping.

And yes, both the Incredible S and Desire HD now getting Gingerbread upgrade --- and yes, its 2.3.3. Future shipments of both phones are likely to ship with that OS version or 2.3.4 out of the box.

The only real valid upgrade for anyone is the latest but stable release. I myself keep my iPod Touch on iOS 4.2 until Apple fixes all the damn issues they have on iOS 4.3 and 4.3.3.

jroc and Gmash like this.
  6. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Nope. There are always devices shipping with older versions of Android. If you have to have the latest version then put that on your must have list when shopping.

Market niches as well. Not every device is top end.

jroc likes this.
  7. trophynuts

trophynuts Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US

...so spring release phones? Wouldn't that include the DX2 and the LG Revolution? Both of those are shipping with 2.2

8. Medion

Medion Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2010
    Male
    Auburn, WA
    Guamguy hit the nail on the head, so I'm just going to further expand on it.

Most companies, like HTC (Sense) have their own integrated software into Android. For a long time, the had their latest version of Sense integrated into Android 2.2. Eventually, they ported Sense (with upgrades) to Android 2.2.1. This is why their newer phones continue to ship with 2.2.1 instead of the newer 2.2.2 or 2.3.x. They've just recently finished porting Sense to Android 2.3.3, so that update is now rolling out to all targeted phones (staggered). Once that is completed, HTC will evaluate porting Sense to Android 2.3.4, or waiting for the next major release (2.3.5? 2.4.x? 3.x? 4.x? Who knows).

So to expand on what Guam said, it's not just the hardware development cycle, but also the software development cycle. HTC didn't want to just scrap existing planned updates for their phones in lieu of the newer version, as new updates from Google come out before HTC finishes the last update. If they did continually scrap their plans, phones would never get updated. HTC merely picks a version and pushes it to all targeted phones before working on a new picked version of Android.

Other companies have similar issues.

9. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Android Expert
    None

Dec 1, 2009
    Resource Consumer
    San Diego
    Exactly why I hate manufacturer overlayed skins. Too much time for too little difference. Also... why take all that time if it just makes the phones run slower? :thinking:

Again, just saying, flat android is the best way to go.

Gmash likes this.