• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why are some Android phones made of plastic?

Well mine is the Snapdragon quad-core and it never lags. In fact the performance and stability blows my S3 away. But then Google Play is disabled. So not much is going on since i use apps that came with the phone and never update anything.

Interestingly, my experience with a Galaxy device was the opposite. I disabled all of the Samsung applications, and it got faster. Maybe having both just draws too many resources

Upvote 0
Interestingly, my experience with a Galaxy device was the opposite. I disabled all of the Samsung applications, and it got faster. Maybe having both just draws too many resources

The Samsung apps don't make much if any difference, I've tried a number of slim roms with most of the Samsung apps removed and performance is the same.

But it's true all jellybean roms for the i9505 were laggy, even the notification bar was laggy and/or sticky depending how you choose to describe it.

That's not the case with the newer TW roms using 4.4.2 though, I'm happy to say they are smooth and very responsive. :)

Upvote 0
The Samsung apps don't make much if any difference, I've tried a number of slim roms with most of the Samsung apps removed and performance is the same.

But it's true all jellybean roms for the i9505 were laggy, even the notification bar was laggy and/or sticky depending how you choose to describe it.

That's not the case with the newer TW roms using 4.4.2 though, I'm happy to say they are smooth and very responsive. :)

Ah. I had a Galaxy Victory myself.

Upvote 0

You're right. Its not the apps

Its touchwiz itself that was bloated/laggy on my s3, and you really didn't notice it until you got rid of it and saw exactly what you were missing. After experiencing AOSP, I couldn't run a touchwiz ROM anymore.

Current versions may be less demanding, but there was no doubt about it back then

Upvote 0
You're right. Its not the apps

Its touchwiz itself that was bloated/laggy on my s3, and you really didn't notice it until you got rid of it and saw exactly what you were missing. After experiencing AOSP, I couldn't run a touchwiz ROM anymore.

Current versions may be less demanding, but there was no doubt about it back then

The latest TW roms are pretty smooth on the Galaxy S4/S5, not quite as good as the Google edition roms I've tried but it's a lot closer than then you might think.

Can't really comment on the Galaxy S3 though, it's been a year since I used one and hope I never use one again. :D

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
People think of wood as being a quality material but when you think about it, it's pretty crap compared to plastics lol.
If polycarbonate was as rare as diamonds we would be in awe of it.
Snobbery is just part of human nature, we're all guilty of it in some way :cool:

Actually polycarbonate might be as rare as diamonds. It turns out diamonds really are not all that rare nor should they be all that valuable. The only reason we thing they are rare is due to a cartel's stranglehold on the market and think they are valuable is because of a clever marketing campaign.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Just for the record, yes my S3 was laggy, especially with 4.3 on there (just like iOS 7 slowing down the iPhone 4) but on my S4 it does not. My boss has the kitkat update though and his lags like my S3 did with the 4.3 update and music volume is much too low.

I have not updated mine and will not anyway as it works fine! Either way, compared with stock Android, i am suprised they work as well as they do, i mean they are literally doing a TON more than any Nexus.

I am not lying either. If anyone knows me enough they would know i am the first to complain whenever Android lags or does other crap. Notice how that is no longer the case? Notice i no longer have my iPad or iPhone? I honestly never expected it myself...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones