• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why are some apple users so smug?

Sento

Jan 19, 2011
I'm not calling anyone out here, but another iPhone forum I go to, people are sooo smug, and several people I know in real life too.

They all seem to share the same characteristic,

- they know very little bout their electronics other than the fact that they are apple products.

"cool androids are a great starter phone I guess. I have an iPhone, so..."

"I can't wait to get that new Mac book pro book. hear it has an even faster processor, hubby will probably get the most expensive one, he always does."

Yeah these are actual quotes from actual people - got a bunch more but my heads hurting already.

Brand loyal people congregate at brand specific sites. It's no surprise they'd be positively reinforcing themselves. There will be fanatics in any discussion, but the vast majority of people -- iPhone owners, Android owners, BMW owners, Chevy owners, Coke drinkers, Pepsi Drinkers, etc. -- are reasonable people with no axe to grind or no opinion to propagate other than the fact that their kids are cuter than yours. ;)

Reactions: ocnbrze and jmar
Upvote 0
There are too many people in the world that base their value on how much they own or how much they have in the bank. They like to point out the cost of the items they own or show off the brand name they have. They wear, drive, use easily recognized brands that show off their cost. They want the status, not the product.

With some people I view Apple like I do Rolex. Both make a very fine product. Both have brand recognition. Both have alternatives that can cost more and do more. Both also have alternatives that can do more and cost less. With Rolex, people are usually buying the name. They had the choice of getting that or an Omega, Casio, Timex, I.W.C., Panerai, Frank Muller, Etc., but many of them went with Rolex because they want it to be recognized. It is the same reason that there are so many fake Rolex out there.

With some the, the best things in life are free. With others, the best things cost a lot and they will never stop telling you how much they paid.

Upvote 0
I'm not calling anyone out here, but another iPhone forum I go to, people are sooo smug, and several people I know in real life too.

- they know very little bout their electronics other than the fact that they are apple products.

"I can't wait to get that new Mac book pro book. hear it has an even faster processor, hubby will probably get the most expensive one, he always does."

Yeah these are actual quotes from actual people - got a bunch more but my heads hurting already.

LOL. You just described and "quoted" many Android users. I am glad you used the word "some" in the thread title rather than most. Most likely do not care and their reasons are perfectly valid.

I am sure many on the Android side would love the most costly Android phone in the store but they can't afford one. So they go with the plan tat offers a nice looking free something or anther. Hells bells, they might be in the Android store because they cannot afford an iPhone.

They want the pricey one to send a message to others (like some iPhone users, to be fair) and they can absolutely NOT tell you what the processor is. They want the latest Android OS version because it is "better." They want to be able to upgrade because it is "better." They cannot tell you why or if they need to. They react to something they read that may be wrong.

I can say I bought this or that because of the brand name not knowing much about the product except the brand name. Nothing wrong with this. This is where the company reputation comes into play.

I would love a new Gullwing Mercedes. I might not know anything about the insides; all I know is I'll end up with a top notch car, a cool car and fast car, a well made car without knowing how or why pistons go up and down. All I need to know is the reputation of the builders is top notch.

Since when must you know about electronics to have an opinion about why you bought an Apple product? I can purchase Apple knowing full well it is a good product, well made and if I drop my iPad, a visit to the Apple store is all I need to (usually) get it replaced at no charge. Just walk in, tell your tale and quite often, walk away with a new one.

At least this is what is being reported by many customers. This is why people purchase Apple products, I suspect. The reputation and generally speaking, the products Apple sells are first rate. You can be a happy Apple user without knowing what is inside the magic box.

Upvote 0
Hmmm

Okay guys :)

I have the answer to every single debate, life, the universe yes... pretty much EVERYTHING.

This is the answer to your questions you all hungerishly seek:

42.gif

Don't panic now! :)

Upvote 0
I think you just hang with the wrong people lol...

A guy at work has an i phone and although he is not smug, he seems genuinely excited about it. He's had it for a while now but it just makes him.... Happy?

He admits that it is his go to brand and we have talked about the pros and cons of our devices.

I also know some smug people with incredibles. Management jumped on them like rabid iphans on the iphone 5s. They're all douches......

Aaaaanyway, the smug people who would like to have their status symbol would probably go with an iphone. Its recognized by everyone everywhere. I think Samsung is going in the same direction though, now everyone knows about the s3.

Upvote 0
There are too many people in the world that base their value on how much they own or how much they have in the bank. They like to point out the cost of the items they own or show off the brand name they have. They wear, drive, use easily recognized brands that show off their cost. They want the status, not the product.

With some people I view Apple like I do Rolex. Both make a very fine product. Both have brand recognition. Both have alternatives that can cost more and do more. Both also have alternatives that can do more and cost less. With Rolex, people are usually buying the name. They had the choice of getting that or an Omega, Casio, Timex, I.W.C., Panerai, Frank Muller, Etc., but many of them went with Rolex because they want it to be recognized. It is the same reason that there are so many fake Rolex out there.

With some the, the best things in life are free. With others, the best things cost a lot and they will never stop telling you how much they paid.

I can agree, mostly. Rolex is a fine watch, no doubt about it. and people will pay for the product so it is costly. I saw pictures of a 350,000.00 Rolex just the other day. Platinum case ad diamonds.

A Timex tells time and without the bling.

Fact is, Rolex is likely costly due to how the product is manufactured. The most expensive watch I have seen is costly because it is extremely complex. The watch has many complications (ask Senior Google) so it is worth the cost if you consider its complex nature.

Some products are costly due to how they are made. A few that come to mind are Leica and Hasselblad. When I was selling cameras, there were no better cameras, period. Today, a Hasselblad is a 65,000.00 or more camera. Very costly and cheaper cameras abound, most certainly.

I would go with a different watch in the Rolex line. I would choose a repeater. Nit sure if Rolex still makes mechanical repeaters or not, but they are great watches and sadly, very costly.

I know a man that is worth about 2 billion dollars. He wears a cheap watch and drives an old truck. His house is nondescript and in an older neighborhood. He sees no need to spend cash.

I also know a youngster worth four hundred million and if it were possible, he would wear $50,000.00 suits; $500,000.00 watches and drive a $40,000,000.00 car.

Then again, this is likely possible, except for the fifty grand suit.

Upvote 0
Of course iPhones are cooler than Androids; it says so right on TV, over and over and over.

At least the phrase "Insanely Great" is dying off. Android needs a Jobs and a catchy catch phrase. We need a contest, I suppose.

I offer these:

Slogan: "Android . . . the beta Test is Almost Over" I stole that one.
or perhaps "Insanely Green."

Not sure about your fearless leader, though.

Upvote 0
Brand loyal people congregate at brand specific sites. It's no surprise they'd be positively reinforcing themselves. There will be fanatics in any discussion, but the vast majority of people -- iPhone owners, Android owners, BMW owners, Chevy owners, Coke drinkers, Pepsi Drinkers, etc. -- are reasonable people with no axe to grind or no opinion to propagate other than the fact that their kids are cuter than yours. ;)

Very true. I visit several sites: Leica sites, Hasselblad, Vincent, Indian, a variety of fountain pen sites and I read posts from fanatics and supporters with Mr. Joe Average caught in the middle, searching for a few facts and fairness.

There are those with strong opinions (me . . . I believe the last great Harley had a flat head engine) and others that will not dare let the brand name (insert any name otter than Indian here) pass their lips.

I know more than just a little about all of the above and I become frustrated at times. Especially when the fountain pen collectors and book authors meet some idiot that just learned how to turn a Penn State pen kit into a ho-hum piece of pedestrian crapola.

Perhaps the best thing to do is avoid the crap and the arguments and the BS and try to persevere.

Upvote 0
I'll be honest, at times I want a Mac for the soul purpose of how they look and tell myself, "well playing gw2 on ultra low shouldn't be THAT bad.."

Then I look at my desktop which is like half the price and outperforms the most expensive Mac which is priced equivalent to a used car.

Mac fanatics are all like "well, u probably got viruses, and..and, well it's just not osx."

I'm like whatever,
Lol mass effect 3
Lol gw2
Lol bf3

Upvote 0
I'll be honest, at times I want a Mac for the soul purpose of how they look and tell myself, "well playing gw2 on ultra low shouldn't be THAT bad.."

Then I look at my desktop which is like half the price and outperforms the most expensive Mac which is priced equivalent to a used car.

Mac fanatics are all like "well, u probably got viruses, and..and, well it's just not osx."

I'm like whatever,
Lol mass effect 3
Lol gw2
Lol bf3

The way they look is why I considered a Mac Air. They are incredibly thin and weigh next to nothing. So the look--if you consider its weight part of its look."

I suppose one should go Mac if there is a compelling need or go Mac if they want to think they are cool or part of a special group or for a dozen different reasons.

All I need to do is generate simple Word documents and ANY 'puter does the trick.

Upvote 0
I was sitting in a theater when the Samsung S3 S Beam commercial came on. When the commercial showed touching the two phones to exchange the video file the two people sitting behind me said in unison "It's the same phone!" I turned around an said yes, S Beam was for the S3 only (right now) but there is Android Beam to share between different Android phones. They said "Our iPhones have something similar." I said "Bump?" and they said yes. I said "Yeah, I have that too." I didn't want to go into how FaceTime uses the same phone, etc. I could tell they were iSheep, so I turned around and enjoyed the previews.

Upvote 0

Who really cares? People buy the phone they like and fits their lifestyle. This is just another Apple vs. Google (Android) pissing match thread.

Upvote 0
Yes there are apple users that are "smug" and I do know a few myself, but there are also android users out there that act the same way. I find myself smug, towards apple users at least. I do know where you are coming from I find my friends that praise apple and know nothing about the products to be very annoying.. but I know others find me annoying so its about even for me haha

Upvote 0
I think there are smug users of any product or brand.

How very true.

I am looking for a new suit and pair of exquisite shoes. I will likely leave the tailor's shop feeling so very smug. I'll pass the poor people wearing Hickey-Freeman or Brooks Brothers and know I am better than those off the rack losers.

They probably still use Blackberry or God forbid, one of those free Anderoidy things only welfare mothers or those that buy off contract cna afford to buy. I hear you Android beta testers can get them at the .99 cent store.

Not like us cool people that sign a contract and pay . . . with great pride because we are so smug...a 245.00 per week cell bill.

I am so glad I know which color Dolce & Gabbana suit color to wear in the fall because I read GQ. Apple keeps the publication available at the Apple store to peruse while waiting for your Genius Bar Appointment with the really smart people. I mean, you must know which color leather case to purchase; that is why all Apple stores have color stylists.

I suppose Android could have some Android stores for you little people so you feel special, too. Perhaps hire a few homeless people or perhaps a 12 year old; they know it all, you know?

I actually met someone the other day that could not afford a decent watch. My god, the loser. His watch must have been purchased with food stamps because it was one of those cheap $45,000.00 watches with no repeater function.

Go Apple and embrace the smuggy goodness. You will feel much better.

Upvote 0
...Pepsi Drinkers...
Hmmm.... do you think Phases or Rob were implying anything with this?
:pepsi: :rofl:

As far as the topic goes, I think it's likely that because iphone is quite popular and also has a pretty distinctive brand, that it'll attract some 'smug' people. The only reason I say this is because of the smug people I know, I don't likely see them going to some product they've never heard of.

I have a couple of friends who use iDevices, and I don't think they are smug. The way I look at it is that iphones are bought by say 10% of people. If 5% of people are smug, then 5% of iphone users are smug, so we've got .5% of people who are both smug and iphone users. :rolleyes: These numbers are just for kicks.

I did know this one android user who was just as obnoxious as any apple user I've ever seen though. I don't know either of these people, I was just an observer. Basically, iphone user was typing message on phone. Android user came up and was like "OMG you're using Apple! HA. You should get android. <totally LEET keyboard here> makes Android ten times better!" So you get it with both sides. I ignore people. I think I'm probably happier than if I didn't. :D

Also, xplosiv's post made me lol. :D

Upvote 0
The way they look is why I considered a Mac Air. They are incredibly thin and weigh next to nothing. So the look--if you consider its weight part of its look."

I suppose one should go Mac if there is a compelling need or go Mac if they want to think they are cool or part of a special group or for a dozen different reasons.

All I need to do is generate simple Word documents and ANY 'puter does the trick.

during my (brief) time as a mac user, just printing out simple word documents frustrated me to no end as the margins were never aligned properly. i never was able to find a fix for that, sadly. maybe i'm just that technologically handicapped :D anyway, it seemed that the mac sensed my misgivings as soon after that, i could never touch the keyboard area without feeling a small electrical jolt. i soon stopped using it and got a netbook, and am now very happy :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones