1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Why are there decade old unanswered post still in this forum?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by KBU2, Oct 1, 2018.

1. KBU2

KBU2 Android Expert

I'm just curious why the webmaster or administrator is letting unanswered post that's 10 years old and older linger in its serves memory when it's most likely the OP has passed on? What's the statue of limitation on a post?

Screenshot_20181001-175047.png

#1 KBU2, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

It's got to be a forum glitch from when we transitioned from vBulletin to Xenforo. A lot of the earlier posts from abandoned forums got truncated. I doubt they weren't really answered. Having those sit in the database doesn't really effect the overhead of the forum, so why not let the old posts stand?

3. KBU2

KBU2 Android Expert

Okay so does this glitch take up the site servers memory... And why hasn't it been fixed out of 10 years?:thinking:

4. lunatic59

It takes up a couple of bytes of storage, but has no impact at all on server memory.

5. KBU2

KBU2 Android Expert

Most of the devices that was in question doesn't even exist today. So I think that it's imperative that this glitch should be fixed some century.

6. lunatic59

Nah. It's like having a set of dusty old encyclopedias sitting on your shelf. While you may never open them, they aren't hurting anyone, and when you want to look up that 1912 map of Eastern Europe, you still can.

tommo47 and maire5 like this.
  7. KBU2

KBU2 Android Expert

I don't want to be misconstrued, but I've been in violation a couple of times for posting contents that didn't fit this site code of conduct. But in hindsight I still see 10 year old post that wasn't deleted for whatever reason while mine was immediately deleted.

8. lunatic59

Posts that violate forum policy should, and do get deleted. Old posts that are within the boundaries of the forum rules have no reason to be deleted.

kate, codesplice, JAy3001 and 4 others like this.
  9. KBU2

KBU2 Android Expert

The consorted and censored words of a true Republican... Noted and understood

10. lvt

lvt Android Expert

Someone will answer those questions, one day

KBU2 likes this.
  11. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

They aren't the same things at all.
    Technology inevitably moves on. What was posted as a valid answer 8 years ago is very likely not valid now. I'm sure most people recognise that. Look at StackOverflow - by far the most comprehensive website of tech Q&A, yet it's absolutely littered with out of date material. Nobody cleans that up, you just accept that a lot of answers aren't valid, and move on. Besides, you never know when there's a grain of truth/value in old threads, which may give someone a steer on how to solve their problem. I don't see that leaving these threads around does any harm, and would take a considerable amount of time to clean up. There's no system resource impact, other than taking up a bit of database storage. Easily solved by adding more storage, or periodically purging/archiving the database schema, which I'm guessing does happen at some point.

Hadron, tommo47 and maire5 like this.
  12. maire5

maire5 Well-Known Member

Glad to know that if I am having trouble sleeping, I can count ancient unanswered threads on this site. Have always wondered why people will complain (on other sites) when someone makes a valid post to an 'older' thread. I can agree that unanswered threads on outdated devices could probably stand being culled. Something for a bored staff member to do manually, one at a time. Ha!

13. tommo47

tommo47 On Yer Bike, In Yer Chair
    VIP Member

The posts referred to are all 'Phandroid News Bot' posts which by their very nature are not seeking 'answers’ but simply imparting relevant information.

Many of them providing links to give more details.

It could be said that they are of some historical importance and not least of all a tribute to Rob Jackson and his input to this forum.

Screenshot_20181002-062724.png Screenshot_20181002-062800.png

maire5 and mikedt like this.
  14. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Those are all news articles NOT not users looking for help, so there just wouldn't be answers to things like, "CTIA recap..." or "700MHz auction..."

tommo47 likes this.
  15. KBU2

KBU2 Android Expert

I'm not a member of Stack Overflow so their Q&A have very little importance to me.

16. KBU2

KBU2 Android Expert

Okay those maybe but the fact still remain there are still 10 year old post still lingering in this lingering in this forum.

17. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Would you suggest like a cut-off age or something, where old posts aare just deleted? Although I've never heard of any forum doing that, and they still have posts going right back to their beginnings.

18. JAy3001

JAy3001 Android Expert

There is no need to delete posts purely because of their age. Sometimes it's nice to look back at things in the past and have a giggle or go "what were we thinking?".

These posts are part of the history of the site and show the evolution of the site through the years.

Should we delete history because it is old?

tommo47 and mikedt like this.
  19. KBU2

KBU2 Android Expert

I just asked was there a statue of limitation on post, was that a crime?

20. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

No, and it's been fully explained what the situation is, and why it isn't a problem.

lunatic59 likes this.
  21. JAy3001

JAy3001 Android Expert

This thread is pure sour grapes @KBU2 I wonder whether you have had a post deleted recently and your just looking for a fight or to justify the removed posts?

Either way it has been explained why these threads still exist and will continue to do so.

22. KBU2

KBU2 Android Expert

Excuse me I was done with it why are you still talking about it? Or did you find it appropriate to put your two since in before it was over?

JAy3001 likes this.
  23. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

This serves no further purpose.
    Thread locked.

tommo47, maire5, kate and 4 others like this.

Android Forums

Android Forums Forum

com.andromo.dev43450.app44869

READ MORE
Last Updated
Rating
Installs