• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

why are therer so many Korean applications?

What 'Australian marketplace'? If you mean the Android market, that is not a specifically Australian marketplace. The Android market is targeted at all Android users, anywhere on the planet.

Just like this forum is not just for Australians, but for the whole world.

Raise the anglocentric flag and let it go, I don't think they can wrap their heads around the concept.

Upvote 0
[removed by Mod]

Android is an open platform, anyone can make any kind of app for it. If they want to make an app in Korean, they can. They didn't target those apps for English speakers, but for Koreans. Just because you and quite a few other Android users speak English, doesn't mean every app should be in English. If there is an app in a language you don't understand, just don't download it. You don't lose anything even if someone else gets an app or two in their own language.

Edit: OP, I'm really sorry about my language! I went too far and have absolutely nothing against you!

Reactions: SuperDarius
Upvote 0
how dare you guys call me a racist, point out to me where I made a racist comment here?

I went to the market on my Australian network and it was flooded with languages I do not understand, natuarally I expected some sort of language filter system to be in place on Android market to help me find the application in languages I would understand.

I have no problem with people writing application in other language, it is just Android market is mess with all different languages mixed together.

Upvote 0
how dare you guys call me a racist, point out to me where I made a racist comment here?

I went to the market on my Australian network and it was flooded with languages I do not understand, natuarally I expected some sort of language filter system to be in place on Android market to help me find the application in languages I would understand.

I have no problem with people writing application in other language, it is just Android market is mess with all different languages mixed together.

What are you actually searching for. I have come across some apps that were in foreign languages, but nowhere near what you are stating you are finding. Try using appbrain marketplace (it is a market alternative available on the market itself). It is generally really good at giving/suggesting the right sorts of apps for you.

Reactions: Slug
Upvote 0
The Android Market is really to blame, not developers. The Market should provide a per-user option to filter out apps based on how they are localized.

Developers have the option of what country (not language) the app will be available in. But there is no real incentive to not select "All Countries". If I was a Korean developer releasing an app only in Korean, I'd still select All Countries because what about Koreans living in Australia or the US or wherever? It might bother you, but you aren't the target audience so it doesn't really matter if you hate that developer. The Koreans living abroad would be bothered if they couldn't find the app and they're the ones that the developer is interested in keeping happy (And getting their ad clicks or selling them pro versions).

Reactions: Slug
Upvote 0
I fail to see the intent of racism. The OP had a simple misunderstanding about the structure of the App Market.

Apparently it's trendy to crucify someone over something innocuous if it remotely relates to another person's race. Ironically, in the spirit of acceptance for all, there are those that forgo that very principle to banish the OP.

Upvote 0
I see a few Korean applications, as well as Chinese and Japanese applications in the Market. Mostly in the transport and travel section,* which is to be expected here. But I wouldn't call it an excessive amount. The vast majority of applications I'm seeing are in English. This is on my Korean made, UK version, Samsung phone here in China.

*No.1 Application is something called 'Seoul Bus'...Presumably this has no relation to Soul Train

Upvote 0
1. I remember each country had their market enabled at different times (esp for paid apps) - so to what degree is the market we each see localized geographically?

FYI I don't see any paid applications in the Market here in China. Hong Kong and Macau, yes. Mainland, no. Most application that I see are in English. I think the vast majority of Chinese applications are distributed outside of the Android Market. Phones and tablets sold here do not have Android Market, i.e. not 'With Google'.

Upvote 0
Apple is doing it right now with music and any other media they can lay their claws on. Google is the juggernaut everybody knows is going for the jugular of cloud storage and computing...

Using Google or Apple here in China, is quite a mixed experience.

Docs, wordprocessing and spreadsheets, Picasa and Google Images, not available, unless one is paying for a proxy or VPN outside of China. Gmail, Calendar and Maps, OK here. Google does have free ad-supported music streaming and MP3 downloads, but only in mainland China and nowhere else.
'Ads by Google' and AdSense only appear on academic internet connections, never on residential connections. Search works but is heavily censored.

Apple iTunes Store is available, but only if one has a Visa, Mastercard or Amex credit-card associated with one's account, even for free stuff.

Sorry to interrupt but URGENT! - iFans - iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch Fans forums
'It's difficult to get a visa mastercard or amex in china. Most people have china unionpay debit cards. visa or mastercards are only available as credit cards and you have to own property or deposit 45K USD to get one of those.'

I'm sure Apple's thinking here is. If one is rich enough to own a genuine iPad or iPhone, one is rich enough to fit into this category.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones