• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why Aren't My Notifications Working?

Phoenix777

Android Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2016
Does anyone else have problems with certain apps not giving notifications? Most of them DO give notifications but there are a few apps that I have that NEVER do. It's very annoying and I miss messages and stuff. I've checked in App Manager and each app that is failing to give notifications IS in fact checked "Receive Notifications" but it's still not working.

Any suggestions?

I just went thru that a bit with Textra...

I found that in a fit of "silent mode itis" as my wife is in hospital, I had set the whole Textra app on "silent"

then of course, with all the activities in this place, I forgot about that....
then messages started rolling in, and the Notification screen was the only place I would know about them

a simple reset to a tone fixed my problem.
I am sure you have an app problem.

Reactions: Phoenix777
Upvote 0
I just went thru that a bit with Textra...

I found that in a fit of "silent mode itis" as my wife is in hospital, I had set the whole Textra app on "silent"

then of course, with all the activities in this place, I forgot about that....
then messages started rolling in, and the Notification screen was the only place I would know about them

a simple reset to a tone fixed my problem.
I am sure you have an app problem.
That's crazy. Just because I have my device set to silent notifications means I don't receive any notifications??? That's insane. I ALWAYS have my tablet set to silent and vibration turned off too. I simply like getting notifications visually in the notification bar - that's all. App notifications should work when silent/vibration is turned off.

Upvote 0
That's crazy. Just because I have my device set to silent notifications means I don't receive any notifications??? That's insane. I ALWAYS have my tablet set to silent and vibration turned off too. I simply like getting notifications visually in the notification bar - that's all. App notifications should work when silent/vibration is turned off.

the Notifications always show up in the Notifications screen when I pull it down from the top.
Plus, there is a 'T' showing for each notification that came in, miss 3 of them, there are 3 'T' icons on the top of the phone. So, Texra can give you visual indications....

that is how I came to remember that I had turned off audio for them.
easy fix for me, turn turned the default tone back on.
each of my SMS favorites though have unique tones.

Upvote 0
the Notifications always show up in the Notifications screen when I pull it down from the top.
Plus, there is a 'T' showing for each notification that came in, miss 3 of them, there are 3 'T' icons on the top of the phone. So, Texra can give you visual indications....

that is how I came to remember that I had turned off audio for them.
easy fix for me, turn turned the default tone back on.
each of my SMS favorites though have unique tones.
Ok you lost me. I'm confused here. I'm not sure why we're talking about this Texra app. lol This whole thread was created because I am having problems with some apps failing to give me notifications and I wondered why...so I asked if anyone knew what could be the problem? Not sure what this has to do with Texra.

Upvote 0
Ok you lost me. I'm confused here. I'm not sure why we're talking about this Texra app. lol This whole thread was created because I am having problems with some apps failing to give me notifications and I wondered why...so I asked if anyone knew what could be the problem? Not sure what this has to do with Texra.

Maybe tell us which apps and maybe people could be more specific with their help.

Upvote 0

Can you tell us which app or apps are failing to notify you? That might help us diagnose the problem. If we don't know which apps you're talking about, the only thing people will be able to tell you is just to make sure all your notification settings are correct in android settings and in the app settings, which isn't very helpful because I assume you've already checked those places ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones