• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why buy over the vibrant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get an Epic. Hardware keyboard, on screen keyboard, better camera than the Evo (mega pixels mean nothing), Flash, front facing camera, 4G, high res samoled screen, dlna (like hdmi but wireless), sprint

I know you deleted your post but I wanted to respond anyways. I am a amateur photographer and I can say that Megapixals are not the most important factor in a camera. But to say it means nothing is being a little naive (no offense). If you are a perfect photographer then maybe. But if you like to edit, zoom, or crop. And you have few megapixels to work with, your pictures become very pixelated for lack of the MP's.

DLNA is great if your TV has that compatibility. But most HDTV's have HDMI output. So the majority of people will actually benefit from HDMI versus DLNA.

Now all we need is a hack to utilize the HDMI out for the whole Android OS. Therefore we can hook up a bluetooth mouse and keyboard then we will have a mini pc.
Yeah. That's why I deleted my post. I knew people would say I don't know what I'm talking about (which i really don't). You being a photographer, you obviously know more about that stuff than me. But I do know that most people say the Galaxy S line's pictures look better than the Evo (without cropping, editing, etc.) Also video on the galaxy s line has been said to be much better than the Evo's. The majority of people don't edit pictures they took off their phone (most just uplaod them to facebook, flickr, etc.). And if you have a PS3 or certain bluray players, then you can use the DLNA function of the epic with your tv.

Upvote 0
This is my 8th state and 3 of those I had Tmo. Coverage was pretty shit. Also, GSM = unsecure.

Oh I'm sure Tmobile has shitty coverage areas also, but where I'm at, it's good.

GSM being less secure doesn't really mean anything if you can't actually do anything with it. Do most people even have that kind of snooping hardware required laying around the house? I would agree that GSM will need to be updated though.

Upvote 0
Ok, I found an EVO and I snatched it up. I have the two phones sitting here side by side. This is what my first reactions are:

Vibrant:
Better screen
Swipe
Better Pandora sound quality
lighter weight
Better picture quality

EVO
camera has flash
Free sprint tv
Front facing camera (though I have no idea when or if I'd ever use it)
Sprint Navigation (and better GPS in general)

And I think they said I'd be paying $69 a month +$10 4G charge (which isn't in my area) and that's not with unlimited landline calling- that's with 450 minutes of landline.

On TMo I have everything unlimited at $69 a month (b/c my husband is also on TMO we get a family discount).

So this is where I am right now. Two great phones. I am leaning towards staying with my vibrant because of the sound quality, pic quality, and swype. But I do like the sprint tv (tho wouldn't use it much I think).

If you have any more reasons I should stick with EVO I'd appreciate the input.

Upvote 0
Ok, I found an EVO and I snatched it up. I have the two phones sitting here side by side. This is what my first reactions are:

Vibrant:
Better screen
Swipe
lighter weight
Better picture quality

EVO
camera has flash
Free sprint tv
Front facing camera (though I have no idea when or if I'd ever use it)
Sprint Navigation (and better GPS in general)

And I think they said I'd be paying $69 a month +$10 4G charge (which isn't in my area) and that's not with unlimited landline calling- that's with 450 minutes of landline.

On TMo I have everything unlimited at $69 a month (b/c my husband is also on TMO we get a family discount).

So this is where I am right now. Two great phones. I am leaning towards staying with my vibrant because of the sound quality, pic quality, and swype. But I do like the sprint tv (tho wouldn't use it much I think).

If you have any more reasons I should stick with EVO I'd appreciate the input.

My guess is that you'll get EVO biased opinions given the fact that uh, this is an EVO forum :)

You don't seem to mention that Tmobile coverage is bad in your area so Tmobile vs Sprint might also not matter.

Honestly it doesn't matter what any of us think what you should get. You should get the phone that you like better.

Upvote 0
Vibrant:

If the Vibrant gets the 2.2 upgrade before Google fixes what they broke - your Pandora sound quality will tank pronto.

And a lot of EVO users have Swype.

A lot of people prefer the SAMOLED screen, but I dare say that if you compare either the EVO or the Vibrant to properly adjusted or calibrated HDTV, neither is really color-correct -- and no color adjustments are provided on either phone. Be sure to give each one a go in _your_ normal environment, whatever that might tend to be: fluorescent lighting, outdoors, nighttime - whatever's just the way you use it.

Otherwise, you're getting a TMO price advantage not open to many of us.

Both are top-notch products and I don't see how you could go way wrong with either one at this point.

I've got an EVO, we're waiting on the Epic 4G for my wife (Epic and Vibrant as you probably know are carrier-specific versions of the Samsung Galaxy S class phones).

If one could put the two into objective a/b categories and you were choosing on that, that would be one thing. But the Android flexibility overall tends to make all comparisons highly conditional - and so all any of us can do is to put each technology on a subjective a/b scale and weigh the differences.

I'm going to go with nahpungnome on this one: the differences are going to be along the lines of what you like and that's the one you should choose.

PS - I wouldn't trade my EVO for anything out there right now. The larger screen, the kickstand - it's simply fabulous as far as I'm concerned.

Upvote 0
I had t-mobile for 5 years and never had a problem. Their coverage was as good or better than anyone else's. Their 3g speeds are the fastest of all cell phone companies in my area and they have unsubsidized plans.

My girlfriend is on T-Mobile with a Nexus One and her download speeds are usually faster than mine, and she almost always has better coverage.

I liked T-mobile more than sprint, but I still like Sprint so far.

Upvote 0
Could you tell me how to get swype on EVO? Pretty please? :)
Could you also tell me what you love most about the phone? I guess the thing is, I really wanted to love this phone. I know what everyone likes is subjective but no one has really told me what it is they like so I don't know what to even really look for. At first glance they are both Androids w/ 1ghz processors, both fast, both good networks in my area. I don't have a lot of time to explore the phone myself b/c I am on a timeline with when I have to return the Vibrant to TMo if I am not keeping it. I really want to like the EVO. I am trying to see what everyone else has seen in it. It can't be sold out everywhere like mad for no reason.

Upvote 0
Could you also tell me what you love most about the phone? I guess the thing is, I really wanted to love this phone. I know what everyone likes is subjective but no one has really told me what it is they like so I don't know what to even really look for. At first glance they are both Androids w/ 1ghz processors, both fast, both good networks in my area. I don't have a lot of time to explore the phone myself b/c I am on a timeline with when I have to return the Vibrant to TMo if I am not keeping it. I really want to like the EVO. I am trying to see what everyone else has seen in it. It can't be sold out everywhere like mad for no reason.

For me, I chose Sprint because of my company discount. Then I chose my phone, the only logical choice was the EVO.

The screen, speed, and 4G capability are great. 4.3" is enough for me to not gripe about not having a physical keyboard. Also, since I've been using swype, the only time i really miss a physical keyboard is when playing certain games.

I think the screen resolution/dimensions are a good fit. The bigger screen makes it easier for me to type/swype. 3.5" and 960x640 as on the iPhone4 would be too small (but with high dpi). 4" on the Vibrant is also workable and you get a bit better dpi than the EVO.

I personally have not used the Vibrant enough (only played with it at a Tmobile kiosk) to give you a proper versus, but I love my EVO.

Swype will be out of beta soon so you can always buy it when it's released. I also don't care for the TouchWiz interface, but there are some nice things about it like the ability to add programs to the dock...oh how I wish I could do that with Sense... I could always download LauncherPro but I like the HTC widgets.

Seriously though, get the one you like better :)

Upvote 0
I had t-mobile for 5 years and never had a problem. Their coverage was as good or better than anyone else's. Their 3g speeds are the fastest of all cell phone companies in my area and they have unsubsidized plans.

My girlfriend is on T-Mobile with a Nexus One and her download speeds are usually faster than mine, and she almost always has better coverage.

I liked T-mobile more than sprint, but I still like Sprint so far.

I want to like T-mobile... but I live in the midwest. The GSM carriers have largely ignored us. So if you want coverage here you pretty much need to stick with CDMA. I think T-mobile has really good pricing, they are still working their way up so they don't have the arrogance that AT&T or Verizon have with regard to setting sky high prices.

Upvote 0
I want to like T-mobile... but I live in the midwest. The GSM carriers have largely ignored us. So if you want coverage here you pretty much need to stick with CDMA. I think T-mobile has really good pricing, they are still working their way up so they don't have the arrogance that AT&T or Verizon have with regard to setting sky high prices.

Yeah even with my company discount, ATT and Verizon were 30bux more a month than Sprint for me and my wife, even with the $10 evo fee per line... not worth it in my opinion.

Upvote 0

this guide has how to install swype plus the file

Swype for the EVO? Now with an IDIOT-PROOF GUIDE! - xda-developers

Upvote 0
Here's what I like about my Evo the most, I guess: The Big Screen.

I read a lot of eBooks - love Project Gutenberg, am constantly downloading and reading. When I lay my Evo down on top of one of my all-time, most re-read paperbacks, the default Georgia font when reading eBooks from that site is virtually identical in size - and much, much clearer on the Evo. Easy on the eyes is an understatement.

I use Google Gesture Search (free, Market) a LOT because I have hundreds of contacts in my phone. A larger screen lets me rush or get sloppy, yet still get the job done.

Video jukebox. I download favorite YouTube music videos and just store them for when I feel like that sort of thing. At that point, no worries about downloading, I'm good to go right away - the bigger screen makes the difference.

TV - I'm a huge Babylon 5 fan. If you have 2.2 on your Evo as many of us do, you can go to this site and watch full-screen episodes -

Babylon 5 Full Episodes from The WB - Watch Free Babylon 5 Online on SlashControl

Google Sky. Love Google Sky. Goes nicely with my son's 10" and 12" telescopes.

Newsreader - just like eBooks, some days I'm a news junkie.

Can all of these be done in a spectacular fashion on a Vibrant? Yes (with the proviso that 2.2 is still coming for that).

Are all of these things just a little better on a little bigger screen - don't kid yourself, you know they are - see for yourself.

And the kickstand. Not a gimmick. It grows on you. Put your favorite tube or vid on the Evo and prop it up next to you while you type a reply to this or the next. Now - put the Evo out of sight, and try that again with the Vibrant. Use any little desktop prop you think might be handy.

For me - Evo.

Reactions: dr g
Upvote 0
All carriers are ass depending on your location. I was with Tmobile previously and my coverage was great along with their customer service. Their prices were pretty decent also.

I agree ... I was with T-Mo before switching to Sprint. T-Mo has great coverage in all the locations I was with them over the past 3 years and the have a plan now that is almost offers exactly the same thing that the 69.99 Sprint plan offers. They just do not have the Evo or 4G. :)

Oh, and T-Mo definitely had the best customer service out of the carriers I have ever dealt with. (AT&T to Sprint to T-Mo now back to Sprint)

Upvote 0
How to evaluate Project Gutenberg quality on each phone.

Get Aldiko, free, Market.

Follow these steps: Gutenberg:Aldiko - Gutenberg

Go get the "with picture" version of this book: Second Variety by Philip K. Dick.

Set both screens, via settings, for Day Theme of Light Golden Rod background and leave font alone. Leave Night Theme alone.

Open each, scroll along until you find some well-decorated text (you'll find the quotation marks are actual, not those courier-computer chicken scratches) and set each device to the same page.

Slide your finger along the left border to adjust brightness until perfect on each device.

Hold each at about the same distance you'd comfortably hold a paperback.

Switch each into nighttime mode, adjust brightness, repeat comparison.

Switch both back to Day Theme, adjust brightness subjectively on each.

Open your favorite paperback. Put one phone down on the left page, the other on the right.

If you get an impression of a simple "no question - this is just better!" - then you've found the display that matches your eye-brain combo the best and therefore the display you'll be more likely to use, more and more and more.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much!! This is exactly what I was looking for. I hadn't heard of video jukebox. Is newsreader an app?

News is an app in the Evo drawer - it's GREAT. The term "newsreader" is the generic name for that sort of thing. I keep up on tech, world news, all sorts of stuff. I also like World Newspapers - a lot (free, Market).

To make your own video playlist - you snag Meridian free from the market - does audio and video and lots of codecs (formats)

You then go and get this, set your Settings->Applications->Unknown sources to checked, then go here, download and install:

iVideo - GreenCode

And then you just make your own video playlist in Meridian out of tubes you snagged with iVideo.

Ta Da! Your very own, customized Video Jukebox, Android style.

PS - Don't look for fancy control bars in Meridian - just swipe the screen, use your instincts after you see it work - it'll do exactly what you think it's going to do.

Upvote 0
In most cases the hspa network beats just about any network

While I agree with you in principle, TMobile's data coverage is pretty poor compared to other carriers. I mean, there are areas where it is great and the coverage is awesome, however, speaking from experience as a Traveler, their 3G network sucks in terms of coverage.

Here is also a interesting sign of the times at TMobile, They are starting to hemorrhage customers, and unlike other carriers, they have no significant investments in a 4G Technology. HSPA+ is great (I used it in Europe on a TMobile network, 3mpbs connection consistently, "burst" speeds up to 12 mpbs) but it is limited, and to stay relevant they are going to need to invest in 4G. They are behind the power curve :)

Upvote 0
I have a vibrant and I am in my last few days before I am beyond the remorse period. I'd like to know why you bought the evo over the vibrant and if you'd do it again. I am pretty sure I will stick with what I have but I need to be sure I am not over looking anything major. Thanks!

Well, I see that you have an Evo now, so you may have already answered this question for yourself.
Some of the differences between the Evo, and Vibrant are just personal preference, such as screen size, screen type, etc, while some other differences are fact. The Vibrant has quite a bit more internal memory to play with, but then you can always put more memory in either phone with an SD card.
There is the issue of which provider to go with. Where I live, they both (T-Mo & Sprint) have great customer service, and coverage. For some reason though, I always get a clearer sound quality through my Evo as compared to my Vibrant. I also find that the Evo runs EXTREMELY smoothly, where my Vibrant stutters way more than any phone THAT powerful should.
Keep in mind that the Evo has Froyo NOW, as compared to an estimated September Froyo delivery for Vibrant.
I hope you will love your Evo as much as most of us here do.
Good luck which ever choice you go with.:)

Upvote 0
damewolf, Can I ask you how you have so many different phones? I would LOVE to be able to have more than one. I'd keep both of these if I could.

Well, let me tell you, I work really hard, and put up with a lot of crap at work. But besides that, some people gamble in Vegas, and I am a cell phone freak/geek, and this is my guilty pleasure. :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones