• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why buy the very expensive Z Flip?

Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
US
In spite of its price, lack of top end tech and potential vulnerability the Z Flip can be a good choice for someone who travels frequently. Here are some of my reasons for purchasing this phone and my limited experience to date.
Form factor: easily and comfortably slips into pant, jacket pockets. Easily removable from pant pocket without having to release seatbelt while in car or plane. You can't believe what a pleasure it is not having the discomfort of a bulky semi-tablet in your pocket.
Use of Phone While Traveling: whether I am on a plane or train I can place the phone open at 90° on the tray and use it in full-screen or split screen view.
I can make video calls with the phone open at 90° sitting on the tray or normal calls while multitasking on the phone.
I can stand it sideways with a slight bend and watch full-screen videos/movies, similar to a miniature curved PC monitor.
While traveling, I can set the phone on a ledge, table or any other available flat surface to take pictures and videos with no jittering or shake. The easily adjustable angle of the top half gives considerable flexibility in focusing in on the shot.
The slightly slimmer form factor gives a surprisingly better grip when walking and using the open phone.
While the screen is clearly not anywhere as strong as my galaxy S 10+, I have already gotten into the habit of flipping the phone shut when not using it. As such it's screen is only exposed to damage when open.
Unlike the galaxy S 10+ it does have a more pronounced bevel that is raised sufficiently to protect the screen if the phone is dropped while open. One drop for me already
Time will test the durability of the screen and the hinge. In the meantime, happy camper.

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones