1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Why can't I find these 2 popular apps?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by vincent c2345, Apr 1, 2020.

1. vincent c2345

vincent c2345 Lurker

I am looking for stock market type apps and two of the biggest recommended apps are "Robinhood" and "Acorn". When I do a search for either of those -- they don't show up. I get a "MyWallStreet" app and StashAway - but not the two I am looking for. What gives?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

Welcome to AF @vincent c2345

Acon and Robinhood can be downloaded from ApkMirror.

https://www.apkmirror.com

ocnbrze and Xavier Black like this.
  3. vincent c2345

vincent c2345 Lurker

Mr Javi,
    Thank you. I just don't understand why they don't show up in the Google Play Store. Sorry for my ignorance -- I don't do too much with phone apps. I just thought Google Play store host ALL apps -- or at least all "reputable" apps.

4. vincent c2345

vincent c2345 Lurker

Danny,
    Thank you also. However, I am still confused. If there is an app named "Robinhood" and I do a search using "Robinhood" as my search key -- isn't Google's search mechanism smart enough to find a match on that app? I mean -- I typed the exact name of the app and the Google Play Store still doesn't find it? This is what has be confused and frustrated. --vincent

5. vincent c2345

vincent c2345 Lurker

SOLVED. After using the URLs that Danny recommended, I found that both apps are INCOMPATIBLE with my Samsung 5 device, running Android 4.4. I guess I'm behind the times. However -- in my opinion -- the Google Play Store should STILL show those apps when I do a search, but with a red X through them or something that indicates they are incompatible with my device. Perhaps there is a setting somewhere that controls this? If so, I don't know where that setting is but I would like to turn it on. Thanks to all for their help. --vincent

Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.
  6. Xavier Black

Xavier Black Android Expert

..then you can just use Robinhood in your browser..there's not difference..

7. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

Normally, I'd say you could downgrade the apps but being financial apks makes this option a security concern. I believe @Xavier Black offers the best option.

Xavier Black and ocnbrze like this.
  8. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Well if that's your opinion you can try to persuade Google - and good luck with that! ;)

No, there is no such setting. The trick is to search play.google.com from a browser while not signed in to your google account: then it doesn't know what device(s) you have and hence will show you everything (or at least everything in your region - it knows your IP address, after all). The play store app on your phone always knows what device you are using, so always limits you to apps compatible with that device. It's always been this way, even back to before it was called the Play Store (which I still think is a stupid name).

Oh, and the search function of the play store is still surprisingly poor when you consider what Google's core business is...

puppykickr, Dannydet and MrJavi like this.
  9. vincent c2345

vincent c2345 Lurker

Hadron,
    Thanks for the background information, and I agree with you on the "Play Store" name;) For the few apps I've downloaded, I've always used the Play Store on my phone but I see that my device is known when I do this. Probably time to upgrade anyways... thanks again. --vincent

10. Milo Willamson

Milo Willamson Android Expert

Have you looked into your left side of the play store, it should say "My apps" It should be catagorized by what you did download first .

11. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Also, do not always trust the Play Store to be honest about apps they claim are 'incompatable'.

I discovered that an app I am fond of was deemed incompatible for my new device by Google.

After mutiple fruitless encounters with both Google and the developers of the app, I went to a different app store, UpToDown, where I easily downloaded and installed the app.

I also discovered ApkPure, where the app I wanted also can be downloaded and used perfectly on my 'incompatible' device.

Also, there are many, many exellent apps that are not on Google.

Sure, an upgrade in device may be nice, but so is broadening your horizons.
    As is increasing your options.

Xavier Black likes this.