1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Why cant i hear anything? Please help newbie out

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Baby_blu, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Baby_blu

Baby_blu Lurker
    None

Jan 17, 2014
    Female
    Texarkana, Arkansas
    Hi I'm new to these forums so please forgive me if I don't do this right.
    I just bought my Samsung galaxy centrua s 738c from my local walmart on 12-31-2013 for $100 plus the $45 unlimited service plan. The phone worked great and I really do love it however...
    I powered my phone on after allowing it to fully charge today only to notice that the usual boot sound didn't play as it normally does. Thought to myself, "ok maybe I forgot to turn the sound back on" so I checked it only to see every volume control was infact on after& turned completely up. Tried to listen to some downloaded music...got no sound unless the headphones were used...the same thing viewing videos...my headphones had to be used.
    This worried me so I attempted to call Straight talk customer service only to discover I had no in call sound unless my speaker phone was on.
    I was instructed to do a factory reset then dial *22890 by the customer service representative. So I did and still nothing. The problem remains.

I can't afford to go buy yet another phone due to living on ssi and really can't afford to send it in for repairs as I use it to contact my chronically ill and disabled sons surgeons and doctors.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this issue? Can I download the firmware or software and reinstall it to accomplish fixing the issue at hand? If so...where do I find it?

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance my new friends!

Advertisement

2. JooseyJay

JooseyJay Member
    None

Jul 15, 2012
    You might still be able to return it to Walmart. Don't know if they will let you trade it in or refund or what. I wouldnt say to install any Roms or firmware if its all you have to communicate with, because while unlikely its possible to brick it.

3. Baby_blu

Baby_blu Lurker
    None

Jan 17, 2014
    Female
    Texarkana, Arkansas

Walmart won't accept it back...only allowed to return cellular devices within 15 days of purchase. I've attempted and miserably failed in doing so.:stupid: :thinking:

4. kuntrygrace

kuntrygrace Lurker
    None

May 4, 2014
    Hello. Im Kristi. I was wondering If U Ever Found A Solution? My Phone Just Started Doing This.

5. glantrithor

glantrithor Lurker
    None

Jun 4, 2015
    Hi there Kristi and the rest of us who ran into this problem. I couldn't find anything helpful so I've just been troubleshooting the phone. Oddly enough in my case I ended up in the call settings where I noticed that the voice security feature had been activated where it has never been before, so I just turned it back off and presto! I have sound again! I hope this simple fix works for others as well, nothing worse than thinking your stuff is dysfunctional.

6. Steve_912

Steve_912 Newbie
    None

Mar 11, 2014
    Georgia
    Sounds like the contacts in headphone jack are stuck...if giantrithor's suggestion doesn't work, try working your headset plug in & out of the phone jack a few times.