• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why cant i hear anything? Please help newbie out

Samsung galaxy centura bought 12/31/13 from walmart.
No sound during call unless on speaker phone. No sound during media play, such ad video or music unless headphones are used. Tried returning for an exchange, not allowed to. Called customer service. Told to do factory reset then *22890. DID NOT FIX THE ISSUE AT HAND.
Phone was working great until the battery died & I powered it on after charging completely.

ONLY COMMUNICATION LINK TO CHRONICALLY ILL AND DISABLED SONS DR & SURGEONS SO I CAN'T SEND IT BACK TO STRAIGHT TALK FOR REPAIRS.

LIVE ON FIXED INCOME SO NO POSSIBLE WAY TO BUY A NEW ONE!

Please, is there any possible way to repair this issue other than buying a NEW phone or sending this one in to be repaired & doing without a phone for. 2-3 weeks?
Or am I out the $100 I paid for the device and the $45 for service??
Please...my son has been very ill over these past few days and I'm greatly concerned as I'm about to travel out of state away from family, on my own with my child for yet another surgery.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

The 'no sound unless headphones' or speaker phone is used, sounds to me like the earphone jack is stuck or dirty.

When the headset plug is inserted in the jack, it not only connects the headset to the phone's audio circuit--it also *disconnects* the audio circuit from the phone's internal earpiece. When the headset plug is withdrawn, the contacts _should_ spring back, and REconnect the internal phone earpiece.

You might try inserting and withdrawing the headset plug a few times, and see if that restores proper operation.

The contacts in the jack are fairly small and delicate, so poking around in there with something is NOT recommended.

There's other things you can try, but better to try safe stuff, first.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones