• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why can't I see how much data these apps are using?

Why can't I see how much data these apps are using?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211002-225249_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20211002-225249_Settings.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 146
Probably because they haven't used any. But if you want to know for sure, click on the app name.

"Restricted" doesn't mean that you are restricted from seeing it, it means that you have restricted those apps from using data in the background (i.e. when the app isn't open on your screen). So if you only use those apps when connected to WiFi and they can't use data when you aren't looking at them then they won't use any mobile data.

Upvote 0
Yes, that's all visible in the photo.

So it shows the apps you've restricted background data access for at the top of the list. That's all. Maybe the software designers thought that for some reason it was important to let you know which apps you had restricted background access for? Personally I'd think it more important to warn you which ones you haven't restricted, but I don't have Google's mindset ;).

But if you know that Game Booster (a name that would have me looking for the uninstall or disable buttons, as all "booster" apps are invariably junk) has only used 10kB you now know how to check their data usage, and if you don't use these apps much it's no surprise that they aren't using much. So I don't see any problem here myself.

Upvote 0
Yes, that's all visible in the photo.

So it shows the apps you've restricted background data access for at the top of the list. That's all. Maybe the software designers thought that for some reason it was important to let you know which apps you had restricted background access for? Personally I'd think it more important to warn you which ones you haven't restricted, but I don't have Google's mindset ;).

But if you know that Game Booster (a name that would have me looking for the uninstall or disable buttons, as all "booster" apps are invariably junk) has only used 10kB you now know how to check their data usage, and if you don't use these apps much it's no surprise that they aren't using much. So I don't see any problem here myself.

Thank you, that's all I needed to know!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones