1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Why cant you Receive MMS messages

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wigfield, Aug 29, 2013.

1. wigfield

wigfield Android Enthusiast

My daughter has the Ace on Voadafone pay as you go but every time she gets a MMS it tells her to go to the voadafone website to download it,I set her up to get picture messages by sending a text message to 40217 and i installed what i had to do.

As she is on pay as you go packet data is not turned on.

She has had older phones where she use to get picture messages like the nokia 3510i.

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Have you tried setting the APN's manually or confirming what you have in there is correct?

Is it Vodafone UK? I'll have a scan and see if I can find the correct settings for you.

3. wigfield

Hi Yes its Voadafone UK. Got to say ive not looked if the settings are correct where do you go to see the settings?

Cheers.

4. El Presidente

VIP Member

On Gingerbread handsets, I think it's Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names.

There might be 2, one for MMS and one for internet.

Try/check these, see if they match what you have already:

I'll double check, see if there are any more possibilities.

5. wigfield

Hi

All the settings are correct.

6. El Presidente

VIP Member

And still no joy?

Have a look in the settings for the SMS app, is there a box for MMS auto retrieve, is that ticked? If not, tick it and try again.

7. wigfield

Hi

Yes still no luck and auto retrieve is ticked.

8. wigfield

Does the Mobile Data have to be turned on?

9. El Presidente

VIP Member

Yep, it should be turned on. Has it been off?

wigfield likes this.
  10. wigfield

Could well be it then im sure its off because having data on would mean her money would go from the apps thats installed.

11. wigfield

So i see in (Mobile Settings) Packet Data is off and in (Accounts and Sync) Background data is off,Would both of them have to be on?

Cheers

12. El Presidente

VIP Member

Not sure about background data, but packet data would have to be on.

If she turned off background data, that might stop her apps from downloading/syncing in the background when she doesn't need them to.

13. wigfield

Ok,So by turning on packet data would she be using any money without her knowing it?

14. El Presidente

VIP Member

She'll use minimal data syncing, getting emails etc and if you make sure auto updates for Play is turned off, even less.

Does she have a data allowance or just charged for what she uses? There are apps that monitor what other apps are using data etc.

Unless something is configured wrongly, or a bad app, she probably won't use much. I'm connected to WiFi most of the time and if it wasn't for me browsing or youtube when I'm not connected to WiFi, I'd hardly use any data as the phone doesn't do much.

15. wigfield

Hi

No she doesn't have any data allowance,She doesn't use apps like gmail weather etc..At the moment she doesn't even use the internet,Just the play store.

Just been doing some research and it looks like you can set it up to use just MMS by creating a second APN,Not sure if thats the way to do it.

16. Marcha

Marcha Well-Known Member

Hi,
    As already stated, data packet has to be turned on for MMS.
    With my pay as you go carrier I have to set a separate APN for MMS, this depends on the carrier you're using.
    If it's possible to use wifi, it's cheaper sending an e-mail with attachment. Wifi won't cost her extra.

wigfield likes this.
  17. wigfield

Ive been told there is a App that can restrict the apps on the phone so it updates on wifi only even if you have data packet on,I think its called 3G Watchdog anyone heared of it.

Samsung Galaxy Ace Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Ace release date was February 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 5MP camera, 278GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1350mAh battery.

February 2011
Release Date
Reviews