• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why did Google buy Motorola ?

Crocobill

Nov 3, 2011
Paris
Hello everybody,

OPEN DISCUSSION
I am not sure I understand why Google bought Motorola.
Isn't there a big risk that the big manufacturers who were / are using android consider that they are now competing with Google and choose another OS ? Isn't Nokia's choice to use Windows the consequence of Google's decision ?
In short, do you consider this decision as a good or bad one ?

no, google will tell them behind the curtain what it wants to do with motorola:

keep it running, independantly (from google), as well supported (with software + engineers) as the others. but they want to own the patent porfolio, which is helping against apple and all other suers. and that is helping for all android producers, including htc/samsung/etc.

Reactions: Crocobill
Upvote 0
no, google will tell them behind the curtain what it wants to do with motorola:

keep it running, independantly (from google), as well supported (with software + engineers) as the others. but they want to own the patent porfolio, which is helping against apple and all other suers. and that is helping for all android producers, including htc/samsung/etc.

Thanks about the explanation. You are right about the patents. But, don't you think that it is in Google's interest to make a better version of Android for motorola ?

Upvote 0
Thanks about the explanation. You are right about the patents. But, don't you think that it is in Google's interest to make a better version of Android for motorola ?

Nope.

Google makes money on advertising. The more Android they have running on the more devices, with more free (read: ad-supported) Android apps, the more money they make.

Android is the crux of the Open Handset Alliance - check out the members and consider the legal relationships.

Google in Korea and HTC in Taiwan both stood up with silly saber rattling to their stockholders this year about protecting themselves from a Google-Motorola supremacy. Pure pandering - they both know Google's profit model and are in complete cooperation with Google.

What was the outcome? The bidding completed for the next Google phone and it's coming out soon as the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. And the HTC roadmap for ICS upgrades is already published.

Google went after Motorola to get their patent and intellectual property war chest to use fight back against all of the ridiculous and lying Apple court claims.

Android is just a means for prosecuting the Google business model, and that business model is about advertising.

Upvote 0
Something else to consider is Google's Balance Sheet... If I recall correctly they're sitting on Cash & Cash Equivalents (Pure Liquidity) of around 45-50 billion dollars. Shareholders will only allow them to sit on an amount that size for so long before they begin calling for a course of action. For the past couple years of course Google could claim economic uncertainty as to why they held large cash reserves. That is becoming less of a issue though it appears (though not some days) and they're exploring ways to grow that amount. Tech firms are notorious for sitting on piles of cash without declaring a dividend due to that being viewed as "peak growth" by the market, meaning their best days are behind them. You see Apple doing the same thing sitting on 70+ billion dollars. The Motorola acquisition makes sense because it gives them further vertical integration and that pool of patents brought up by an earlier poster. I haven't looked at Motorola but my initial thought is Google overpaid for them...

Reactions: Caloy and Crocobill
Upvote 0
Isn't Nokia's choice to use Windows the consequence of Google's decision ?

I think you have some of your dates off. Nokia went into a sole partnership with Microsoft months (a good half year) before Google announced its acquisition of Motorola Mobile Division. So, unless Nokia has someone on Google's BOD, I doubt Nokia's decision to partner with Microsoft is because of Google's purchase of Motorola. I think the hundreds of millions of dollars Microsoft offered Nokia was the reason for the partnership between the two companies ;)

http://m.techcrunch.com/2011/02/10/nokia-confirms-microsoft-partnership-new-leadership-team/

Upvote 0
I think you have some of your dates off. Nokia went into a sole partnership with Microsoft months (a good half year) before Google announced its acquisition of Motorola Mobile Division. So, unless Nokia has someone on Google's BOD, I doubt Nokia's decision to partner with Microsoft is because of Google's purchase of Motorola. I think the hundreds of millions of dollars Microsoft offered Nokia was the reason for the partnership between the two companies ;)

AOL Error Page

True. Thanks for the clarification !

Upvote 0
Nokia's choice to go with Microsoft may be a result of Google, but not in the timeline you have. Nokia probably chose MS (not just because the one of the head guys used to work for MS) because of all the legal bedlam that Android has had to endure. Symbian has been circling the drain for some time and Android looked more like a landmine for Nokia.

As for Google-Motorola, patents. Motorola has some of the granddaddy of all cell phone patents so it makes sense for them to acquire. It also gives Google a test bed for new ideas. Motorola can be independent, but Google can go to them if they want to test some new ideas for Android or new hardware.

Upvote 0
I thought nokia joined to make more people use windows7

Because the new guy in charge used to work for Microsoft, of course. Nokia needed an outside ecosystem and the only real two choices were Android and WP7. Sure they could have pushed Meego or asked Samsung to use Bada, but in the end Meego is pretty much Linux and Bada helps a competitor. WP7 and Android would have been the only ones in the running and when viewing Android's legal troubles combined with Microsoft's patent portfolio, WP7 was the most obvious.

Upvote 0
Because the new guy in charge used to work for Microsoft, of course. Nokia needed an outside ecosystem and the only real two choices were Android and WP7. Sure they could have pushed Meego or asked Samsung to use Bada, but in the end Meego is pretty much Linux and Bada helps a competitor. WP7 and Android would have been the only ones in the running and when viewing Android's legal troubles combined with Microsoft's patent portfolio, WP7 was the most obvious.

Actually, if Nokia had gone with Android, they would have made an awesome beast of a phone. I think they would have done quite well. They would have paid MS the (rumoured) $15 licensing fees that HTC and some other OEMs are paying.

If you look at HTC and Samsung's quarterly reports, for every quarter, they have surpassed the previous one, year over year. So even with the licensing fees, these companies are making shit load of money. So, I don't think there would be legal issues with MS but more with Apple. Apple doesn't care too much on licensing fees but getting Android products off the market (ex. Germany/Austrialia with the Samsung 10.1" Tab). So had Nokia gone down this route, they would have to face against 'the big bad Apple' per say. Though Nokia has a large arsenal of (intentional) patents under its belt so I don't think they would be too handicapped.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

Perhaps.

But back before it all came out, I seem to recall clearly that Nokia said publicly they were heavily invested in the new Symbian and that's why weren't going to change to anything else.

And while we tend to think of Symbian as a lesser feature phone/almost kind of OS in general, we have one regular member here, ElasticNinja, who was quite familiar with the new Symbian and was able to show that it was a worthy product.

Yet - after Elop - that entire segment was gutted from the company, and a major segment of their country's economy was in turmoil.

I think only the Nokia board knows for sure - but I think from reading it while it happened that Nokia got more than bargained for Elop - they got Microsoft as a new overlord and no turning back.

As for timelines - I don't recall the big patent issues with Apple at the forefront when all this went down. So, either you are right and Nokia had good insight on that - or - there's still more to the story.

Much as I personally don't like the Microsoft phone approach - if it ends up as a quality product, then that creates competition and we consumers all win.

I keep reading Nokia owners on our forums raving about the camera quality - gotta admit, from those reports and the universal agreement posted as follow-ons, I am jealous.

Upvote 0
There is possibly another piece to this deal as well: Google TV May Benefit From Google-Motorola Merger - Mobile and Wireless - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

Now Google and Comcast (they use Motorola DVRs) will have control over my entire life. :eek:

Google purchased Motorola Mobility, I would think that Motorola Set Top (Cable) Box division belongs to the Motorola company itself and not Motorola Mobility. So, they should say it's easier for Google to go into partnership with Motorola to integrate its Google TV software to Motorola's cable box. Though from the article, that's not going to be an easy task.

Upvote 0
One thing to note is most of these companies have stake in the other. Ms saved apple and has a good chunk of their shares. Google is on the board of apple. In the end nobody really wins or loses. Heck iphone is really a good part samsung yet look whats happening.

At the end of the day google moto doesnt do anything to other companies decision. The only real difference may be the release of the next dessert probably will be on a moto phone followed a week later everyone else.

Upvote 0
Google falls in love with Motor,which would make samsung and HTC sad
Please get your fact straight. Did you not read anything that was posted in this thread before you posted? Google MADE it clear that it was not going to be biased towards Motorola with its Android dealing. The new Galaxy Nexus is being made by SAMSUNG. Google GAVE HTC Motorola patents for HTC to fight against Apple. I don't think Samsung nor HTC are sad. Google is doing everything to make sure Android succeeds. So far, Google has shown that it won't pick one OEM over the other. The success of the OEMs in selling Android means the success of Google. Read EarlyMon's post (post #5), he explains it very well.

Google WAS on the board of apple.
FIFY

Unless I'm mistaken, you are referring to Eric Schmidt right? He left the Apple BOD in 2009.

Heck iphone is really a good part samsung yet look whats happening.

Yup...the IRONY of it all. lol I guess the right hand doesn't get involved with what the left hand is doing.
Well, this relationship is kind of weird. The Korea Times reported “Apple has been in talks with Samsung over shipment of its A6 quad-core mobile processor (AP) chips to be used in the next iPhone.” Their source went on further to say “It appears that Apple clearly has concluded that Samsung remains a critical business partner.”
Apple and Samsung have been suing and counter-suing each other for quite some time now, and it is a bit strange to see them still work as business partners. Choi Gee-Sung, a Samsung Electronics Chief Executive, told reporters that Samsung is handling legal issues involving Apple independently of its business relationship with the company.
source

I guess this is how the business world works...though it seems a bit hypocritical of Apple, lol. Though I can see why Samsung can't break its tie with Apple:

Apple will become Samsung’s biggest overseas client by the end of this year, according to industry analysts, after buying over $8 billion worth of components including liquid crystal displays (LCDs) and memory chips.
source

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones