• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why did I get a notification? Is there a log?

pennstump

Lurker
Feb 22, 2011
First post, but I searched the archives and didn't see an answer to my question.

I have an LG Optimus V on Virgin Mobile, running 2.2.1. I occasionally receive what I can best describe as phantom notifications. When they happen, I receive just a notification sound and no vibration even though I have the phone set to always vibrate. When this occurs I check the phone; no notifications on the notification bar, no new calls, no new voicemails, no new email, no new sms, no new facebook -- nothing. Then, if I do get a missed call or new voicemail - notification sound and vibrate. If I get an SMS - notification sound and vibrate.

Is there a notification log that I can access as an end user? Is there an app to help me diagnose why I just got a notification?

Thanks.

What notification sound is it? Is it the same sound as the system notification or a specific app's notification? Have you tried changing your notification sounds to track it down?
It is the system notification and when I changed the system notification sound this phantom sound also changed.

I've gone through all the other apps and widgets and disabled anywhere I saw a notification configuration.

As I just typed that, my phone did it again. Is there no log? TIA.

Upvote 0
As I just typed that, my phone did it again. Is there no log? TIA.

If you have the Android SDK installed you can look at logcat from the console or you could install an app like Download Log Collector for your Android phone on AppBrain (never tried it, so I don't know how useful it may be).

Mind you, Android logs are pretty cryptic. You might need a developer to help you decipher it.

The sound might be a notification of a service starting or stopping, or a successful sync or a connection to a network (or disconnection) although I have no idea where you'd set those notifications.

Upvote 0
If you have the Android SDK installed you can look at logcat from the console or you could install an app like Download Log Collector for your Android phone on AppBrain (never tried it, so I don't know how useful it may be).

Mind you, Android logs are pretty cryptic. You might need a developer to help you decipher it.

The sound might be a notification of a service starting or stopping, or a successful sync or a connection to a network (or disconnection) although I have no idea where you'd set those notifications.
Great! Thanks. I just downloaded Log Collector and I'm going to wait for the next occurrence. I'll report back if I find anything.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones