• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why Did It Take So Long To Make "Keep"?

Yeah don't get me wrong. The fact I'm TWO BUTTONS away from taking down a memo on my nexus is freaking AWESOME but it's so obvious! Why didn't they do this sooner?

I will actually go so far in fact to say this is a game changing feature for Android. I mean, does iOS or Windows 8 have a note taking app that works this fast?

Upvote 0
There are several apps that offer similar function, and are well established (Evernote and Catch), so I don't know that there was an urgent need from a user's perspective for Google to come out with something similar. That said, I've always failed to see the value in these apps, but will take a look at Keep merely because it's from Google. Who knows... I may yet see the light, and possibly move to something more full featured like Evernote or Catch.

Upvote 0
I love that it is integrated to Google Now, just say "take note" followed by what you want the Note to say. :)

I didn't even think of trying that. That is AWESOME!

(btw, you can also just say "note")

Now if there were only some way to secure individual notes from being opened (or even the whole app I guess)

And don't forget that those of us with 4.2 (or is it 4.2.2) can add a lock screen widget so we can create a note in keep without unlocking the screen. I don't think that the other note services do that yet.

Upvote 0
I wasn't too impressed on my first look. Seeing that it is integrated with Google Now is nice. I don't see any way to group notes together. I couldn't drag a file to a note. No desktop client is bad. The web version is very limited. Because there are already so many good note apps, I don't see why Google bothered. It would be better to allow the other apps to better integrate with the os. Google needs to keep their eye on the bigger picture.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones