• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why did they change the menu button?

Oh neato, we're talking about ethnicity and such. I kinda know a few things about that given my own background.

Taiwanese ppl back in the day, say 500 yrs ago could be called indigenous to the island, although they probably migrated over from China. Same with Japan, though that happened even earlier. You can tell by popular clothing of the time, architecture, and stuff like that when the migrations happened.

Anyhow, in more recent history, Japan occupied Taiwan for quite a while, so the gene pool got a good shuffling during this period. The indigenous language, Taiwanese remained, and it still has strong ties to dialects in Southern China nearest to the island, particularly Fujian province. That's obviously the point of migration back in the day.

There are tons of dialects in China. Some of them are more like accents, but they're called dialects anyway. As a Mandarin speaker, I can understand a lot of dialects, but some, like Taiwanese and Cantonese have evolved so much that I can't understand it. Some words are still the same, but most aren't.

The written language in any dialect is more or less the same. The reason for this is because China is so huge, and people tend to live in isolated groups. To communicate between groups, they used mail - written letters. The speech of each isolated group evolved independently over time, but the letters kept the writing consistent. Can't change the writing because you wouldn't be around to explain the change to the other side.

When the commies took over China, a lot of people who were loyal to the original gov't fled to Taiwan to avoid oppression. They promptly took over the gov't there, which really really pissed off the local people. Ever since, there have been tensions between Taiwanese and "mainlanders." Lots of descrimination and racism. Even though we all look alike to the westerners (heheh), I can usually tell if someone is Taiwanese or not. The gene pool shuffle I mentioned with Japan really helps. It goes both ways. People can tell your background by your genes, so they had basis to discriminate. Over time, the local Taiwanese reclaimed the government, and these days they are trying to emphasize that they had their own roots, and that their political philosphies are different from the mainland, so they should be recognized as an independent country.

Meanwhile, China was pretty much demoralized by the West when they demanded open trade... the opium wars, and the occupation of Hong Kong, etc., so they are especially sensitive to losing their territory. Which is why they cling to Taiwan as part of China. Same with Tibet. Don't want to get too much into the politics, since this really isn't the forum for it.

In modern Taiwan, their pop culture is most influenced by Japan, more so than neighboring Asian countries. Korea used to be the same, but they are starting to carve out their own identity as a big player. Well, at least the south is. The North is just.... sad. Many of S Korea's industries are now surpassing the quality of the Japanese. Taiwan is also making huge strides in technological advances. As a kid, I remember hearing my parents always cursing at the shittiness of things "Made in Taiwan." And they were right. Now they can't say that anymore. HTC is a great example. Hyundai and Samsung are good examples from Korea.

And that's why the home icon has been simplified (see? I was on topic the whole time).

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I was referring to what my friends always called hill people, I think that's - Taiwanese aborigines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whereas I think you were referring to the much more recent wave from China (500 years ago), whose dishes taste very different (such as palm tea, very smokey flavored).

Is that correct?

And do you think either of them would have objections to overhanging eaves and chimneys on a home icon?

What about apartment dwellers? Is the home icon condescending? But would people recognize a tall rectangle as the home key?

And if it is going to look like home plate but upside down, what will that do confuse people about baseball? :eek:

Upvote 0
I was referring to what my friends always called hill people, I think that's - Taiwanese aborigines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whereas I think you were referring to the much more recent wave from China (500 years ago), whose dishes taste very different (such as palm tea, very smokey flavored).

Is that correct?

I wrote what I did without doing any research verification. Looks like 500 years was a little off. The Han Chinese started major migrations to Taiwan 400 years ago. So I would consider any indigenous people living on the island before that to be of aboriginal descent.

And do you think either of them would have objections to overhanging eaves and chimneys on a home icon?

What about apartment dwellers? Is the home icon condescending? But would people recognize a tall rectangle as the home key?

And if it is going to look like home plate but upside down, what will that do confuse people about baseball? :eek:

Here's the chinese word for home:

家

notice how there is a roof that overhangs a bunch of "stuff" underneath. There's even a chimney. There really is no excuse for the up-side-down home plate. Although baseball is big in Taiwan, particularly the little leagues, the last decade has seen a decline in the sport's popularity mainly due to corruption.

I hope people don't read this thread hoping for real information.

Upvote 0
Here's the chinese word for home:

家

notice how there is a roof that overhangs a bunch of "stuff" underneath. There's even a chimney. There really is no excuse for the up-side-down home plate.

谢谢

我同意

Better stop there - I'm way rusty and wasn't any good to begin with. :)

(Thanks, I agree!)

Although baseball is big in Taiwan, particularly the little leagues, the last decade has seen a decline in the sport's popularity mainly due to corruption.

I hope people don't read this thread hoping for real information.

I disagree - who doesn't like first-hand information?

Especially when you've proven my point (see what I shamelessly did there?) - the new home icon is no good and sucky.

Upvote 0
Hmmm...guess I don't really look at what button I am pressing but do it based on touch.

Well - fortunately HTC gets it right: Home, Menu, Back, Search

Some phones are all whacked - Menu, Home, Back, Search - dumb layout, completely.

I'm looking forward to actually losing the menu word in favor of an icon, just for aesthetics, personally.

If they really want to improve the look of the phone - drop that freaking Sprint logo! :mad:

Reactions: lordofthereef
Upvote 0
wow, we're back on topic. wtf.

I've also noticed that the buttons are as sensitive as any other part of the touchscreen. While that may seem obvious, this ISN'T the case for at least 2 other Android phones:

Motorola Droid
Nexus One

For both of these phones, you have to press harder to trigger them. I really wish HTC would incorporate this into the buttons. I accidentally hit the two corner buttons by accident a lot. And other people who borrow my phone bump them a lot as well. With a bit more resistance, it would be a non-issue.

I know I'm not the only one. Calkulin has a zip that disables the search button for this very reason. The accident to usefulness ratio is way too high.

Upvote 0
Oh - then you'll like how the idea of Chinese writing fits here - maybe it's just me - but I've always viewed that writing as 3D - they often seem to indicate depth. Try to imagine what that stuff is below the roof on novox77's earlier picture of a house - imagine that that stuff includes depth perspective. What do you see?

And action, now that I think of it.

First time I was on an elevator and needed to quickly hold the door open (I was next to the control panel), people got panicky because they could tell I was language-challenged - but the writing for holding the door open and for closing it actually implied the actions of doors opening or closing, so I nailed it immediately.

The word for doors (according to my translator) is -

門

and that looks like two swinging doors. ;)

The actual writing in the elevators, as I recall, is somewhat different - but the one to open had them apart.

OK - that settles it for me. Enough with the nuevo icons - I think I want Chinese on my E3D buttons, because they indicate depth and action, and plus I think we'd all be better off. :)

Well - some of us would have fun, anyway, if nothing else. :D

Upvote 0
Well - fortunately HTC gets it right: Home, Menu, Back, Search

Some phones are all whacked - Menu, Home, Back, Search - dumb layout, completely.

I'm looking forward to actually losing the menu word in favor of an icon, just for aesthetics, personally.

If they really want to improve the look of the phone - drop that freaking Sprint logo! :mad:
At least these phones have four buttons :mad:
My Blade only has 3, missing a Search button
I'd also like an End Call & Call keys at the bottom too

And Fast Forward, Rewind, Pause keys at the side

And a trackpad at top

And extra buttons at top

And a slide out keyboard

That's interchangable

With a Gaming Pad

Or Touch Screen

Or Speakers

*sigh*

Upvote 0
At least these phones have four buttons :mad:
My Blade only has 3, missing a Search button
I'd also like an End Call & Call keys at the bottom too

And Fast Forward, Rewind, Pause keys at the side

And a trackpad at top

And extra buttons at top

And a slide out keyboard

That's interchangable

With a Gaming Pad

Or Touch Screen

Or Speakers

*sigh*
Damn son. That would be one busy phone. I'd have to go through something as strenuous as flight school just to learn how to send a text I think! :eek:

Reactions: ElasticNinja
Upvote 0
Here you go, the Evo 9000G. This is what it looks like once it has transformed into a jet.

U-2S_cockpit_m02006112700139.jpg

Upvote 0
i never really liked the "menu" button.. only one with letters.. others are icons. now it is balanced...

this is probably the reason they changed it. which is why the debate really gravitated toward why it was important to remove the chimney and roof overhang from a design/aesthetic consideration.

I'm also curious if the magnifying glass changed much. Is the handle still thicker? does the ring close all the way? Or is there still a little gap there?

(lots of sarcasm in this post. please don't take it seriously)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones