• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why did you buy the Amazon Fire Phone?

Rob

Galaxy S20 Ultra
News Moderator
Administrator
  • Mar 26, 2008
    androidforums.com
    The Amazon Fire Phone isn't being hailed as a phone with the most killer specs in the world... but it does have some neat features, it comes with a Amazon Prime (which some would say pays for itself), and is packaged as a pretty great device for the average user (not necessarily power users).

Curious why you decided to (or not to) buy the Fire Phone? Is it for yourself or a family member? What do you like most about it? I'd consider getting this for my mom and I know people are "dissing" it as a mom phone, but I don't see anything wrong with that either... I think it's great to have different devices that target different use cases.

Reactions: OlgaX
    Curious why you decided to (or not to) buy the Fire Phone?

This phone has three killer reasons against it in my opinion.
    1. No Google Play store so you have to repurchase Apps through Amazon.
    2. Heavily modified, locked, and stripped (or dumbed)down version of Android.
    3. Your still going to pay data charges for Amazon Prime streamed with this phone.

Upvote 0
    Hi there, and sorry Rob, not trying to be too confusing with my username, but my name is also... Rob. I didn't notice you were the owner of the site til I was registered and making this comment.

My wife lost her Windows phone a Nokia 920, she got when it first came out after an iphone she and I had both had. My newish and only android OS tablet ever had just bitten the dust. I was up for a new contract with AT&T, and just had my iPhone 5 replaced under warranty through the Apple store, and then unlocked by AT&T.

Then 2 days later I had hear this new 3Dish phone was coming out from Amazon this week. I watched the Keynote all the way through, and was impressed with the speed of the phone. They are doing exactly what Apple has done with the "extra cycles". Make cool wizbang graphics.

They do it differently. It is not very well explained. It works just like in the demo. It is not "normal" yet.

Sounds a lot like the iphone launch.

I like the phone. It is not the fastest, it is not the smallest, nor biggest. I don't know if it will ever be rooted, but that's why I am here partly. It has a beautiful screen even having come from RetinaDisplayLand.

It's main drawbacks are it's incompatibility with anything that requires the google libraries to be on the phone, and if you start installing Google branded stuff on it from oh, say 1mobile store, bad things can happen, like the music app stopped working at all for me. By the way after turning on non amazon app purchases, sideloading is just downloading as far as I can tell.

The interface once in an android app, it reverts back to mostly android behaviors such as having a menu, or back arrow at the bottom of the screen. If the phone is in an Amazon app, a swipe up is the back button.

That is one of many borrowed interface elements in the phone. Some things I have had trouble figuring out. The first problem was that a screen protector installed by ATT made the phone think it was still in your pocket when trying to turn it on, so would flash real quick, and by the way, that is how I got introduced to Mayday.

Mayday asked if there was a screen protector, and I made them check everything else first before I took it off, and sure enough, the proximity sensor was being blocked by the protector. They knew of the problem, ATT didn't, and we got the protectors returned. IT went pretty smooth, but that was after a long 4 hours in the store when buying them. Nice. But long wait various reasons, some our fault some their new systems.

ATT is pushing their new alarm system, and a new protection plan that includes up to 6 claims a year for 29.99 a month, or 9.99, or 6.99. The $10 plan is the one we got, cause there is no other way to have a find my iphone/android device manager locator service on the phone without something like cerberus. That it includes protection against loss and theft with an up to $200 deductible, and the $29.99 one though limited to 6 uses a year, includes the same deal on any electronics device you have a receipt for including a MacBook Pro as described by the Manager of the store.

It sounds too good to be true, and must have a catch somewhere, but we will see how long they offer it.

The Amazon phone, is really a nice user experiance. Like in a good 3D movie, it is not a constant yoyo effect. The lock screen is the eye candy, and once you start using the interface you barley notice it... until you peek. Peeking is what they call turning the phone side to side slowly. It is a way to do things like fade in the menu bar and see if the app icon is shiney sharp and 3d, or blurry and almost 2d. That will tell you if it is an amazon or a android app.

Amazon apps, though needing to be updated for the 3d effect, use layering to do most of it, so you get a lot of text that is 3d on a flat color, and the effect is not unpleasant.

It is also a pleasure to see so much freedom in the ability to connect to your computer and drop mp3s into a folder again. Ahh youthful bliss. But I had to right click in itunes and show in windows explorer, and then drag and drop, not too hard, I do wish Apple would open up itunes a bit to other players. No fees.

If you are worried about some stuff, you should be. It will not run chrome well. You can log in to sites from google, and google search looks much better than in the default silk browser, but the google services being absent, makes looking in and adding chrome to the others you sync with is impossible and results in an error that crashes and reloaded chrome every time I tried.

It is not JUST a reskinned android interface, it is a good phone. The speakerphone works reasonably, and the case is a little... plain black and square, maybe even a bit unimaginative. But when was the last time you actually used a phone without a case? This is really perfect. It allows you to put any case they make for it, and there do need to be more of those, and the one I am going to buy as soon as it comes out is the one with the extended battery. Hopefully something comes out soon. This thing sucks juice bad. I read one review where he said, it went down from a full charge to 61% in an hour. That seems a fair assessment. I will have to turn off the eye candy... sorry, dynamic perspective, and see how much difference it makes. I also wish the 4 extra cameras were more of an active part of the interface. I grew up playing Simon.. Beep boop buuuurrrrrrrrrbbb Red blue... you get the picture. I would love if tapping those very visible camera spots would do something useful.

I thought at one point that waving my hand down over the screen in good light was making the top menu drop down, for things like bluetooth and wireless, and airplane mode. I can't get it to do that now. Maybe I was imagining things. The thing am not imagining is the difficultly I have been having flicking my wrist the way they want me too in order to get the leaf style menus to come out from the left and right of the screen. It really needs a feedback practice app so people can get the muscle memory down pat.

Over all it is a little bit this, a little bit that, and all pretty smoothly integrated. I would love root on it, but it is not mandatory nor immediately necessary for most people. It does run a little warm. There are a lot of options in the menus, and the descriptive preferences settings are annoying for me a bit, cause I usually know what I am looking for, say Displays--> Brightness, on most systems becomes an item with a drop down list with "Display" and Adjust Screen Brightness, Turn off automatic screen rotation and others, all fully spelled out. It is kinda nice, then you click on it, and it goes to basically, the same screen, but with all of the traditional lingo and layout there. I want to go to that menu directly one way or another please. I have not yet found a way to do so.

I like the phone. I will be keeping it unless anything major happens with it. I had to reset it after I borked the Music app, and it came right back up twith a backup already saved to the "cloud". Thanks for reading. Will edit later. Bed.

Upvote 0

Actually, I don't think it was a fair review. All comments were based on how it's "not like android". It was never supposed to BE android, or iPhone. He wanted it to operate like android and admitted that. While I get that, it's not fair..because that wasn't the intended product. With the exception of time spent on "firefly" (which needs work, obviously) all his time was spent spinning the carousel over and over. No focus on video, speakers, photos, speed of browser UI. None of that. He didn't like it before he bought it and it showed.

Reactions: xman95
    Upvote 0
    Actually, I don't think it was a fair review. All comments were based on how it's "not like android"

In a way your right, I don't know why Android sites are even covering it but they are, and they are going to compare it to other similarly priced Android phones.

On one hand it runs a heavily customized and locked down version of Android 4.2 and runs the Android apps Amazon allows it to run.

On the other hand Google play and all Google services Android users expect are locked out so it's really not a android phone at all, and that's the main point people spending $600 on this thing needs to fully understand.

Upvote 0
    My Fire Phone story:

Last weekend we went to the at&t store so my wife could get the 200 dollar trade in for her old iphone. While we waited I was playing with the Amazon phone with my daughter and I found myself kind of liking the phone - then I remembered that they just went to 99 cents with a 2 year contract. SOLD! :D

I upgraded from a Nokia Lumia 900 Windows Phone which I really loved that was starting to have a few minor issues. I was looking at a Lumia 1520 but at 6 inches I sort of felt like I would look like a doofus making a call on that thing even though it's a beautiful piece of hardware - and let's face it, do I really want to give my wife and daughter easy ammunition to make fun of me with? Nope. :)

The Fire Phone kind of hit's that sweet spot for me. It's 4.7 inches which is bigger than my previous phone size of 4.3, it's got much higher end specs overall, and I am already deeply entrenched in the Amazon ecosystem anyway. I already had a Prime Membership and a Kindle Fire HD and a Kindle Reader so why not a Fire phone too?

Regardless, I really like the phone. It meets my individual needs just fine and the apps that are available are for the most part really great. It sucks that it's locked down and that there is no access to Google but I figure it's going to be jailbroken soon enough anyway so I can wait. Overall, I think it's a solid, capable phone - especially so if you already have a Amazon device and/or utilize their Amazon Prime services.

Oh, first post by the way! Your welcome. I am sure it's gonna change some lives! :)

Upvote 0
    I actually looked into the firephone because it looked like a decent piece of hardware. The reason I chose to look elsewhere was the stats and a lot of reviews from c-net and a few other cell sites. After hearing about some of its lag and bug issues, I think I'll wait for a second or third gen to come out so I know some of the things will be fixed.

Aside from that, I was never a fan of Amazon. I was pretty much looking into the phone so I may take a little step into that world and see what it's about.

Upvote 0
    It just don't appeal to me. It wasn't even one of the phones that I considered with an upgrade for me very imminent. I, however, am curious like you as why people would buy this phone. I can that it would make a great phone for someone who isn't technology savvy.

Well I have been a Prime Member for 2 years, and my renewal was up for Dec 3

With this weeks Firesale @ $199 I figured it's a no brainier (Amazon was going to take $99 in 2 weeks) I might as well add another $112 to it and get the Phone.

We switched to the AT&T Family Value Plan this year and no longer get the subsidized priced phone's from AT&T. So I'm buying phones through eBay as needed or using the AT&T Next program to get new phones. Getting this for $112 just made sense.

Now on to the Good news .. it's Rootable with Towelroot and theirs a tutorial to get the Play store working on it @ XDA.

Links:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OC0USA6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-phone/general/guide-make-fireos-looks-feel-normal-t2898921

http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-phone/general/guide-disabling-auto-updates-fire-phone-t2930319

http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-phone/general/list-available-downloads-regarding-fire-t2900276

http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-phone/general/playstore-conflicts-rooted-device-t2878384

Upvote 0
    Hello!

I've been a technology geek for many years. My "geekness" was mostly about mobile phones. I've had all the possible mobile phones in the world. I've also been an Android girl for 4 years now. When I heard about Amazon Fire phone, I knew I would have to buy it. And I did! This is not my primary phone (I use to mainly for tests) but I really love it.

Here's what makes it great in my opinion:
    - perfect build (with rubbery edges)
    - ideal size (not too big, not too small) and weight (you can feel it in your pocket)
    - the screen is awesome (much better than in my "daily" Xperia Z3 Compact)
    - Fire OS is very easy to use and intuitive (there are a few exceptions though)
    - it's something new and completely different than all other smartphones
    - ideal integration with Amazon and its services
    - most of Android apps work on Fire phone

A few drawbacks:
    - fans of Google services and apps (like Google Maps, Gmail or Google Play) will be disappointed because Fire phone doesn't support them
    - Amazon ships Fire phone only to the US so unless you live in the US or some someone there they won't ship it to you. I guess that will change soon.

As a phone geek and app tester I had really lots of fun playing with this phone. Finally, I decided to create a website about Fire phone where I put all of my discoveries, conslusions and pieces of advice about Fire phone becase I saw that really many people are confused about this phone (and thousands of different opinions about it circulating the net).

Hope it helps future Fire phone owners make the right choice!

Regards,
    Olga

Upvote 0
    This phone has three killer reasons against it in my opinion.
    1. No Google Play store so you have to repurchase Apps through Amazon.
    2. Heavily modified, locked, and stripped (or dumbed)down version of Android.
    3. Your still going to pay data charges for Amazon Prime streamed with this phone.

Those are my arguments FOR the phone. If I had the money, I'd have purchased an iPhone 6 simply because I'm NOT a tech geek. No way I had that kind of capital to spend on a phone though. I liked my old iPhone 4s BECAUSE it was easy to use. The geek stuff was out there if you wanted it, but it was super simple to use. I HATE the Android operating system, it was cumbersome and crash happy on both my LG and my wife's Samsung. I will miss google maps, but that's about it. When I read that most of the people didn't like it simply because it wasn't as versatile (you see versatile, I see complicated) I HAD to give it a try. A free year of Prime TOO? For me, a no-brainer.

So far, the Fire Phone has been VERY easy for me to figure out, reasonably intuitive (far more than my LG EVER was) and frankly, dumbing down Android was the smartest thing they could have done. My plan has unlimited data, and when at home, it's on wifi. It seems well built, even has half decent sound. I'm not a big APPs guy, but the Amazon Appstore has pretty much everything I'll ever need.

The other thing that convinced me, is that I have a Kindle. It's 1st generation, still works perfectly. I have no idea how old it is, but I've been through 4 phones in that time. That's pretty reliable.

My only wish is that it would integrate better with my Mac. C'est La Vie

I like it so far. I like it a LOT.

Upvote 0
    I love the phone. Side loaded Google play services and hangout is running perfectly. I didn't bother with anything else. It has a good email app and calendar both sync nicely with my Google info. The map program so far works well. My phone was 140 shipped and extended my prime for one year. I put the phone on tracfone and can't get over how far tracfone has come. Camera works well. I have a hard time finding flaws. You do have to turn off a bunch of Amazon apps that want to use your mobile data. Battery life is fantastic.

Upvote 0
    The Amazon Fire Phone isn't being hailed as a phone with the most killer specs in the world... but it does have some neat features, it comes with a Amazon Prime (which some would say pays for itself), and is packaged as a pretty great device for the average user (not necessarily power users).

Curious why you decided to (or not to) buy the Fire Phone? Is it for yourself or a family member? What do you like most about it? I'd consider getting this for my mom and I know people are "dissing" it as a mom phone, but I don't see anything wrong with that either... I think it's great to have different devices that target different use cases.
    It is now 2016 June 3 and I just purchased the fire phone updated to the latest software then down loaded the play store...the verdict for this device has changed..the out come???? Awesome. Everything works..google now, 4 square, facebook. This device works better then any 2016 device. Never slows down, does not freeze. I love this phone in 2016

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones