• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

why did you choose android?

I choose android because i've been hearing about it and a co-worker had the G1 so i saw it action but what really got me was when i saw the euro-hero not many like that chin design but i did cause it was different, and then i heard sprint was getting it and i was looking forward to it,my old phone was the Instinct and that was my first feature phone not many like it but i did at the time but anyway the hero finally came to sprint and the design was different than the euro version but i still like it and its the best phone i ever have and still do.

Upvote 0
I am a longtime Sprint customer. I passed on the Pre, just didn't like the phone and wasn't sure if I wasn't going to invest in PalmOS. I was coming from a blackberry and was pretty disappointed with the web/app experience. I knew the next phone would be one I could invest in over the long haul - mostly apps.

When the Evo hit, it was too good to be true - Sprint, my gmail/google apps.

Upvote 0
I thought Google had done such a good job with things like search/mail/maps/translate that I'd give them a chance after many years with Nokia, the N97/900 just not being quite good enough, and the E92 being too old. The only other contender was the iPhone3GS, but that lost out on cost, as I was buying the handset rather than getting a contract; the Hero was ~

Upvote 0
I literally got super bored with iOS... You could only customize the lock screen???? How lame is that! When I saw the Droid and the N1 and all it could do, I knew my next phone would be an Android... Almost got an iPhone4 but the EVO came out and it was an EASY decision for me.... I actually found out about the EVO by accident while looking into the Droid and N1...

Upvote 0
Did you choose andriod because you liked the phone which came with android. Did you like android and decided to get an android phone?
Five words... the developer and user communities.

I just hope that the quality of the devices can catch up and keep in pace with the rapid growth of the Android development. As of now, many of the Android phones still have below-par finish.

Upvote 0
I had the original iPhone since release day, then I had a jailbroken iPhone 3GS. I was tired of Apple's control over everything and wanted to move to something else. When the original Droid came out that is when I felt like someone had finally caught up with apple so I jumped on it. With the openness of android and a good feeling about what Google was building I felt like it was the right choice. Now I have a Droid X and have converted the rest of my family to Android, and we are all very happy with our phones.

Upvote 0
Five words... the developer and user communities.

I just hope that the quality of the devices can catch up and keep in pace with the rapid growth of the Android development. As of now, many of the Android phones still have below-par finish.

There are phones with sub par finishes because there is a market for low to mid level phones for people that don't want to pay for a high end device. That market is always going to be there but if you want a great phone there are definitely options.

Upvote 0
I am a longtime Sprint customer. I passed on the Pre, just didn't like the phone and wasn't sure if I wasn't going to invest in PalmOS. I was coming from a blackberry and was pretty disappointed with the web/app experience. I knew the next phone would be one I could invest in over the long haul - mostly apps.

When the Evo hit, it was too good to be true - Sprint, my gmail/google apps.

Just wanted to point out the the Pre and Pixi both run WebOS. PalmOS was their older OS that ran on the Treo, etc.

Upvote 0
well since i saw the nexus i was wonder wtf is android
looked up alot of thing
then had a craze :D
best cheap android phone on rogers was spica so i got that
sooooo happy i didnt get a blackberry
also i wanted something that noboddy has
i mean everywhere i go i see iphoens and blackberrys
be unique ;)
also
FREEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOM
well 3/4 freedom
when rooted
FREEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOM

Upvote 0
I went with an android phone because I didn't like the Iphone, period. Especially since you couldn't swap out batteries on an Iphone easily like most other phones on the market. I knew I would be using much of a smartphone's capability so having the ability to swap out batteries quickly made my decision going with an android phone a no brainer. Everything else that an android phone offered was gravy to me after that.

Upvote 0
I initially liked the look and feel of the HTC magic. After getting it and started to learn about Android, I fell in love with it. I was so pumped about all the upcoming updates and then got disappointed with Roger's support, I went out and splurged on a N1 so I can always be up to date on the best if android.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to point out the the Pre and Pixi both run WebOS. PalmOS was their older OS that ran on the Treo, etc.
Ha, you're right of course, WebOS. I really liked the card system, but wasn't sold on the hardware. And while I was sold on WebOS, I wasn't sure it would catch on. While I love sprint, I had no delusions that the Palm Pre/WebOS was going to bring in flocks of customers. It's a shame, too, WebOS has an excellent foundation, but it's already fallen behind in the smartphone race. It'll most likely remain proprietary under HP, too, further worsening it's chances for widespread adoption and app support.

Upvote 0
Ha, you're right of course, WebOS. I really liked the card system, but wasn't sold on the hardware. And while I was sold on WebOS, I wasn't sure it would catch on. While I love sprint, I had no delusions that the Palm Pre/WebOS was going to bring in flocks of customers. It's a shame, too, WebOS has an excellent foundation, but it's already fallen behind in the smartphone race. It'll most likely remain proprietary under HP, too, further worsening it's chances for widespread adoption and app support.

I couldn't agree more. WebOS is pretty amazing, but there's not enough support behind it from Devs, and Palm didn't have the money to really push it but hopefully HP will throw some more money at it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones