• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why did you choose the slide?

Robinelli

Android Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2010
U.S.
I am just curious with all of the many android (and iphone) phones out on the market now, what made you choose the slide?

I chose this phone b/c I have a family plan with TMobile that seems to be the cheapest around for unlimited everything (Even more plus no contract plan). I wanted to keep that plan so my top choices were this or Nexus One. I didn't want to get a Nexus One without ever seeing one or holding one. I went to the store and liked the Mytouch so I bought it.

I actually don't use the slide out keyboard and don't like the extra weight of it, but other than that I LOVE THIS FRIGGIN PHONE! The more I've been reading about other phones since I got this one, the more I love it. I saw a Nexus One yesterday and thought it was pretty cool, and I started looking up the info on it today and I have to say, after reading the reviews on CNet, I am feeling even better about my choice to get this phone. It may not have the highest resolution or biggest processor, but overall it just seems to WORK well and FAST! I think perhaps this phone is a lot better than anyone realizes yet!

My family has been with T-mobile for many years...I got the phone on ebay because I wanted to experience this whole Android thing and wasn't sure if I wanted to get involved in a contract. I've been using an unlocked iPhone 3g before and just got tired of all the restrictions, slow internet, and the limitation I have towards updating software/apps. I was planning to switch to Verizon for their Incredible, but the numbers didn't add up well since I use about 200 whenever minutes and about 900 or so T-mobile minutes..so the 500 EM+ plan seems perfect since i've been out of contract.

I also rarely use the slide out keyboard thank to Swype...possibly the best feature about this phone...so far i'm loving it all (beside the battery issue)

Upvote 0
The biggest reason I chose the Slide was for the keyboard, but the rest of the hardware had to be up to decent spec too. If it hadn't gotten great reviews from multiple sites I would still have passed. Good thing since I've found myself using Swype almost exclusively now...
facepalmf.gif

Upvote 0
New user here, just wanted to leave some input.

I was originally with Sprint via the Sero plan, but needed to find a better alternative since they were phasing out that program and not allowing any new phones to it. Found out my family had a family plan and after a bit of price comparison ($5-$10/mo diff), I decided to jump ship. I originally wanted to unlock the iPhone and use it on this plan but I've always been partial to slide out keyboards and wanted to try out the Android platform so I picked the slide.

So far, I love it but it's still stock and I haven't rooted the phone yet. I'm hoping for a whole new beautiful world after this and I am going to thank all the forum contributors in advance for their guidance towards this. :D

Upvote 0
I was lucky enough to get the myTouch slide for free with the Father's day promotion.

Not too long ago I graduated from college, got a full time job, got married, and moved to Phoenix (how's that for life changing events all within a few months?) and I wanted to get off of my family's basic Cellcom plan and get an android phone. (Cellcom is a small Wisconsin cell phone company - but good nationwide coverage on our family plan.) So, I looked at the different phone carriers and the different phones and realized that T-Mobile seemed to have the cheapest plans, and it turned out that my wife was already on a T-Mobile family plan with her sister.

I looked into getting the Nexus One and adding on to the family plan, but they have an older plan and the T-Mobile people said that phone wouldn't work with that plan (I think they just meant that I couldn't get the phone at the discounted price and also be on the plan ... It was hard to get info from the T-Mobile people myself since I was not an authorized person on the plan yet.)

I heard a rumor about T-Mobile's free phone deal for Father's Day and decided that would be a good way to get a phone, so I looked T-Mobile's android phones and this one was the best one they had in the stores (sorry N1). So I added on to my wife's family plan and got the phone during the week before Father's day and came back the Saturday of the deal to get the phone 'free' (pay $100 then get a $100 mail in rebate).

And, I can't complain about the phone. It has treated me well so far. At first I wasn't excited about the extra weight of the slide-out keyboard, but it has turned out to be really nice to have (especially when emulating some of my old Nintendo games). And with the promise of the 2.2 update coming "soon," I hope this phone will be much more awesome.

Upvote 0
I was lucky enough to get the myTouch slide for free with the Father's day promotion.

Not too long ago I graduated from college, got a full time job, got married, and moved to Phoenix (how's that for life changing events all within a few months?) and I wanted to get off of my family's basic Cellcom plan and get an android phone. (Cellcom is a small Wisconsin cell phone company - but good nationwide coverage on our family plan.) So, I looked at the different phone carriers and the different phones and realized that T-Mobile seemed to have the cheapest plans, and it turned out that my wife was already on a T-Mobile family plan with her sister.

I looked into getting the Nexus One and adding on to the family plan, but they have an older plan and the T-Mobile people said that phone wouldn't work with that plan (I think they just meant that I couldn't get the phone at the discounted price and also be on the plan ... It was hard to get info from the T-Mobile people myself since I was not an authorized person on the plan yet.)

I heard a rumor about T-Mobile's free phone deal for Father's Day and decided that would be a good way to get a phone, so I looked T-Mobile's android phones and this one was the best one they had in the stores (sorry N1). So I added on to my wife's family plan and got the phone during the week before Father's day and came back the Saturday of the deal to get the phone 'free' (pay $100 then get a $100 mail in rebate).

And, I can't complain about the phone. It has treated me well so far. At first I wasn't excited about the extra weight of the slide-out keyboard, but it has turned out to be really nice to have (especially when emulating some of my old Nintendo games). And with the promise of the 2.2 update coming "soon," I hope this phone will be much more awesome.
DANG, I didn't know about this Father's Day deal.. I bought my phone a week or so before Father's day.

Upvote 0
I have always like the myTouch form factor (looks and feel) but was just waiting for a better version. When I heard of the Slide, I suspected I would really want it (which I did). I considered the Nexus but totally didn't like the whole marketing approach to it AND I thought it was relatively unatttractive. Yes, I want my phone to run well, but looks really do count for something. Since having this phone now since the great Father's Day give-away, I have found a boatload of things to love about it, way more than I had counted on with only one flaw (which can be and will be corrected in the near future - that of syncing). Below is list of all the great things I like about this phone:

1. Looks and feel in the hand (nothing else feels as good)
2. Genious button - learning to use it more and more
3. Excellent keyboard
4. Swype - again excellent
5. 5-7 Home screens
6. Social networking integration (fixing sync issue would help this be better)
7. Faves (again, sync fix would vastly improve this feature)
8. Camera and music player

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones