1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Why do Andorid phones get stuck in a year or two?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Branda Lus, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Branda Lus

Branda Lus Lurker

First of all, I am not the iPhone user.

I used five Android phones in the past years and all of them became very sluggish.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Just a guess, but you might have experienced bit rot possibly? Although I've never had slowdowns myself with Android devices.

BTW since you mentioned iPhone. It's been well documented that Apple deliberately slowed down some iPhones, and in fact were sued and had to pay compensation.

puppykickr, MrJavi, svim and 3 others like this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

I use my android phones for 3-5 years each and have never experienced this.

svim, MoodyBlues, tube517 and 3 others like this.
  4. It depends on the phone brand.
    (Based on my own experience): lg and samsung will be sluggish with time (and samsung is the leading brand in sluggishness). However, there are really good brands supporting android out there including: sony(the best), huawei, and asus.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  5. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

If ever you notice it getting sluggish, just do a factory reset and watch it perform like a brand new phone.
    Backup your documents, photos and videos first...

MrJavi, MoodyBlues, tube517 and 2 others like this.
  6. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

i have owned all of the note series since the note 4, and i have never experienced any slow down or performance issues. it also will depend on specs. as software improves so does the need for better specs to run the updates. android 10 could not run on earlier devices without showing some performance issues. if the memory is less than 2 gigs, then it will slow down considerably....especially after major android os updates.

7. ****thanks for your note, i meant all the samsung devices Except note series (starting from note3) cuz i owned note2 and its performance (after a year and half) is exactly like ace2.

8. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Yet my daughter's S8 has no lag problems even in its third year. And I know she isn't regularly resetting or even cache cleaning.

tube517 and Dannydet like this.
  9. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

To labor intensive @Dannydet.
    Soft Reset is the way to go.

puppykickr likes this.
  10. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Soft reset is good for short term but a factory reset once a year even, keeps the phone "fresh" as alot of junk builds up in these phones.

As far as the OP, what type of phone do you have? Also, if you use cleaning apps or anti virus apps these could make the phone sluggish

dontpanicbobby and MrJavi like this.
  11. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Yep, my wife has her 3 year old S8+ and it is very smooth and she won't be getting a new phone anytime soon.

MrJavi likes this.
  12. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

Welcome to Android Forums, Branda Lus! :)
    Can you expand on that a little? For example, which phones you had, which Android versions you were using, how you typically use your phone--like taking a lot of photos, or downloading large images, and so on. That might help us sort things out.

Personally, in my decade of using Android, I've never seen what you're describing. Like Hadron, I typically use my devices for 3+ years--right now, in addition to my daily-driver, a Moto Z² Force Edition, I also use my 5-year-old Moto X 2nd Generation and my 7-year-old Kindle Fire HD 8.9" [which I turned into a true Android tablet by rooting it]. Neither has ever been, or needed to be, factory reset due to sluggishness. So your experience is not at all like mine!

By the way, even if you were an iPhone user, you'd still be welcome here. :D

dontpanicbobby, tube517 and MrJavi like this.