• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why do i have these crazy internet lag spikes?

ctell88

Lurker
Aug 4, 2010
So whenever i play starcraft 2 or street fighter 4 on my pc. I get 60fps on SF2. i sometimes get these nasty lag spikes. I know its not my internet bandwidth or graphics card (gtx470). Can it be my CPU (AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2), my memory ddr2 pc-6400, or my power supply (500w). I have Charter cable 5MB internet. Thanks in advance

How do you know that it is not your internet connection? When I used to have cable internet I would have constant drop outs and lag spike while gaming that were not noticeable when just normally surfing the web. I was told at the time that it was related to the ancient wiring on my street that would not be replaced unless more people complained. No one else complained, so I got a new ISP.

Upvote 0
The fps doesnt drop. It is sometimes a connection loss and i drop out of the game.

@supersix I'm hoping its not my internet connection. I look right at my moden when the spike happens and the lights stay normal the whole time. It never lagged on me when I played diablo II and warcraft 3 online.

Upvote 0
The fps doesnt drop. It is sometimes a connection loss and i drop out of the game.

@supersix I'm hoping its not my internet connection. I look right at my moden when the spike happens and the lights stay normal the whole time. It never lagged on me when I played diablo II and warcraft 3 online.
Im puzzled in your OP you say its not your connection. But this post and your thread title almost suggest other wise. In your OP your mention you have a 500w PSU. Im just wondering if that is contributing to the problem. Thats a tad on the low side for that total package you have especially the 470

Upvote 0
How do you know that it is not your internet connection? When I used to have cable internet I would have constant drop outs and lag spike while gaming that were not noticeable when just normally surfing the web. I was told at the time that it was related to the ancient wiring on my street that would not be replaced unless more people complained. No one else complained, so I got a new ISP.

I have the same problem as OP, and this sounds very plausible for my situation. Maybe it's time to start looking at DSL..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones