1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Why do I Need a Top of the Line Phone?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Girevik, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Girevik

Girevik Android Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2010
    Computer Geek
    Columbus, OH
    I hope this question doesn't come of snarky, that's definitely not my intent.

Until recently I always had a fairly nice phone. That is until my LG G3 started having issues with almost a year to go before I'm eligible for an upgrade. What I decided to do was buy a cheap ZTE Max 2 hoping to get me through the interim. I totally realize that this is not as powerful a phone as my G3, but at about 1/6th the price it got me thinking. What types of things would I need to be doing before I really noticed a difference in performance?

My geeky "want the cool tech" side of me is at war with the Scottish heritage "don't spend a dime you don't have to" side of me and I'm wondering when I am eligible if I should go back to the latest and greatest or is this route good enough. Especially since I could upgrade much more often and still save money.

Advertisement

dynomot, AZgl1500 and psionandy like this.
  2. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    What about a middle ground? Instead of buying the cheapest or the newest, buy a year old flagship. It'll still be just as good of a phone as it always was but they usually get pretty reasonable in price once the next year's model gets released.

dynomot, KOLIO, Ardaz87 and 9 others like this.
  3. Girevik

Dec 18, 2010
    Computer Geek
    Columbus, OH
    A valid option, but I have the same question. What types of things would I need to be doing on in order to notice a performance issue with one and not the other? I know part of the appeal of the newest is that it will be a longer period of time before the aps catch up to the hardware and start using more resources, but that's less of a concern if an upgrade is $100 rather than $600.

I guess is what I'm getting at is what types of things would I need to be trying to do that will make me say "dang, I wish I had my G3 back"?

4. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    if all you are doing is using it as a 'Can and String', the simplest Flip Phone will do the job for you quite nicely.

I have many friends who just buy a PrePaid flip phone and tell the world "go to hell"...

5. Girevik

Dec 18, 2010
    Computer Geek
    Columbus, OH
    No, I love my Android. I use it for mail, navigation, web surfing, a few games, etc. I definitely don't want to go back to 2002. I'm just wondering what level device I really NEED vs. what is really cool and I want to have.

6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

Gaming. I have a 2 year old Note 2. Still going strong. I honestly don't really NEED a newer phone. I got it as a previous flagship (Note 3 already available at that time) because for the same price I got the Note 2 + a Galaxy Tab 4 7.0, as opposed to the Note 3 alone.

The only thing I notice, apart from the obvious fact that stuff happen faster on newer phones (faster focus, faster loading of apps, faster saving and opening of previews on pictures), is that there may be some issues on really intensive games, like Dungeon Hunter 4. But if you go middling gamea like Clash of Clans, no real problems.

Heck the only reason I'm looking at the S7 Edge for the end of my contract in May is the dual sim on a bigger battery and water resist body. If it wasn't dual sim (as available in my country) I wouldn't even be considering it. Heck if we boil it down further, the only reason I want a new phone is that I want my work number and personal number in a single device. Carrying two phones and a tablet is getting tedious.

psionandy likes this.
  7. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    What type of things do you do at the moment?

Just comparing their specs, the ZTE has a lower-res (720p vs TrueHD) display with almost half the pixel density of the LG, a less-capable SOC, inferior camera (both still and video), doesn't support 802.11ac wifi, and is restricted to 64GB microSD cards. Would you miss any of these features?

8. Girevik

Dec 18, 2010
    Computer Geek
    Columbus, OH
    I know the camera isn't the greatest, which will be a bummer (but if I don't try to sell my G3 I can still use it for pictures when I don't want to lug around my DSLR). Right now I have a 32gb SD card so am good there. I'm more wondering about the processing speed and where that actually causes a noticeable difference.

I realize that as I use it over time prior to my next upgrade I'll get a feel for if it works for me or not. I'm just curious about what types of activities would be most likely.

As for what I do now, I guess it's kind of the general stuff. Yahoo mail, GPS navigation, web browsing, listening to podcasts and music, Facebook, games like Clash of Clans and Candy Crush (I'll have to check out that Dungeon Hunter). Occasionally I'll watch a video or stream a ball game, but that's not very often.

9. Jhayzone

Jhayzone Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 21, 2015
    You don't really need it aside from, well, cool points I guess. I'm a heavy gamer on my android phone to the point that I rarely play games on my desktop anymore mostly because I'm usually on the move and there are just more new content on android compared to PSP and Vita this days. I have plenty of games but just to list a few graphic intensive ones I can play Pylon, DH 4, Asphalt 8, I Gladiator, NoH: Exodus and Ire: Blood Memory smoothly on a 100$ phone

People do have different needs to their smartphones, I'm a gamer and phones of yesterday is still usable because game's demand on hardware isn't progressing as fast as the hardware that manufacturers are putting inside this little machines(on my case, I got an octa-core phone with 4kmah battery for a cheap price which is all I need for playing games on the move) but for people who wants better camera then of course they'll always be on the lookout for a smartphone with a better camera specially since the industry seems like leaning on improving the camera quality of smartphones.

My real 2cent is that if you really want the latest and greatest and can really afford it then go ahead and pick one but if you're on a tight budget but really need a decent phone then go take a look on older flagships like the ones from 2013 and 2014 since they still pack a punch even if they're dated.

#9 Jhayzone, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  10. Girevik

Dec 18, 2010
    Computer Geek
    Columbus, OH
    Totally agree. That's why I said I hoped I didn't come across as "snarky" in my original post. I don't want to seem like I'm judging anyone who needs (or even just wants) the latest and greatest hardware. I'm just wondering what level I should be at to have a phone I'm not frustrated with, but at the same time not paying for firepower I'll never use.

11. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    I tax my phone. Not with gaming, but I need functionality and sheer performance so it can keep up with me. So it's usually a flagship device for me. I put my Note 4 DE in semi-retirement and am using the Moto X Pure Edition as my daily driver. It's a capable enough phone and I really like it... but it's not a Note. And I miss that Note functionality. Not everyone is like me, though: the Moto X Pure is probably MORE than enough for most users, at half the price of a new Note. Just figure out what you need your phone to do, and then shop around for the best deal on a device that will do that.

Swappa has great deals on pristine, gently used phones for less than retail ;)

KOLIO likes this.
  12. saltire

saltire Android Expert
    None

I think the "last year's flagship model" is a great shout to be honest. But as others have said there's so many variables, most of them subjective - depends on what you use the phone for, what is/isn't a dealbreaker for you, what kind of deals are about, whether you need to have the very latest shiny thing (nothing wrong with that) or whether you can live being behind the curve, not to mention modification options (rooting, rom/kernel development) etc etc.

Me, I'm behind the curve and my contracts have always been up in autumn, which I like as most new shiny phones have been out for a while and have had bugs worked out plus plenty of time for custom rom/kernel devs to do their thing. Nothing is really catching my eye at the moment though, so I might just go for a sim only deal and stick with my M8 (maybe just 'cos I'm a tight-fisted carefully considered Scot ;) ).

psionandy likes this.
  13. Sento

Sento Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 19, 2011
    sounds to me like you belong in the google nexus family girevik :D literally the definition of bang4buck.... join us :D either way you will be assimilated. There's a war coming kid, just make sure you are on the right side of it.

14. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    One difference between low-end and high-end is software updates: the manufacturers vary in how good they are (and if you buy it from a carrier that adds a further delay), but in most cases higher-end devices get updates for longer than lower-end ones.

dynomot likes this.