• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why do I want a Thunderbolt?

flspnr

Jan 11, 2010
Florida
I am looking at the new phones that verizon has to offer as I will be upgrading my phone this Saturday. I'm mainly looking at the Charge, Thunderbolt, and Revolution, as they're the ones with 4g right now. I'm thinking that I want the Thunderbolt, but I wanted to see you guy's opinions before make my final decision.

I have the HTC Eris, Rooted, right now. I love it, but it's starting to have a few problems (probably corrected with a new rom, but I don't feel like doing that so close to getting a new phone). I don't mind sense at all, and I do think I like HTC's phones.

I want a phone that has from and rear cameras (all three of my choices have this), with a decent MP for the main camera. I want something that has a good amount of onboard storage, for the apps that will not go to the SD card, I'd like one that comes with a decent SD card, and I want one that works well. So far, the Thunderbolt is looking good with 8GB onboard storage, 2 cameras, 4G, and, of course, the price.

Battery time isn't too bad of a concern for me, but I don't want to have to recharge it while I'm at work (about 8 hours). I don't use it too much at work, just on breaks, so I'm thinking any phone should be okay - my Eris barely lasts through work, but it does the job.

Mainly, I want a phone that looks good, works well, and will be supported for at least a while (my Eris hit EoL about 4 months after I bought it!). ALso, the ease of use after coming from an Eris or a Moto Droind would be a concern (my parents had the moto droid, their first smart phone, and that learning curve was a big one, I'd rather not go through all the teaching again, lol!)

Can you guys that have the phone give me the good and bad? Any major problems or huge benefits?

Thanks!!

I want a phone that has from and rear cameras (all three of my choices have this), with a decent MP for the main camera. I want something that has a good amount of onboard storage, for the apps that will not go to the SD card, I'd like one that comes with a decent SD card, and I want one that works well. So far, the Thunderbolt is looking good with 8GB onboard storage, 2 cameras, 4G, and, of course, the price.

Mainly, I want a phone that looks good
Thanks!!

based on these statements,youve answered your own question,lol. the TB has the most internal storage,a 32 gb sd,and the revolution only has a 5mp rear camera,IIRC. plus it is a sexy phone,IMO :D the charge looks like a toy,again just my opinion,but when you pick it up its a wierd shape and feels very plasticy.

i have to say,tho- while i do strognely feel the TB is the best phone vzw has to offer right now,youre so close to 4th quarter you may want to wait. if you like htc the vigor should be out soon,with a dual core 1.5 processor,16gb of internal storage,and a whole GB of ram,8mp rear and 2mp front cams,and be the first vzw device to come with the "beats by dre" audio system. 4g of course,4.3" screen with 720 x 1280 resolution.

my 2 cents for what its worth. i love my TB,but id hang on for another month and check out the vigor :cool:

Upvote 0
The Thunderbolt was a pretty decent choice when it first came out but is a pretty bad choice today considering its price. The Droid Bionic is coming out this Thursday and completely smokes the Thunderbolt in every measurable category. The HTC Vigor and Droid Prime are coming out after that and will also be significantly better than the Thunderbolt. For $249, the Thunderbolt is just a bad buy at this date. For $149 or less it would be a good choice.

Pros for the Thunderbolt: 4G LTE support, 32GB MicroSD card included
Cons: Poor battery life, poor build quality, very average CPU/GPU performance compared to all other Android devices(very poor performance compared to other Android devices in the same price range), buggy software

In short, the Thunderbolt is a very run of the mill Android phone with an LTE chip thrown in and that is what you're paying for. I had a Droid X before I got the Thunderbolt(got it on launch day) and all in all I regret making the switch. My $0.02.

Upvote 0
I'd wait if I were you. I love the Thunderbolt, and upgraded to it because it was right at the time the unlimited internet plans were ending. If that wasn't the case, then I probably would have waited as well. One other thing to consider is that no phone is going to be paradise on earth - there will be problems with the Bionic and any other phone (see reviews for charge, revolution, thunderbolt, etc). At least the Thunderbolt is past that point in its development.

Upvote 0
I'd like to know what you base this off of? The DROID branded 4G phones are $299/2YC. I have no reason to believe the Vigor will be any more than $249/2YC, just like the TB was

Have you seen the specs? Is Dre Beats stuff cheap? If it is as good as it is currently hyped, then it isn't going to be cheap. $50 more than the initial $299 Charge is a decent guess, unless marketing says there is something special about the $299 price point.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I would wait a few weeks if you can and see how the bionic does. The TB is a nice phone, but other than being an lte phone, it is 2010 technology. the battery sucks and HTC kind of treats it like a red headed step child with updates. We were promised gb back when the phone came out in March...we are still waiting.

Upvote 0
I think you would be happy with the Bolt or the Charge. I think the Bolt is really cheap and if you root it then you have the best phone on the market IMO.

Cheap = cost less than $70 — not a comment on the phone's quality.

$70? what are you talking about? I paid $272 brand new contract and thru best buy so i didn't have to deal with rebates

Upvote 0
Have you seen the specs? Is Dre Beats stuff cheap? If it is as good as it is currently hyped, then it isn't going to be cheap. $50 more than the initial $299 Charge is a decent guess, unless marketing says there is something special about the $299 price point.

in other words,hes not basing it on any offical statements or info ;)

if vzw wants folks to buy into LTE,theyre not gonna start blasting contract prices because of the specs. the $299 charge price is a joke considering what it is,and it is my insignificant opinion that the vigor will be $299 at release and quickly drop.

i dont understand why theres not more criticism of motorola for the stupid bionic. its taking them every bit as long to actually release it as it did htc the TB.

lots of folks jumping on the TB hater bandwagon. im not sure whats wrong with the build quality,and as complex as sense is its not suprising to me it takes longer to get software updates working on the FIRST lte device... that second radio makes things alot different than your old inc,or even the inc 2. "very average CPU/GPU performance compared to all other Android " really? how do you even judge that? :thinking: quadrant scores? *snicker*. :rolleyes: ive dropped mine,sat stuff on it,it gets up to 119* every day riding around in the car with me,and ive flashed the holy crap out if it with different roms/radios/ruus,etc. it very much appears to me to have the same durability of the other 2 htc phones ive owned.

sorry for the mini-rant,i just think folks are a lil critical of the first LTE device on a brand new LTE network. it doesnt matter what it was or who made it there are going to be issues. my 2 cents,for what theyre worth ;)

Reactions: Thats and Ibrick
Upvote 0
I get really tired of hearing the, "well its first in technology..." argument. The thunderbolt is just like the samsung moment flagship for about five seconds, then dropped like a first date with herpes. I had two refurb phones and two brand new ones, all had the same problem. I got tired of justifying it, canceled my contract (yes I hated my phone that much), and received an htc sensation 4g. I would recommend an Evo before the thunderbolt and its over a year old.

Upvote 0
I get really tired of hearing the, "well its first in technology..." argument. The thunderbolt is just like the samsung moment flagship for about five seconds, then dropped like a first date with herpes. I had two refurb phones and two brand new ones, all had the same problem. I got tired of justifying it, canceled my contract (yes I hated my phone that much), and received an htc sensation 4g. I would recommend an Evo before the thunderbolt and its over a year old.

while i agree the TB has its issues, i would still take my TB over an evo in a second. and not everyone has sprint service where they are.

to the OP, the TB is a great phone with a huge developer following. there are PLENTY of ROMs out there, and i have a feeling the next version of android (icecream sandwich) wont be a problem to get on this phone. the TB has been out for a while, so its EOL is coming fairly soon, especially with the Vigor coming out supposidly in October. if you can (sounds like you can't) i would wait it out a couple months. if not, the Thunderbolt is a pretty great phone. my ONLY complaint with it, is the battery life. but i just bought a dock and an extra battery for $30 and i am all set for a full day of heavy use.

Upvote 0
The Thunderbolt was a pretty decent choice when it first came out but is a pretty bad choice today considering its price. The Droid Bionic is coming out this Thursday and completely smokes the Thunderbolt in every measurable category. The HTC Vigor and Droid Prime are coming out after that and will also be significantly better than the Thunderbolt. For $249, the Thunderbolt is just a bad buy at this date. For $149 or less it would be a good choice.

Pros for the Thunderbolt: 4G LTE support, 32GB MicroSD card included
Cons: Poor battery life, poor build quality, very average CPU/GPU performance compared to all other Android devices(very poor performance compared to other Android devices in the same price range), buggy software

In short, the Thunderbolt is a very run of the mill Android phone with an LTE chip thrown in and that is what you're paying for. I had a Droid X before I got the Thunderbolt(got it on launch day) and all in all I regret making the switch. My $0.02.

Half of your cons are utter nonsense. I've played with new Droid phones from friends, and it is not run of the mill. Build quality is excellent. Mine is like new after six months, because I take care of it. It's a solid piece of hardware.

I wanted the Bionic, but they were doddling. If the Bionic didn't smoke the TB, Motorola should close their doors. What would be the benefit of a dual-core if it didn't?

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Me, I bought the TB last week from Best Buy and now have a week to see what the monkeys pounding the Bionic's keyboard come up with. So far I am very satisfied with the Bolt, ya ya I know "The Battery Sucks" .

I'll throw this old (7 months) post from another site out for discussion sake.

"Well, HTC is known for its easy breezy feel, its quick and never laggy, reputable and more than half (10,000 participants) agreed they loved HTC over any other Ui including Motorola. The bionic is going to be extremely expensive since it has dual core, which you dont need even if you want to play games (because they wont be making dual core tech and software to use on your phone till next summer...and chances are they will be crap, wait till your next upgrade) If you get a htcsense account at htcsense.com you can register your phone to have protective abilities so if you lose it or its stolen you can wipe all personal info and also lock it so they cant get in while leaving them a message like "please return I will give a reward of 100 dollars." and then you can list a contact number, Motorola doesn't offer that, and its free if you do that. chances are if you want to play games you must have memory htc thunderbolt has 40Gb memory all together. and will be priced at 250 US which is a good price since its a 4g phone,huge memory, best the bionic in speed test and the fact its htc made. there is so much you can do with this phone. (ignore dual core for now, its future proofing, and there is no point in buying something you cannot use right when you get it) ohh htc thunderbolt runs a 1ghz processor which is 2nd gen meaning its actually 1.2ghz processor,super lcd screen,amazing 1.5 front facing camera. the last poster is wrong about the processor! its second gen which makes it run faster! and since its a 1.2ghz its runs more efficiently keeping up with the bionic just fine"

Comments?

Upvote 0
I am looking at the new phones that verizon has to offer as I will be upgrading my phone this Saturday. I'm mainly looking at the Charge, Thunderbolt, and Revolution, as they're the ones with 4g right now. I'm thinking that I want the Thunderbolt, but I wanted to see you guy's opinions before make my final decision.

I have the HTC Eris, Rooted, right now. I love it, but it's starting to have a few problems (probably corrected with a new rom, but I don't feel like doing that so close to getting a new phone). I don't mind sense at all, and I do think I like HTC's phones.

Battery time isn't too bad of a concern for me, but I don't want to have to recharge it while I'm at work (about 8 hours). I don't use it too much at work, just on breaks, so I'm thinking any phone should be okay - my Eris barely lasts through work, but it does the job.

Mainly, I want a phone that looks good, works well, and will be supported for at least a while (my Eris hit EoL about 4 months after I bought it!). ALso, the ease of use after coming from an Eris or a Moto Droind would be a concern (my parents had the moto droid, their first smart phone, and that learning curve was a big one, I'd rather not go through all the teaching again, lol!)

Can you guys that have the phone give me the good and bad? Any major problems or huge benefits?

Thanks!!

Droid Bionic?

Upvote 0
I've had too many minor quality issues with mine. I'm going to contact Verizon in a few weeks and try to see if they can get me a decent replacement (had 4 refurbs sent to me that were sent back). If they can't find me a suitable refurb then I'm going to ask that they get me a different phone all together. I'd say after 6-7 failed refurbs they should be willing to work with me, but customer service isn't what it used to be.

If all else fails, I'll pay out of pocket for something like this..

Bionic_Launch_110829.jpg

Upvote 0
Unless you're broke and can't afford a new phone and/or need a phone asap because your current one broke, i would stay away from this phone. There's just no point to get this phone anymore because it has outlived its time as a state of the art phone. THere are so many good phones coming out. The bionic came out today and the droid prime will be out in a month or two. HTC Vigor shoud be coming out aroudn the same time. Wait for those.

Upvote 0
I've had too many minor quality issues with mine. I'm going to contact Verizon in a few weeks and try to see if they can get me a decent replacement (had 4 refurbs sent to me that were sent back). If they can't find me a suitable refurb then I'm going to ask that they get me a different phone all together. I'd say after 6-7 failed refurbs they should be willing to work with me, but customer service isn't what it used to be.

If all else fails, I'll pay out of pocket for something like this..

Bionic_Launch_110829.jpg

I had issues with my hotspot, after the original I had two refurbs and a brand new one. I ended up having to contact the bbb before anything was done. I got offered a revolution, which to me was totally insulting. My girlfriend had a droid for the longest time until the iphone came out, and after my experience with the thunderbolt its my opinion that verizon and android are not a good match. One day I will look at the code to see what their deal is.

Upvote 0
I had issues with my hotspot, after the original I had two refurbs and a brand new one. I ended up having to contact the bbb before anything was done. I got offered a revolution, which to me was totally insulting. My girlfriend had a droid for the longest time until the iphone came out, and after my experience with the thunderbolt its my opinion that verizon and android are not a good match. One day I will look at the code to see what their deal is.

I was offered any other phone Verizon has, as long as they can get me a re-certified version of it. If that's what they offer me this time around, I may just go ahead and get a recertified iPhone 4 and sell it on E-bay. Considering they sell for higher than the Thunderbolt used, I'll use that money towards something better. Damn shame that this phone isn't all it was hyped up to be, at least IMO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones