• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

why do words starting with i get capitalized?

osli

Nov 30, 2009
A minor annoyance... just wonderinf If this happens to other people as well. It only happens when the spellcheck/prediction/autocorrection is on, so I'm sure that is the culprit. It doesn't happen every time, but it Is frequent. I'll try a few words here and see what happens... if in inside is In If institute indirect is Inside If. If my count is right, It has happened 7 of 18 times in this post.

Know Issue? Discussed before? Bugging others? Make that 8 of 19.

Very strange. It's also a bit touchy on putting periods after double spaces... sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, and often it thinks I've hit the space twice when I haven't.

It's also flaky on when it recognizes a contraction. It usually gets I'm and I'll correct, but not always. Sometimes I wind up with Ill and Im, which isn't the end of the world or anything, but it is strange that it recognizes it enough to capitalize the I but not insert the apostrophe.

Seems like these problems are worse the faster I type... if I get ahead a word or two then I get lots of these types of errors. If I slow down, way down, to let it keep up I get fewer but still some.

I for one think the entire keyboard app needs to be rewritten from the ground up - UI, touch calibration, prediction and correction software - all of it.

Upvote 0
There is something either

A) Wrong with your phone as you have all kinds of keyboard problems.
or
B) There is something wrong between the phone and the chair.

Hard reset your phone, go get a new one, go use one in the store and see if you have the same problems. This will help you determine if it is A or B.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones